Thread: Interested in Ophthalmic Assisting/Technician

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Interested in Ophthalmic Assisting/Technician

Hi all, I currently have my ABO cert. and I am interested in moving on to Ophthalmic Assisting or maybe an ophthalmic tech...

I have been searching for a good program to get started... I would rather do home study as I am a mother of 3 with a full time job...

As I understand it, you can become certified as an assistant with no work experience, but technicians and technologists need a certain number of years on the job under the supervision of an ophthalmologist, right?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes indeed, you can be an ophthalmic technician with no experience. Just have a pulse, and call yourself one. A certified tech is just that, certified, and requires hands on training to obtain the title. These techs become very proficient in many in office tests, and have to master many skills, and I don't believe you can do that at home in front of a computer.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    well ididnt mean becoming a tech with just online programs... just the coa part... i figure having my coa will at least get me in the door maybe in an ophthalmologist office then i can start getting on the job training to work towards getting my cot.

thanks!

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    KerriAnn,
    Although rare these days, there are formal training programs in select cities and colleges across the country. I'm sure there is a program near to your area. You can get on the job training, but it can be difficult to get into the field without prior experience. Your optician skills and ABO cert are definitely a plus. I would encourage you to get as much literature and materials you can get your hands on. Put together a great resume and get it to every ophthalmology practice in your area. Knowledge and skills will come with time, but a great attitude, strong work ethic, and ability to try new things cannot be taught. I think most employers may hire a person based on personality and the feeling that a person can learn, grow and succeed. Good luck out there. Slackbooks has a great group of publications geared toward ophthalmic assisting and technician work.

Thread Information