Thread: Stocking contacts in shop

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Stocking contacts in shop

So I was wondering what some of you thought about this.

Do you think it is generally worth it to stock conntact lenses in the shop? or just order them as needed? On the one hand you'd have to stock a lot of contacts, but on the other hand I suppose that having the contacts available RIGHT NOW would be appealing to our impatient customers.

anyway, just wanted to hear your 2 cents
    :idea:
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    So I was wondering what some of you thought about this.

Do you think it is generally worth it to stock conntact lenses in the shop? or just order them as needed? On the one hand you'd have to stock a lot of contacts, but on the other hand I suppose that having the contacts available RIGHT NOW would be appealing to our impatient customers.

anyway, just wanted to hear your 2 cents
    :idea:

It's easier to dispense to patients when you have the contacts stocked in your practice. Better than giving 1800 contacts the business!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Only if you can get a better deal!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now days even free trial lenses go out of date before they are used. Don't waste much time and money in inventory unless you are doing a Wally Mart type operation.
    You will find that you lose at least 25% of all disposable SL patient before the first refill unless you give them an Rx only good for a year and force the patient to get a years worth on the first visit before the see the numers on the box.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why not stock something that will actually make you some cash?

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Why not stock something that will actually make you some cash?
    +1....With the current margins on CL's, you could get more off your investment in a money market at 1%.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think you lose existing patients by not stocking contacts. Outside RXs, sure, but that's someone who is already price shopping, or who has been denied trials at their prescribing doctor's office. Those people aren't likely to become loyal to you anyway, so why invest in all that inventory to suit them?

By and large, the contact lens verification requests we get from online vendors are for people who never bought from us anyway. We really don't lose much to web sales, probably becuase we make sure our patients know they can get free shipping and a rebate with a year's supply, and they can use their insurance. It's the best deal for them, and they don't have to worry about whether they'll actually get their contacts, or if the order will be right.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi guys and gals! :)

I don't sell enough to make it worth my while to stock them, they'd probably be out of date before I could get them sold. I can get most of them within 2-3 days, and my contact lens patients are happy with that.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We stopped stocking contacts about 11 months ago, and the results have been surprising!

When we stocked them, patients would see them all on the shelf and say "Give me one box for each eye", and that would be it.

Now, the receptionists tells them the price of the year's supply after rebate, tells them they will be delivered to their door w/in 3 days, and takes the payment in full. We never have to touch them, and we don't have to do one and two box sales.

If we sell one box, they pay a very high premium.

I'll never stock them again...:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Haven't stocked them in years. With a pair of trials after the exam they are good for two weeks so they don't mind waiting a few days. The rebates help sell the year supply and if they are midway through the year and are out they can stop in, order another four boxes and pick up a trial pair to get them through. If the contact lens suppliers worked it so that they would give you a better deal on a bulk order but let you bank it and order as needed I would do it.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think everyone is missing out on a key advantage of stocking lenses and that is foot traffic. Without people in your store your miss out on the opportunity to sell additional product like plano sunglasses and that pair of glasses contact lens wearers need for the days they have to be out of their lenses. I don't understand why some are willing to give away business when it only takes a small investment to start. I personally purchased 200 boxes of Oasys on top of my regular stock with is 4 boxes of each power just to get their special pricing through september.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kdavenport View Post
    I personally purchased 200 boxes of Oasys on top of my regular stock with is 4 boxes of each power just to get their special pricing through september.
    I appreciate the discount advantage. (Discount is my middle name;))

The problem I run into, especially with walk-in traffic, is that as soon as you buy a truckload of Oasys, then the first person through the door wants a Proclear. I think that even WM (1-800) has found out that stocking contacts is not the way to go.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kdavenport View Post
    Without people in your store your miss out on the opportunity to sell additional product like plano sunglasses and that pair of glasses contact lens wearers need for the days they have to be out of their lenses.
    I have given up on the contact lens patients and the pipe dream that somehow these folks will magically start spending on sunglasses, spare pairs, cleaners, gift certificates, or anything else we *think* they will purchase!

Contact lens patients drain my office MOJO!

As far as I am concerned they can all GO-GO!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have given up on the contact lens patients and the pipe dream that somehow these folks will magically start spending on sunglasses, spare pairs, cleaners, gift certificates, or anything else we *think* they will purchase!
    Yeah, that model pretty much went out the window the day they struck oil up near Franklin, Pa.

They turned the oil into gasoline, which gave off habit forming fumes, which produced endorphins in sunglasses wearers that made them addicted to buying their sunglasses at the local mini-mart.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    They turned the oil into gasoline, which gave off habit forming fumes, which produced endorphins in sunglasses wearers that made them addicted to buying their sunglasses at the local mini-mart.

Hey....why not?

Contact lens wearer: "Why would I want to spend more than $4.99 on a pair of sunglasses when I am just going to lose them anyway!"

Bleeeeeeeeeeeeech......

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey....why not?

Contact lens wearer: "Why would I want to spend more than $4.99 on a pair of sunglasses when I am just going to lose them anyway!"

Bleeeeeeeeeeeeech......
    heh, I've gotten into the habbit of telling them that if they do get a sunglass from elsewhere to at least make sure they are polarized - makes em somtimes decide to just buy from me, or they come back a couple days later for a pair
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey....why not?

Bleeeeeeeeeeeeech......

We are in a much more desirable are than you (obviously), so we advise them not spend more than $5.99 (puff,puff) for their shades.

I reason with them that if they're going to buy something that is warped and give them headaches (that they'll blame on the contacts), why spend more than you have to.

I go on to tell them (I really do) that the only time to spend more than a few dollars on suns is when you want a real pair...and then we'll be here for them. (With our increasingly dwindling stock of suns:o)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Fezz is right--Again!

Damn it Fezz you are right again! If you get 1 out of 100 that want to spend $$$ on glasses or sunglasses you're lucky. Just not worth the headaches and overhead expense.;)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would not stock contact lenses in my office. We usually get them next day anyway if we order by three pm.

Thread Information