Thread: Title Protection Act for the Profession of Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Title Protection Act for the Profession of Opticianry

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.oaa.org/files/TEST/TitleP...Opticianry.pdf

^^ That's the link, here it is for your perusal.
    Comments?

2009 OAA Resolution Proposal
    H. The Profession of Opticianry
    Proposed Title Protection Act
    8-2: Use of the title of Optician
    Whereas, the title Optician is widely used by persons in the field of opticianry, without legitimate credentialing of any kind; and
    Whereas use of the title Optician by non-credentialed personnel misleadingly creates an unwarranted presumption of competence to the unknowing and unsuspecting public; and
    Whereas consumers have the right to expect competent service and delivery of competently crafted eyewear products that are functional to their needs; and
    Whereas use of the title Optician discredits conscientious professional Opticians who validate their expertise at the state and national level by obtaining and maintaining credentialing that attests to a minimum basic competence, now therefore be it;
    Resolved that use of the title Optician shall be reserved exclusively to and for persons who have -at a minimum -successfully passed the American Board of Opticianry basic competency exam or substantially equivalent state examinations, with attendant recognition for contact lenses technicians who successfully pass the National Contact Lenses Examination or substantially equivalent state examinations, and be it further;
    Resolved such credentialing shall be maintained, attesting to an ongoing effort to maintain competence and professionalism, by wearing an appropriate and visible name tag in performing the duties of opticianry and/or contact lenses applications as appropriate.
    Submitted,
    Thomas Blair, Jr., LDO, ABOM
    President, OAG
    770 348-9955 (vm)

Tblair3@bellsouth.net
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation

I love the idea

But, is this a push to get the title national recognition, and national standards, or is it just a resolution to define what the OAA itself recognizes as an Optician? The former would be great, and I dare say unattainable in the current climate, and the latter, well I'm not sure it would make much difference, exept maybe to cut down on OAA's membership of recognised Opticians.

Any insiders know what's up?

Wes
    Last edited by Wes; 08-23-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: sp

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I seed it but does it make any real difference in the world what the OAA resolves?

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nice that they resolved that for us as if anyone is going to pay any attention to it. Personally I have resolved to have a decent name tag made and maybe even (never thought I'd say this) wear a lab coat again. In an unlicensed state the perception of the public may make a difference. Besides, it's my little experiment for the coming months.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The practice of opticianry is regulated by the individual states. The OAO has no legal regulatory stature.

Occupation

That was my question:

Is there any significance to this or is it all sound and fury, signifying nothing? Are they putting something before the legislature? Or are they blowing smoke up their own a$$es? Sounds like you collectively think it's smoke...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    Or are they blowing smoke up their own a$$es? Sounds like you collectively think it's smoke...
    Where there is smoke..............you will usually find fire!

Looks to be nothing more than a collective high five for the ones that wrote it!

Imagine a conference room with a huge round table and all of the Optiboarders who have joined the Pro's forum sitting around that table. Now imagine me writing a resolution proposal for a proposal for a resolution that since we have gathered at the table, that WE and only WE, can call ourselves THE SUPREME LEADERS OF ALL THINGS OPTICAL!

Who would take us serious? Hey.........we believe it, and it may very well be true, but who will even acknowledge that fact?

Would they believe us and take us serious if we wore badges with that title?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess you have to start somewhere?

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Where there is smoke..............you will usually find fire!

Looks to be nothing more than a collective high five for the ones that wrote it!

Imagine a conference room with a huge round table and all of the Optiboarders who have joined the Pro's forum sitting around that table. Now imagine me writing a resolution proposal for a proposal for a resolution that since we have gathered at the table, that WE and only WE, can call ourselves THE SUPREME LEADERS OF ALL THINGS OPTICAL!

Who would take us serious? Hey.........we believe it, and it may very well be true, but who will even acknowledge that fact?

Would they believe us and take us serious if we wore badges with that title?

Uh, Fezz, we did that already! Only the table was oval, not round.

You mean that title wasn't real?
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Redhot Jumper

LONG over do:cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Because I know Thomas Blair has the best interest of opticians at heart, I personally give him the benefit of the doubt. Of course their is bureaucracy in the way of all things but I don't mind standing behind him.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I remember correctly, the state of Colorado granted Title Protection to Opticians. No license, but it does limit the use of the title Optician to those who register with the state.

Sometimes, baby steps are necessary.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From what I understand, the purpose of the OAA Title Protection Act is to basically define "Optician" and what the minimum qualifications are to be an "Optician." Once we can all agree on what an "Optician" is on a national level, then the individual states can take that further to pursue title protection. Once we can get title protection, it's easier to get and/or maintain licensure. I think it's a great idea but it will take Opticians coming together in the individual states to make it happen.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I stand to be corrected , but you may find that title is already owned and registered.

Thread Information