Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myodiscs

Hi,

Can someone out there give me some advice on lens types. I'm a massive -35D and my optician has always fitted me with myodiscs. I hate them. I see people (well shapes) walking behind me through the carrier portion of the lens.

She has insisted that they are all that is available, but I wondered if a full field lens was available in this power.

Paul

Contacts. Get the myodiscs and use them only to find your contacts with in the morning and to find the bed and bathroom at night.

Chip

Comment

Freeform

I would suggest checking into a myodisc freeform lens. My understanding is that it would widen your viewing area giving you better peripheral vision and over all better quality optics. Also, you should always have a good anti-reflective coating on your lenses with that high of a power.

Comment

Hey Paul,

Please review our posting guidelines:

This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.

PS. Smooth move posting this in the:

Optiboard Amazon Store Forum!

:hammer::cheers::cheers::angry::cheers::cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by Fezz View Post
          PS. Smooth move posting this in the:

Optiboard Amazon Store Forum!
          I thought it was a cute idea, especially since he is supposedly an optical professional. :D

:cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqui View Post
            I thought it was a cute idea, especially since he is supposedly an optical professional. :D

:cheers:
            I giggled at that also!

I figured that it was a tad "short-sighted" to post in this forum!

Comment

You could get your optician to frost one side of the carrier, you can't see out of this portion of the lens anyway.

Chip

Comment

wait...how did anyone manage to post a thread here in the first place?
                Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Comment

Weird, huh?

OK, IF you're not a consumer, and IF you have a fair amount of money, you can have your ophthalmologist do a clear capsule exchange and reduce your minus to ludicrously low levels and you can get nice thin, normal lenses.
                  Otherwise,stare intently into a UV light for eight hours daily, and with luck, in a few years you might have cataracts dense enough to be removed under insurance. Same result. I was a minus 15 until my cataract surgery.
                  DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
                  "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Comment

35D is equal to a focal length of 28mm roughly, if the catoptric power of any of the curves matches closely with that focal length you will get sharp and in focus ghost images. A change in curve to change the clarity of the ghost image could help. You can reduce reflections or ghost images with an AR or like mentioned frost the carrier. A light tint could help as well to dull down the reflections.

Comment

Hi there,

This is what you want to do if you cannot wear contact lenses. I teach the Opticianry program here in Los Angeles so this is what I tell my students in situations like this. Younger Optics makes a blended Myodisc. This lens requires less work for the optical laboratory. It has advantages of the minus lenticular design and it erases the line between the bowl and the carrier so that it is not seen. The Myodisc Aperture portion is where the prescription is located, then there is the outter area known as the carrier in all myodisc lenses. This lens can be made with either a plus or minus carrier. Talk with your optician about this blended myodisc lens. If you have any more questions please let me know. I hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by deejc9 View Post
                        Hi there,

This is what you want to do if you cannot wear contact lenses. I teach the Opticianry program here in Los Angeles so this is what I tell my students in situations like this. Younger Optics makes a blended Myodisc. This lens requires less work for the optical laboratory. It has advantages of the minus lenticular design and it erases the line between the bowl and the carrier so that it is not seen. The Myodisc Aperture portion is where the prescription is located, then there is the outter area known as the carrier in all myodisc lenses. This lens can be made with either a plus or minus carrier. Talk with your optician about this blended myodisc lens. If you have any more questions please let me know. I hope this helps.

You might want to update that info. Younger discontinued their blended myodisk two or three years ago.
                        DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
                        "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Comment

A blended myodisc can be done for cosmetic purposes but it may not solve the problem you have regarding what you're seeing out of the lens periphery. You could frost the lens carrier but I suspect this will not have the desired cosmetic results you are looking for. My suggestion would be to find the absolute smallest frame you can tolerate and then demand that your optician find a lab that can run the job as a full field. With a -35 RX there will probably be some factors at play that may make this more difficult such as your PD/decentration in the frame, lens blank thicknesses and how you can tolerate the corresponding edge thickness of your glasses. But this would eliminate any "no-view" zone in your glasses and theoretically allow you to use the entire field of the lens.

And yes, blended myodiscs have been discontinued by Younger but you can make a blended myodisc in the lab out of higher index lenses than plastic.

Comment

There is also the Free-Form surfacing process which is being used at some labs as well. Blended myodiscs can be used with this process. Talk to your Optician about the free-form surfacing process and if it can be done with your prescription. 20/20 Magazine posted an article last month in regards to free-form surfacing special lenses. Even though younger does not make the blended anymore (was using younger as an example), you can still get a blended myodisc made for cosmetic purposes.

Comment

1. This is in the Amazon Store forum.

2. This is a consumer post.

3. This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X