Thread: Refunds. You can only find this in optical retail trade.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Refunds. You can only find this in optical retail trade.

I recently got some customers who were care quite unreasonable or demanding.

We had a elderly customer complaining that he can't focus well with his new glasses but had no problem with his old pair. The new prescription on the right was -0.50 higher than the old one.

So we decided to change the right side prescription to his old one.

However, he said that "if that's the case, why should I get a new pair of glasses if it's the same as my old one." I told him due to his eye condition, that's the best prescription we can give him. since he is complaining that it's not clear enough or causing focusing problem, we will changed it to his old prescription. He still insist that i give him a better vision if I were to change the lens.

I told him that he could go and see an opthal and get a new prescription since he don't trust what we are telling him. He refused saying that the ophthal said there is nothing wrong with his eyes except "minor" cataract. A lot of times here, minor cataract could mean they can see 6/12 best corrected.

Anyway, i told him i would give him a partial refund (50%) if he is still not happy with the options I have given him. He wants a 75% or nothing. He chose not to get a refund and took back his glasses. I am sure he wouldn't return even if I had given him a 100% refund.

I was wondering if he go and see a doctor and the doctor told him that he could not improve his vision, will he demand a refund from the doc? Bear in mind that refunds are not widely practiced in Singapore. this is for fear that consumers would take advantage of this policy.

It seems to me that only in the optical trade that customers can act unresonable and always want to have their way and sometimes get it.

How would you guys deal with such a situation? Offer full refund no matter what?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    That's what it is like here, ALL THE TIME. Once a month, if not more, a customer will come in asking for money back, discounts, free stuff or whatever else they can get their hands on. I wish we didn't (corporate chain) give in every single time, but we do. It doesn't matter what actually happen, what matters is what the customer believes and tells as a story. They get their way.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Win C View Post
    It seems to me that only in the optical trade that customers can act unresonable and always want to have their way and sometimes get it.

How would you guys deal with such a situation? Offer full refund no matter what?
    That's because the public *hates* their eyewear, and intuitively feels that if they don't "need" them, why should they pay money for them.

I *try* to explain to them that when their General/Internal Medicine MD prescribes a medication that doesn't produce the desired outcome/benefit, that the pharmacy DOES NOT refund the money for the medication. BUT, since *insurance* is paying behind the scenes, the client has no awareness of the $$$ being spent.

Perhaps if people paid for their meds in full, they'd be equally unreasonable.

The above said, I'd given 'em a refund and get on with my life.

Barry

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Post a sign

Please choose your frames carefully
    ONE Rx remake first 60 days
    NO REFUNDS NO EXCHANGES
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I knows we feels picked on, but we are not the only industry that gives refunds. The clothing industry does, the high fashion dress shop next door has a lot of very rich women who get outfits in the $ 500 -1500 range, wear it one night for whatever occasion and then want to return it.
    Home Depot gives full refunds at any time without reason, The have a lot of customers that buy lawnmowers at the end of Spring and return them at the end of Fall.
    Now you beginning to get the meaning of professional vs amateur. Professionals, like doctors and pharmacist don't give refunds for thier time. Us amateur peons do.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had to post a sign like bill suggested a while back, it has helped, but people still try. I take it case by case, but what I've realized is that, even if I do refund this customer, the chances they will be back are - slim to none. So in the long run, I'm better off standing my ground by not providing a refund.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just had a lady who chose a nice frame and we put a Lifestyle iD transitions with SHV on it. She comes to pick them up and says, "Oh I don't know if I like how these look". They look just like they did when you picked them out!!!!! I told her straight out that the lab would not take those lenses back based on that criteria. She spent a total of 49.00 out of pocket and VSP gouged us/payed on the rest.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

the chances they will be back are - slim to none.................

Quote Originally Posted by renee1111 View Post

.................... even if I do refund this customer, the chances they will be back are - slim to none. So in the long run, I'm better off standing my ground by not providing a refund.
    You are doing the right thing. This is a good time to chance these policies. When going back to older times there was never such a thing. Glasses are worn directly on the skin and no other products with the same features are not returnable, like lipsticks, underwear and so forth.

Who actually started this good for all return policy in the optical ?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    As an optometrist, I assume you were the prescribing physician (inside Rx)?

If so, you have a duty to the patient. While you cannot guarantee results, I think it goes a long way towards trust in your Dr-patient relationship if you admit the treatment was ineffective, and refund the optical bill. This is why you have a professional (non-retail) optical in the first place, right?

If you were not the prescribing physician (outside Rx), it is the physician's responsibility to help the patient decide whether to undergo a new treatment plan or not. You are in no way responsible for (non-optical) outcome.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Win C View Post

Anyway, i told him i would give him a partial refund (50%) if he is still not happy with the options I have given him. He wants a 75% or nothing. He chose not to get a refund and took back his glasses. I am sure he wouldn't return even if I had given him a 100% refund.

You left the door open for him.

Our policy: One time remake. If you didn't like the Rx we gave you, go somewhere else, get another one, and we'll fill it. After all, that's what we do - fill prescriptions.

If you get medication for poison ivy, and the condition clears up after 2 pills, you don't get your money back. If you take the whole bottle, and the condition doesn't clear up...guess what? Still no refund.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't see why we feel we are singled out. How many products do you see advertised "Satisfaction Guaranteed?" H*ll even most of the junk "as seen on TV" gives a money back guarantee. Sometimes getting it back isn't worth the hassel, and I often feel many products are making money on the shipping (which isn't refunded) not the product.
    But the public has become accustomed to being "Satified or your money back" unless of course you are a professional.
    I have actually known a few surgeons who either refunded or didn't charge if things didn't work out as expected (of course this was when the patients were actually paying thier own bills.)

Chip

Often times you will find the refering prescriber requests that you give the patient a re-fund or re-make. The very last thing you can afford is for the referring prescriber to feel you aren't ethical or honest, or just keeping his patients happy.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am amazed that no one seems aware of the main reason that return/refund/remake policies are so suspiciously generous in the optical field...
    I believe it might, just might, have something to do with the reason we can't post wholesale prices on here. I'll leave it at that.

Thread Information