Thread: Ufc

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Ufc

Any UFC fans out there? Does Joe Rogan's screaming commentary get on anyone else's nerves?

GSP is the best!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    Any UFC fans out there? Does Joe Rogan's screaming commentary get on anyone else's nerves?

GSP is the best!
    I am not much a fan. I will go see PPVs with my friends. I will have friends over for PPVs. But I do not follow it outside of that and would not watch it by myself.

But you are correct. Rogan is annoying and GSP is the best.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I am not much a fan. I will go see PPVs with my friends. I will have friends over for PPVs. But I do not follow it outside of that and would not watch it by myself.

But you are correct. Rogan is annoying and GSP is the best.

:cheers:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    :cheers:
    I also like Coors Light, that is Coors Light, because Bud Light does not give me any money (except it paid for my purse).

To be honest, I do not like Lesnar, at all. But I do like how he is a bad guy and I do not think Dane should discourage that.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I also like Coors Light, that is Coors Light, because Bud Light does not give me any money (except it paid for my purse).

To be honest, I do not like Lesnar, at all. But I do like how he is a bad guy and I do not think Dane should discourage that.
    Lesnar isn't liked by many people because of his attitude and his big size is an unfair advantage.

I happen to disagree. Fact is...each fighter has their own forte and advantage, size and weight just happen to be his. He is incredibly quick for a guy that size.

Frank Mir is a putz and has been.

Occupation
    Well Lesnar is a former NCAA wrestling champion. When he was a professional wrestler, he could do amazing stuff. Look at this one of him doing a Shooting Star Press:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r32kaZifKHA

though this one where he fell on his head is funnier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDQOt...eature=related

Occupation
    The second one is hilarious. That neck is way too thick to break.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bas Rutten!

Not only a tough guy....but funny too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3K-mrlYG7Y

**MAY NOT BE WORK FRIENDLY**

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Bas is a trip, Lesnar is an a$$, and GSP is my hero, although Lyoto Machida is a close second.

I actually like Rogan. He was the first UFC commentator I heard, that actually knew a thing or two about the ground game. I even learned a few things from his commentary when I started grappling. Of course, I'm one of those people that likes it when the fight goes to the ground and think most of the striking matches are boring (unless Machida is fighting). Then again, I also liked John Madden as an NFL commentator.

-Keith

Occupation
    As annoying as Joe Rogan is, I suppose that type of high energy gritty personality is exactly what fits the mold and is effective.

Ryan Seacrest would have never passed the audition for this one.

;)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Won money on Nog Saturday! Woo Hoo!

Occupation

*Spoiler*

Couture looked like he still deserves to be in the ring, but Nog looked awesome, like ready for a Mir rematch, on the way to Lesnar, awesome.

Damian Maia on the other hand was the biggest dissapointment of the night. Being a BJJ guy, that one tore me apart.

-Keith

Occupation
    Was looking at the salaries paid out on Saturday. With the exception of Nogaria and Courture, these guys got paid nothing. When a guy like Jardine makes only $55k for the fight, it is not good. I know that is more than many people make in a year, but he only fights like 3 times a year. He has to pay for training and stuff. Then he only lasts about 10 years. $150k a year sounds great, but you factor in only 10 years of work, and then what do you have?

If these guys were in other sports, they would be making three or four times that, and Jardine is no no-name. Nick Catone made $5k that night.

Occupation

Thumbs up

...and Maia only made $28K! Of course both he and Jardine lost.

The winners of all the main bouts took home something in the range of $100,000 except for Marquardt who brought home almost a quarter of a million for landing one very nice right hand.

Another thing to keep in mind is that all these fighters get sponsorship dollars as well and while the UFC is gaining popularity, it is nowhere near the revenue generator of many of the other major sports.

-K

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by keithbenjamin View Post
    ...and Maia only made $28K! Of course both he and Jardine lost.

The winners of all the main bouts took home something in the range of $100,000 except for Marquardt who brought home almost a quarter of a million for landing one very nice right hand.

Another thing to keep in mind is that all these fighters get sponsorship dollars as well and while the UFC is gaining popularity, it is nowhere near the revenue generator of many of the other major sports.

-K

Below are the exact payouts. It includes the win bonus.

In addition, UFC 100 did almost 2 million buys. That is at $50 a pop. To compare, there is a soft competitor who in April held its major show and did a million buys. It has 100 contracts and the lowest paid is $250k a year.

Main Event
    – Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira ($400,000/includes win bonus of $150,000) def. Randy Couture ($250,000)
    *Nogueira and Couture also earned an extra $60,000 for “UFC 102 Fight of the Night”

Main Card Fighters
    – Thiago Silva ($58,000/includes win bonus of $29,000) def. Keith Jardine ($55,000)

– Jake Rosholt ($26,000/includes win bonus of $13,000) def. Chris Leben ($30,000)
    *Rosholt also earned an extra $60,000 for “UFC 102 Submission of the Night”

– Nate Marquardt ($80,000/includes win bonus of $40,000) def. Demian Maia ($28,000)
    *Marquardt also earned an extra $60,000 for “UFC 102 Knockout of the Night”

– Brandon Vera ($70,000/includes win bonus of $35,000) def. Krzystzof Soszynski ($8,000)

Preliminary Card Fighters
    – Aaron Simpson ($18,000/includes win bonus of $9,000) def. Ed Herman ($24,000)

– Gabriel Gonzaga ($120,000/includes win bonus of $60,000) def. Chris Tuchscherer ($10,000)

– Mike Russow ($20,000/includes win bonus of $10,000) def. Justin McCully ($15,000)

– Todd Duffee ($10,000/includes win bonus of $5,000) def. Tim Hague ($7,000)

– Mark Munoz ($24,000/includes win bonus of $12,000) def. Nick Catone ($5,000)

– Evan Dunham ($14,000/includes win bonus of $7,000) def. Marcus Aurelio ($13,000)

UFC 102 disclosed fighter payroll: $1,285,000

Now if this show did 500,000 buys at $50 a pop, that equals $25 million. Plus probably a few million at the gate. With a payroll of $1.3 million, you do the math.

UFC brings in tremendous profits and Dana is just encouraging competition with these habits. It has tv shows, PPVs, merchandise, DVDs, ect.

Occupation
    Boy, my math was off on Marquardt by about $100k, sorry about that. On the surface it does seem Dana is underpaying his fighters and he may very well be, although...

1. We have no idea of what it costs to put on and market an event of this size or Zuffa's operating budget.

2. The UFC stages free events throughout the year with no PPV revenue (Zuffa's primary revenue source).

3. There seem to be no shortage of fighters wanting to get into the UFC.

4. So far, the competition hasn't fared too well.

-K

Occupation
    Dana has done well promoting the MMA sport. He has also done well financially. He must have taken a few blows to the head over the years though....was recently quoted saying the UFC will be the biggest sport in the world in the near future with the biggest draw and largest payouts???

Yaaa ooook...he certainly isn't paying close to a professional sports salary right now.

And it's highly unlikely he will ever be drawing fans to his events exceeding world competition numbers in soccer, NFL, PGA, MLB, NHL to name a few.

However, he has done well for a guy that's only 40 and I enjoy watching it.

Thread Information