Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WoW

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

WoW

Sooo, are there any WoW players out there?
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a WoW widow! My husband plays constantly. I hear about the raids, how he received an egg and got a certain rare dragon, the elfs and all that other stuff. It drives me batty!! Not that I have far to go. He tells me I need to play, but I'm too addicted to Optiboard
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GAgal View Post
    I am a WoW widow! My husband plays constantly. I hear about the raids, how he received an egg and got a certain rare dragon, the elfs and all that other stuff. It drives me batty!! Not that I have far to go. He tells me I need to play, but I'm too addicted to Optiboard

I've been known to play WoW and be Alt + Tabing between it and optiboard....

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

OptiBoard Apprentice Lachrymator's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Finally someone opens a WoW thread. I've been playing since '05 with one 6 month break in between. I have 80's on horde and ally, but don't get a lot of time to raid these days.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oopss.. must have spent too much time on WoW to have missed this thread! or Facebook and my farm :)

Anyway, I have an 80 balance/Resto Tauren druid Felyne on Garona. Guild leader for Guardians of Honor... a casual friends/family type guild that likes to raid a few nights a week partnering with the Darkside. I am also one of those annoying players who runs the bejeweled and peggle addons so I play games in game. (drives my husband nuts!)

I have been playing since shortly after release, but only have one main toon. Unlike many of my altoholic friends..

And Bart.. I will also alt-tab while doing FB games..

So an average Tues/Thrs night goes like this..

Get off work and go to Physical Therapy for manual adjustment, work out and massage

Pick up dinner on way home.

Eat dinner with the family and enjoy listening to the kid talk about his day.

Check homework

Log in organize raid and spend next 2-3 hopefully killing things and not being killed
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Bad address email on file csc_david's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    What realm are you on? I'm on Kil'Jaeden with an 80 lock. =)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by csc_david View Post
    What realm are you on? I'm on Kil'Jaeden with an 80 lock. =)

Sentinels, Alliance side, my 80 is a Warrior. Dryat SMASH!!!!

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    As much fantasy and sci-fi as I used to read (mainly Dragonlance, as well a few odds and ends of various fantasy series), I could never get into role-playing or WoW styles of games...I'd much rather ride dragons in my mind, and I can do it any time I want...:)

Probably a good thing, as I'm glued to my pc enough as it is, lol.

Bad address email on file csc_david's Avatar
    Occupation
    if any of you guys are on or plan to transfer realms to kil'jaeden, feel free to look for and hit me up!

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...aeden&n=Ghizza

i'm looking for arena mates (i don't care about exp or rating, i just need points to get better gear) =D

Occupation
    WoW? Really? Step it up and play EQ2!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    server: dawnbringer/horde. 80 paladin/80 mage. =]

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by csc_david View Post
    if any of you guys are on or plan to transfer realms to kil'jaeden, feel free to look for and hit me up!

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...aeden&n=Ghizza

i'm looking for arena mates (i don't care about exp or rating, i just need points to get better gear) =D
    if you run heroics now with the dungeon finder system, you should be getting new tier 9 gear very easily.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by slackware View Post
    if you run heroics now with the dungeon finder system, you should be getting new tier 9 gear very easily.

isn't that new system great? although I was running a heroic the other day and a guy died 3 times, blamed me and told me "lern 2 tnk" and left... funny how we didn't have any problems at all after the dude left... heh.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    nice. yeah the groups i join are sometimes somewhat decent. all you need is a tank that knows how to hold aggro and a good healer. dps shouldn't be a problem if you are hitting atleast 2k+. they are putting out the final patch today before the expansion release next year. i checked out your profile on wow-heroes.com for a minute or so. try running 10/25 man naxx and you should be fine. the other day i ran ulduar as the weekly raid and the group we had was awesome. probably downed the 2 bosses in a matter of 20mins or so. was great. right now im focusing on onyxia 10/25 man. needlesstosay, nothing dropped for me but i did win the bags haha. other than that, the new expansion is suppose to be epic. i know there's a spoiler video on youtube that shows the lich king's death. didn't get to watch it yet but i heard it's a really nice storyline.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by slackware View Post
    nice. yeah the groups i join are sometimes somewhat decent. all you need is a tank that knows how to hold aggro and a good healer. dps shouldn't be a problem if you are hitting atleast 2k+. they are putting out the final patch today before the expansion release next year. i checked out your profile on wow-heroes.com for a minute or so. try running 10/25 man naxx and you should be fine. the other day i ran ulduar as the weekly raid and the group we had was awesome. probably downed the 2 bosses in a matter of 20mins or so. was great. right now im focusing on onyxia 10/25 man. needlesstosay, nothing dropped for me but i did win the bags haha. other than that, the new expansion is suppose to be epic. i know there's a spoiler video on youtube that shows the lich king's death. didn't get to watch it yet but i heard it's a really nice storyline.

yeah raids are my next plan, but most people seem to want an "experianced" tank. and I have yet to do a raid. I'm working on earning my set armor at the moment (I've only got the one piece at the moment, but I'm almost to the next one.) I'm hoping we get some sort of random raid group or something - that works the same way as the random dungeon where it checks your armor to make sure you should be there in the first place.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    the best way is to just keep running heroics for the tanking aspect. do you have some sort of threat meter? omen is the best out there. as far as to see what sort of dps your group is doing, people should have the recount addon. oh and also deadly boss mods =] but yeah my paladin is setup for dps/healing. i have all my tier 9 gear plus 100+ triumph badges and about 60ish frost badges. the best thing is to just keep practicing. probably the best heroic to learn is dtk. alot of mobs there plus if your group is doing what they should, it should be cake. as far as the queue times for groups, you should be getting them nonstop haha. as far as dps nowadays, the wait time is about 15mins tops, then again my server is full of dps and barely tanks/heals.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    wait time for a tank is all of what, 10 seconds? :) I usually do ok in the heroics (unless I get stuck with a healer who doesn't heal) Not running any add ons at the moment.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    sweet. yeah im thinking about rolling out another toon. i want to make it a tank but i have to figure out what to make. it definitely has to be a plate wearer though!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i recommend a squidface warrior with herbalisim and mining.

2 extra heals and extra stam/str. totally worth it, I wish that was how I set up my tank to begin with. Not enough to roll up a new toon though. :P

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In some ways I like the new heroic system, but in many others I don't.

As a guild leader, I can't help but feel that the system seems to fragment our population even more. Guardians of Honor is a friends and family guild that does like to raid. We have made forrays into ICC, along with completing every other raid zone except Ulduar. Granted not every one of my members have due to assorted reasons.. but we do make an effort to rotate targets to get everyone in the content appropriate for them.

The new system rewards you for not doing things with your guildies. Titles, pets, etc come from grouping with strangers not friends. One doesn't need to work with others to accomplish multiple goals. If you need to run Forge of Souls, and I need need ToC (stupid abyssal rune..) we both can do what we want without necessarily working with the each other. While this means we both can obtain our goals perhaps sooner.. our level of interaction and coohesiveness is being lessened in that pursuit. Combine that with getting a lock out so you can't purposely run an event later to help a friend if you got the zone in a random.. and it drops the amount of cooperative play even more.

The new raid weeklies have been a pain in my side too. We try to post events 1-2 weeks up in advance. On Monday night, I am being forced to heal Ulduar on Tuesday cause only one other healer signs up. The rest don't want to bother cause there is no gear for them. (Regardless of it is means you can get the additional tanks and dps needed up to speed for the higher content you want to clear..) Then Tuesday the new weekly is Deconstructor.. now I have 15 people who previously said "no" begging to come and throwing hissy fits cause they will be denied their frost badges or have to *gasp* pug it if they want them. However when you ask if they are willing to committ 2hours so you can kill up to Freya, then it is too big of a time sink and won't do it.

Another example is when you are working on a larger zone, and had planned on extending your lock. Till you see that the new target is one of the guys you killed last week.. so progress is tossed out the window.. cause we have to have those 5 frost badges and start over again..

I like the rapid ramp up players can have for the gear. However gear doesn't equal skill and high I-level doesn't necessarily mean it is better than your 200 trinket either. But that "I hate gear score" rant is for another time..

I just miss the incentive for getting to *know* other people. Networking, building your friends list, recruiting, etc. Now you can hit a button, select tank, dps, or heal and be zapped in. No work involved.

(Ultimate combo.. hubby tank, and I healer.. no wait time ever)
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    i recommend a squidface warrior with herbalisim and mining.

2 extra heals and extra stam/str. totally worth it, I wish that was how I set up my tank to begin with. Not enough to roll up a new toon though. :P
    The ultimate combos I have been seeing is Pallys with Blacksmithing and jewelcrafting. The bonus sockets and the big gems to put in those sockets can get you an extra 10grand health and defense capped in no time..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    yeah, I can see how it wouldn't be that great for a decent guild. me I'm in a guild with my brother-in-law and that's it (except for the 3 alts of friends who log in...once every couple of months) I have yet to actually run in a raid :( ...someday, someday.

didn't think of the blacksmith/jewcrafting combo, that would be a good combo for a tank. I have a hard time justifying two professions that would always have to buy their materials from the AH or get them from alts though. that would be a total money sink - it would drive me CRAZY!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No doubt about it.. that combo is expensive. The people I see use it do have alts to gather mats and help offset the cost.

As for raids, there is a "looking for raid" option in your raid tab. I think they call it the raid browser. You can select the raids you are interesting in running and it will que you up. Granted it may take a while.. particularly if you are looking for just one zone to pop in. It works similar to the old looking for group option we had in BC. Since it is not cross-realm like the dungeon finder.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    As for raids, there is a "looking for raid" option in your raid tab. I think they call it the raid browser. You can select the raids you are interesting in running and it will que you up. Granted it may take a while.. particularly if you are looking for just one zone to pop in. It works similar to the old looking for group option we had in BC. Since it is not cross-realm like the dungeon finder.

hmm I didn't know that was there, I'll have to check it out.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Or if you ever decide you want to run with a "casual raiding guild" feel free to xfer or roll a toon horde side Garona and speak with me (Felyne). We are currently recruiting (we usually don't do so formally, but more through word of mouth..) since we decided our alliance with the Darkside was no longer working to our mutual benefit.

We usually have several running heroic groups, and try to get 2-3 raiding nights in per week. Some weeks we do more, others less. Right now it will be interesting as we try to settle on a night that works for the 10-13 raiders I have in guild and select friends only.. instead of the two guilds we have been using. Being all spread out through out the US and Canada.. sometimes it is difficult to get timing to work. Someone's early is another's bed time..So more people would help fluff the rosters.

Thread Information