Thread: Santinelli 9000sx PROBLEMS

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Santinelli 9000sx PROBLEMS

We have had this santinelli for about 2 years now and from the very first day have had troubles with it...:angry:. I have replaced the tracer unit 2 times the groover so many I lost count at 5, the lmu has went out..ect ect. Now for the last 3-5 months I have had to recalibrate it every week because my bifocals are coming off crooked. I went to the axis adjustment per costumer service and changed the axis around, that's what I have to do every week now. Well today I get in to cut some Jobs and The bifocals are crooked again, one job will be good the next crap.. surely to goodness I should not have to adjust the axis on every other job, is there something I am missing!? I have tried all the pads the anti slip discs I'm using the leapIII and whatever else they have suggested .. I think this may be enternal or am I just that much of a dummy...don't answer that question please:bbg:... What else is there to do? Besides use it as a boat anker...:idea:

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Is the belt or drive pulley/gear slipping that drives the lens turning shaft ? This would account for the constant adjustments, off axis lenses and calibration. Best to ask Leo Hadley at VSI though. He is the expert .

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaboyd2u View Post
    :bbg:... What else is there to do? Besides use it as a boat anker...:idea:
    Just a suggestion, you could sell it to me cheaply , I love a mechanical challenge .

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    Is the belt or drive pulley/gear slipping that drives the lens turning shaft ? This would account for the constant adjustments, off axis lenses and calibration. Best to ask Leo Hadley at VSI though. He is the expert .
    No i just checked that it is really tight there are no "teeth" missing... I am still working on it.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We recalibrate it every day before use and sometimes after doing a few hi index or trivex jobs just to be safe. If bifocals are crooked, it sounds like chuck might be slipping-possibly better quality leap pads might solve that (which you've tried). You should be able to adjust pressure of the chuck to prevent it form slipping. I've had the same machine for over 4 years now and it's worked great. We had to adjust the pressure and speed the lens came down on stone for trivex (kept chunking lens), which could account for off axis lenses.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly47 View Post
    We recalibrate it every day before use and sometimes after doing a few hi index or trivex jobs just to be safe. If bifocals are crooked, it sounds like chuck might be slipping-possibly better quality leap pads might solve that (which you've tried). You should be able to adjust pressure of the chuck to prevent it form slipping. I've had the same machine for over 4 years now and it's worked great. We had to adjust the pressure and speed the lens came down on stone for trivex (kept chunking lens), which could account for off axis lenses.
    How do you adjust all that?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Okay just got done recalibrating and testing a right lens that I marked at 90 put it in the frame it was 2 degrees off moved the axis bevel const from a -3.00 to a -2.00 reran a lens it was on axis. I then ran a real job, the right lens is perfect the left lens is cocked... I am now oppisite of what I was before...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaboyd2u View Post
    Okay just got done recalibrating and testing a right lens that I marked at 90 put it in the frame it was 2 degrees off moved the axis bevel const from a -3.00 to a -2.00 reran a lens it was on axis. I then ran a real job, the right lens is perfect the left lens is cocked... I am now oppisite of what I was before...

I used to own a Chrysler Aspen that required constant weekly carb adjustments to keep it running . One day my neighbour came over and said he'd been watching me and he'd had the same problem with his Chyrsler, but he figured out the solution . One day he traded it in for a Chev !

I had a Nidek edger but I use a Weco now.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We had some problems as well.

We changed out the roughing wheel to a trivex wheel!! That made a huge diffrence. You can also use base curve specific blocks, they are newer and make a noticable difference.
    We use super hydo pads and non- depending on the coating.
    We put a ricki pad on the back of all lenses.

We have the ME-1000 and the lenses look very good, but the axis could still be better.

The bi-focal is also the toughest lens to keep on axis!!

Best of Luck.

Craig

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blocker?

I have a santinelli 9000sx and blocker, I had this problem a few years ago and it turned out the the blocker was off axis.The handle that held the chuck was loose.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm with mrmac on this one. Make sure the screw that holds the chuck on the edger is tight. Also make sure your blocker is on axis and not loose. An easy way to check that would be to put a block into your blocker and attempt to twist it gently. If there's play in it, that could easily be the cause of your problems. If FT's are coming out crooked, at least you know it's not your lensmeter. We've got a 9000 SX Express and it works quite well.
    -Steve

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

re: crooked segs

Use round and curve top seg bifocals. No more crooked lines.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That could work, just make sure you do nothing but spheres, spherical equivalents and avoid prism.

So was it the blocker or chuck?
    -Steve

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Everyone should get a ICE-1000 blocker. I have had one for about a year now and never had any problems

Thread Information