Thread: bc college

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

bc college

is BC college of optics shutting down, rumors have it that its in the courts :finger:

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by stiff View Post
    is BC college of optics shutting down, rumors have it that its in the courts :finger:
    why ?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Really? I haven't heard anything...

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I hope not !!

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stiff,

You may want to send a PM directly to tmorse, he would be the person to answer that question for you.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    http://www.courts.gov.bc.ca/jdb-txt/...09BCSC1226.htm

Here is the link to the BC Supreme Court "Reasons for Judgement" regarding this.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Looks like the loophole is closing on optician training shortcuts. All you second-career mature students should finish 2 years of school like the rest of us.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Landlord, that is really NOT a cool thing to type..

Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    Looks like the loophole is closing on optician training shortcuts. All you second-career mature students should finish 2 years of school like the rest of us.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for posting to help with stiff's question.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    http://www.courts.gov.bc.ca/jdb-txt/...09BCSC1226.htm

Here is the link to the BC Supreme Court "Reasons for Judgement" regarding this.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm back... and I am pleased to report that the rumors of BC College of Optics' demise "have been greatly exaggerated". We lost a battle (they had better lawyers) but cetainly not the war and, with a new law team in place, I have decided that I no longer need to keep such a low profile. I have certainly missed posting my comments on OptiBoard over the past year. And a very sincere thank you to my USA supporter, Jacqui.
    :>)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    And a very sincere thank you to my USA supporter, Jacqui.
    :>)
    And Thank You :D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is very unfortunate , the state that opticianry is in today throughout Canada . the real concerns should be legislation and the internet and branding !
    Last edited by idispense; 06-23-2011 at 06:09 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Would someone mind telling me how "better" a lawyer can get? Here I thought all lawyers were the same. What is the difference between a good lawyer and a bad lawyer?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by design786 View Post
    Would someone mind telling me how "better" a lawyer can get? Here I thought all lawyers were the same. What is the difference between a good lawyer and a bad lawyer?
    It's no different than a chess game. Very strategic and some are better than others.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    so... anyone know what the story is?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Still before the courts... so not yet ready for publication. Wait for the book;>)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the link this is very interesting.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-optician View Post
    Thanks for the link this is very interesting.
    Here's something else that is very interesting. In another thread ex-optician claimed to have been a rep for a manufacturer, but in an earlier post below he describes himself as a edger technician. So it appears that he claims to have observed BC College of Optics graduates at work while fixing an edger in the back room.

04-27-2011 03:07 PM #2
    ex-optician

Most of my experience has been in Ontario.I was licensed in BC and Ontario. I spent 2 years in BC as a sales and service technician for edging equipment. This was when BC was just getting regulated and Douglas College was just starting (1996-97). I also served as a examiner for opticians who were trying to meet the dead line before new educational requirements became mandatory. My impression of the BC college of Optics from the graduates I met is that they received inadequate training. The price of 11 grand seems steep. I would suggest you explore other avenues such as Douglas College or the NAIT program. Just my 2 cents I do not wish to offend any one. The national exam is not difficult to pass and is a step backward for some provinces. ******In his April 27, 2011 post, ex-optician claims to have been a College examiner during the in 1995-96 period when opticains were trying to meet a deadline before new formal education requirements were made mandatory. This College cut-off date was July 1st, 1996 , when only graduates of a formal opticianry program could challenge new licensure exams in BC. In 1995-96 BC offered five (5) 'grandfather exam' sittings for those working in the field. These 5 exams that ex-optician professes to have acted as an examiner consisted of USA's ABO and NCLE exams, that were imported here to BC by the new regulatory College. And like all ABO and NCLE exams, no examiners were needed or in fact used... you just sat down, completed these multiple-choice ABO/NCLE exams and then went home. So ex-opticain has some credibility issues.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not a fan of dumbing-down opticianry or of acquiring the minimum knowledge necessary to pass exams. Both of which are accurate in the case of BC College of Optics. (All due respect to my esteemed colleague Mr. T. Morse, who I believe is simply offering an educational product that is in demand by his customers and has only done so within the law.)

The real issue in 2011 is that opticianry is at a fork in the road.

Turn left and you find yourself working as an eyeglass sales clerk for a mediocre hourly wage.

Turn right and you may become a health professional, performing a complex service for a generous professional fee.

The choice is yours to make. I would submit that BC and 6 month programs are on the left fork.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    I'm not a fan of dumbing-down opticianry or of acquiring the minimum knowledge necessary to pass exams. Both of which are accurate in the case of BC College of Optics. (All due respect to my esteemed colleague Mr. T. Morse, who I believe is simply offering an educational product that is in demand by his customers and has only done so within the law.)
    Idiotic poppycock!! All BC College of Optics graduates are required to pass our separate and intensive Geometric Optics exam to successfully complete our 6-month program, plus rigorous written exams in both Dispensing and Contact Lens Fitting, and then finally pass our multi-station practical exams, so no 'dumbing-down' of the industry is involved. And this canard that BCCO graduates only "acquire the minimum knowledge necessary to pass the exams" is the the response of the multi-year public College educators, and many old-boys such as yourself, when asked to explain how any 6-month opticianry program graduate can possibly do so well on the National competency exams.

Landlord...you are expressing negative and cowardly personal attacks/opinions against myself and my opticianry career training business, all without having first divulged you legal name, which is contrary to OptiBoard posting rules. So either properly identify yourself, or shut up (and go away).:finger:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tmorse, I don't think I attacked you personally. I simply state my opinion that a 6-month opticianry program cannot give one as thorough an education as a 2 year program. Length of program is not the only consideration but it is a consideration nonetheless. I think that is fully within Optiboard guidlines. Calling me a coward and telling me to shut up is likely not within the guidelines. ... Ultimately, the last part of my previous post is still the most relevant. Opticianry is at a fork in the road. There are some who want a quick license in order to make an hourly wage higher than they make in the lab or as a receptionist. Those people look to a 6 month program. Then there are those who seek to learn as much as possible about vision care. These opticians will be better prepared to offer advanced services in exchange for higher professional fees.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=LandLord;391894]Tmorse, I don't think I attacked you personally. I simply state my opinion that a 6-month opticianry program cannot give one as thorough an education as a 2 year program. Length of program is not the only consideration but it is a consideration nonetheless. I think that is fully within Optiboard guidlines. Calling me a coward and telling me to shut up is likely not within the guidelines. [QUOTE]

Here is Steve's take on OptiBoard guidelines...

06-21-2011 04:14 PM #10

Steve Machol
    If people want to post their opinions, they can sign up with their full name. Anonymous posts are cowardly and will not be tolerated.

You can contact me and I will change your user name to your legal one. If not, then go away.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think this is an over-reaction. I do not see anything that constitutes an attack on BC College or anyone, simply an honest opinion - which is still allowed.

And frankly I'm getting a bit tired of this hyper-sensitivity. Nopnetheless I am inclined to just competely banish all discussion of BC College if that is what is necessary to stop this B.S.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information