Thread: What's Next?

Bad address email on file melvilletim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What's Next?

So, I have been in the optical business for 13 years. Still like what i am doing for the most part, but am getting to a point where i am wanting to do something more high tech. Like working for an advanced optics company making optical mirrors and complex lenses. However, i don't really know where to start. I ordered the ABO Advanced study book so i can at least have that certificate under my belt. A question for those of you who have been in this business for a long time and work for lens manufacturers and labs. Did you start as an optician and this was just the logical next step for your career? Did you get bored with what you were doing? I just feel like i've hit a plateau and am trying to feel out other avenues in this wide open business. I have no desire to get back into management, or work at a box store. I am the sole optician at an independant optical practice. Short of going back to college to get a degree in advanced optics, what can you suggest as an alternative to getting into another segment of this business?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Try an INDEPENDENT lab

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Try an INDEPENDENT lab

Are there any left ?????????????????????/

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Are there any left ?????????????????????/
    Very, very few of us :(

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    See if TI still has it's missile optics program in Dallas. You'll be working with gradient index lenses, saphire lenses, ray tracing and measure your accuracy in microns. Very different than an ophthalmic lab.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    See if TI still has it's missile optics program in Dallas. You'll be working with gradient index lenses, saphire lenses, ray tracing and measure your accuracy in microns. Very different than an ophthalmic lab.
    TI’s multi-billion dollar Semiconductor Products business is headquartered in Dallas. This business has built its leadership position on the core technologies behind Real World Signal Processing™ solutions, making TI the world’s leading designer and supplier of digital signal processor (DSP) and analog technologies.

Dallas is also home to other TI businesses including Digital Light Processing™ (DLP™) Products, Educational & Productivity Solutions (E&PS), and Radio Frequency Identification (TI-RFid™).

More than 30 TI facilities are located in the Dallas area ...

You can search for job openings and apply on line:
    http://focus.ti.com/careers/docs/sec...?sectionId=151

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think that the ABO Advanced certification will help much or translate into the mirrors, advanced and complex optics world. The business are very different than ours.

Have you thought about teaching, speaking, writing about optical dispensing and such?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I don't think that the ABO Advanced certification will help much or translate into the mirrors, advanced and complex optics world. The business are very different than ours.

Have you thought about teaching, speaking, writing about optical dispensing and such?
    I agree with Fezz. I would try branching out by sharing your knowledge, rather than completely changing fields which is what I believe you will be doing if you went into advanced optics.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck:cheers::cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information