Thread: Never trust tomey company (phoenix ariz)

Rising Star OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Angry Never trust tomey company (phoenix ariz)

Companies in Ca always mentioned Tomey has bad customer service and warranty to back their equipment. They wouldn't recommend buying anything from Tomey. A lot of doctors told me that. Here's a recent story.

A friend of mine quoted:

"Eye dr planning on buying a used Tomey Topographer (medical equipment) from a wholesaler. The instrument was missing some parts so I called the manufacturer, Tomey. I wanted the equipment to be repairable and useable on my patients; otherwise I would not buy it. I have purchased used equipment before & I always called the manufacterer to see if the equipment is still servicable for parts and for calibration. I talked to the TOMEY tech named Joe and I told him my situation. He said I have to buy more non-refundable parts (cone). He said 95% of the time, these equipments would NOT need calibration after popping the new parts in. Still, if it needs calibration, it would cost some more for me to send it in for Tomey to calibrate it. Nevertheless, he reasured me that the Topographer will be useable after going through all those possible steps.
    Thus, I went ahead and bought it from a wholesaler. The parts r used! I paid $1072 for them to be new. The Tomey salesman, Doug, told me the parts are no longer available & that I should feel lucky since they are salvaged from other Topos. As you see, this is told to me after-the-fact. Doug also said when making these Toporaphers, they came with their own original parts (cone) and are not intrchangeable bet machines. Otherwise, the Topographer wouldn't be calibrated. This contradicts what Joe said. My Topographer turned out not calibated after install the used parts. I then told them I may need to get it calibrated. Therefore, my next step would be to send it in; assuming that should solve the problem. Later, Doug then told me the machine is now no longer servicable for calibration. Again, this is told to me after-the-fact. He also said "all sales are final" so I am out $1072 & stuck with a useless Topographer. This event happened within 2 months. For them to tell me to buy the available new parts on the servicable topographer 1 day & then turn around & sell me salvaged parts from other Topographers (knowing it won't be calibrated) is deceiving. For them to quote me a price for calibraton & then turn around & say there is no more calibraton service is deceiving. They claim they were just trying to help me fix the old Topographer. Since they know they had misinformed me, they should refund my money."

Both TOMEY's employees Doug, and Joe seem to have given the doctor different information leading to the deception!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can't beat an old B&L Keratometer with the counter ballast on top.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Exclamation Optician

Thank you, for the information!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcxover2 View Post
    Companies in Ca always mentioned Tomey has bad customer service and warranty to back their equipment. They wouldn't recommend buying anything from Tomey. A lot of doctors told me that. Here's a recent story.

A friend of mine quoted:

"Eye dr planning on buying a used Tomey Topographer (medical equipment) from a wholesaler. The instrument was missing some parts so I called the manufacturer, Tomey. I wanted the equipment to be repairable and useable on my patients; otherwise I would not buy it. I have purchased used equipment before & I always called the manufacterer to see if the equipment is still servicable for parts and for calibration. I talked to the TOMEY tech named Joe and I told him my situation. He said I have to buy more non-refundable parts (cone). He said 95% of the time, these equipments would NOT need calibration after popping the new parts in. Still, if it needs calibration, it would cost some more for me to send it in for Tomey to calibrate it. Nevertheless, he reasured me that the Topographer will be useable after going through all those possible steps.
    Thus, I went ahead and bought it from a wholesaler. The parts r used! I paid $1072 for them to be new. The Tomey salesman, Doug, told me the parts are no longer available & that I should feel lucky since they are salvaged from other Topos. As you see, this is told to me after-the-fact. Doug also said when making these Toporaphers, they came with their own original parts (cone) and are not intrchangeable bet machines. Otherwise, the Topographer wouldn't be calibrated. This contradicts what Joe said. My Topographer turned out not calibated after install the used parts. I then told them I may need to get it calibrated. Therefore, my next step would be to send it in; assuming that should solve the problem. Later, Doug then told me the machine is now no longer servicable for calibration. Again, this is told to me after-the-fact. He also said "all sales are final" so I am out $1072 & stuck with a useless Topographer. This event happened within 2 months. For them to tell me to buy the available new parts on the servicable topographer 1 day & then turn around & sell me salvaged parts from other Topographers (knowing it won't be calibrated) is deceiving. For them to quote me a price for calibraton & then turn around & say there is no more calibraton service is deceiving. They claim they were just trying to help me fix the old Topographer. Since they know they had misinformed me, they should refund my money."

Both TOMEY's employees Doug, and Joe seem to have given the doctor different information leading to the deception!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From the posting guidelines:

"Please do not use OptiBoard to conduct a personal vendetta against any company or individual. This will not be tolerated and these posts will be removed."

You are dragging a companies name through the mud on a public forum, based on what a friend said? I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but still a tool, and I don't think this kind of post is appropriate. The company is not here to defend itself and you are posting someone else's experience!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    From the posting guidelines:

"Please do not use OptiBoard to conduct a personal vendetta against any company or individual. This will not be tolerated and these posts will be removed."

You are dragging a companies name through the mud on a public forum, based on what a friend said? I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but still a tool, and I don't think this kind of post is appropriate. The company is not here to defend itself and you are posting someone else's experience!
    At least he's not mentioning any names. (Unless you count "Tomey", "Dave" , and "Joe".):hammer:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information