Thread: Laser surgery in Oklahoma....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Laser surgery in Oklahoma....

Does anyone know the extent of the procedures for which laser technology is used by ODs (sorry, it should be Optometric Physicians) in Oklahoma?

Bad address email on file NC-OD's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Oklahoma OD's are permitted to perform laser surgery procedures excluding the retina, Lasik and cosmetic lid procedures.

It is used for PRK, which is not performed very often any longer. Laser is most useful, and used mostly, in treating glaucoma (peripheral iridotomy/trabeculotomy) and after-cataracts (posterior capsule fibrosis -YAG).

The Oklahoma Board of Optometry website may have all the information you are looking for.

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Laser surgery in Oklahoma....

Originally posted by Homer
    Does anyone know the extent of the procedures for which laser technology is used by ODs (sorry, it should be Optometric Physicians) in Oklahoma?
    Entirely too many :) Within the guidelines of the Oklahoma regulatory board. As NC-OD said the scope is limited to PRK, treating glaucoma and so forth or basically anything from the eyelids up to the Crystaline lens or IOL ("Instant On Lighting" I like to call them :).

Yup, it won't be long before I'm practicing brain surgery for McDonalds :)

Anyway, most of the procedures done by OD's regarding laser are pretty rudimentary and superficial BUT (and I have to throw this in. Sorry, I can't help it...Pulling...me...into...it's grip :) the scariest thing I have ever heard was when they passed legislation to allow OD's to practice laser procedures in Oklahoma.

Oh well, they're gonna do what there gonna do, but not on me they aren't.

Take care,

Dr. Chambless O.D.O.O., M.O.A.I.S.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Heh, I'm in Tulsa and I can tell you that the radio station I listen to while in the shower is full of laser commercials. From eyes to removing unwanted body hair. We're laser happy individuals. :hammer:

(1,500 or 40)
    (an eye, or a region of hair )

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    NX,

Igia must be either very jealous or the number one selling products in Oklahoma too :) I'm waiting for "Dentistry in a Box" for the do it yourselfers :) It's just around the corner. I can feel it.

Take care,

Darris C.

Occupation
    *giggles*

Don't even get me started about Igia after I had a few zillion words to Igia's customer service after it took them nearly four months to deliver my order. :shiner:

On another front, while heading back from lunch yesterday I heard a new commercial on the radio about "conturing contacts" that a local OD was pushing. Something about wearing them when you go to bed, taking them out when you wake up, then having clear vision for a few days.

Anyone hear about these or have had experience with them?

Next thing you know, your going to have "Electro-Shock Eye Muscle Straighteners" and a "Sonic Cataract Softener" from Igia. :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

Worse yet, if you think igia is bad, wait until Ron Popiel starts to sell it:o

Occupation
    Eyecare...rotisary style.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello NX,

"On another front, while heading back from lunch yesterday I heard a new commercial on the radio about "conturing contacts" that a local OD was pushing. Something about wearing them when you go to bed, taking them out when you wake up, then having clear vision for a few days.

Anyone hear about these or have had experience with them?"

Yup. Around here they're called "Sleeper lenses" or "Corneal retainer lenses" It's a new way to say Ortho-K. It's a very old fitting technique that is being revitalized for profit reasons. It gives OD's a way to compete with LASIK, but it's only $1200 for both eyes vs. $4000.00

Imagine: $1200.00 for a pair of contacts that are too tight for your eye that you only wear while sleeping. What a bargain? :)

Take care,

Darris C.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by harry a saake
    Worse yet, if you think igia is bad, wait until Ron Popiel starts to sell it:o
    Now harry...,

Ron is my hero so watch what you say about the god of worthless junk marketing :) Hey! At least Ron would do it for "Not $4000.00. Not $3000.00. Not even $1000.00! But both eyes for only....$899.95. That's right. Just five easy payments of $179.99. And the Laser will keep the tissue piping hot during the entire procedure." :)

Ron is a god. Let's hear it for The Ron Man! The Popiellinator. The Ronster. The Pop-o-doppolis. YYYYEEEEAAAHHHH!!!! RON! RON! RON!....

Take care,

Darris C.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Snake Oil

Originally posted by Darris Chambless

Anyone hear about these or have had experience with them?"

Yup. Around here they're called "Sleeper lenses" or "Corneal retainer lenses" It's a new way to say Ortho-K. It's a very old fitting technique that is being revitalized for profit reasons. It gives OD's a way to compete with LASIK, but it's only $1200 for both eyes vs. $4000.00

Darris C. [/B]
    Snake Oil is my pet name for Ortho-K. The Doc just laughs but I am a convert. I was initially a huge skeptic about this. How can you wear lenses at night and then see 20/20 in the morning?? I ranked this right up there with VT...Snake Oil. However, since then I have seen the results first hand. Patients are happy with the results, corneas are healthy and results are usually as expected.

Careful screening is a huge key to success. That and education to end results and expectations. So far we have not had a case that has not had expected outcomes. We have probably done about 7 cases in the last year. It is usually the patient who comes to us wanting this procedure and are refered from the Ortho-K website. I can honestly say, even though I rib Doc about it, I have seen positive results across an age spectrum of 8-50 years of age.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It is very difficult to say anything about this without any experience. That is why I think you should contact with a professional physician to get information about that. http://www.ratemds.com/filecache/Sel...tor.jsp?sid=37, visit this link to find a surgeon in Oklahoma.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Darris Chambless View Post
    Entirely too many :) Within the guidelines of the Oklahoma regulatory board. As NC-OD said the scope is limited to PRK, treating glaucoma and so forth or basically anything from the eyelids up to the Crystaline lens or IOL ("Instant On Lighting" I like to call them :).

Yup, it won't be long before I'm practicing brain surgery for McDonalds :)

Anyway, most of the procedures done by OD's regarding laser are pretty rudimentary and superficial BUT (and I have to throw this in. Sorry, I can't help it...Pulling...me...into...it's grip :) the scariest thing I have ever heard was when they passed legislation to allow OD's to practice laser procedures in Oklahoma.

Oh well, they're gonna do what there gonna do, but not on me they aren't.

Take care,

Dr. Chambless O.D.O.O., M.O.A.I.S.
    Oklahoma 0.D's that are laser certified, can perform yag, slt, prk, and iridotomy. I have personally performed 100's of yags and iridotomy's. Honestly, these procedures are straightforward and safe. Many a day I would rather perform 2 yags and go home. Much easier money than listening to patients griping about their glasses.....

Thread Information