Thread: How Swift is Switch Eyewear?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How Swift is Switch Eyewear?

I was asked about these frames and this company today.

Is anybody using them?

Thoughts? Ideas?

http://www.switchvision.com/about_us.html

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To be candid, I've always felt that no one but a complete tool would actually carry around multiple sun lenses and switch them out every few hours (or minutes, if the sun moves behind a cloud) depending on light conditions.
    Seeing as how pro athletes, snipers, and pilots somehow have managed with one sun lens, it's come as a shock to me to find out that the average person needs Drivewear or interchangeable lenses simply to find their way home without driving into a ravine or kissing the neighbor's dog who they've mistaken for their wife due to the lighting conditions. But there's another reason I'm against these gimmicks...
    Imagine this--you're wearing a nice pair of designer sunglasses. You're chatting up a good-looking girl at an outdoor cafe. As the sun begins to set, you whip out your lens assortment, select the right ones, and attach them to your magnetic glasses. I'm thinking that might not be the best move, unless said cafe is right outside a Star Trek convention.
    Please don't do this to your male patients.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anybody else?

Is this company connected with Liberty Optical?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Anybody else?

Is this company connected with Liberty Optical?

I'm not familiar w/them, but it they are associated w/ LIberty, that's a good enough reason for me to not bother w/them.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We have just received them and have placed them in the dispensary. I believe they are a "Liberty" company. My GM has just placed an RX order and I will post his remarks when they come-in.

The lenses "change-out" with relative ease and once inserted they are very secure, they pass the shake test.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    We have just received them and have placed them in the dispensary. I believe they are a "Liberty" company. My GM has just placed an RX order and I will post his remarks when they come-in.

The lenses "change-out" with relative ease and once inserted they are very secure, they pass the shake test.
    If they are from Liberty, be aware they will sell them to WM so cheap they can retail them for what you pay for them. Happened to me, that's why I dropped Liberty.

Hmmmm.
    Liberty's Address:

107 Fairfield Road
    Fairfield, NJ 07004
    Phone: 800-444-5010
    Local: 973-882-0986
    Fax: 973-575-1274

Switch's address:

SWITCH™ VISION
    103 Fairfield Road,
    Fairfield, NJ 07004

You make the call.

And I wonder if Aspex will sue them for using magnets.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    If they are from Liberty, be aware they will sell them to WM so cheap they can retail them for what you pay for them. Happened to me, that's why I dropped Liberty.

Hmmmm.
    Liberty's Address:

107 Fairfield Road
    Fairfield, NJ 07004
    Phone: 800-444-5010
    Local: 973-882-0986
    Fax: 973-575-1274

Switch's address:

SWITCH™ VISION
    103 Fairfield Road,
    Fairfield, NJ 07004

You make the call. According to Google Maps, they are a full 217 feet apart (in the same building).

And I wonder if Aspex will sue them for using magnets. Or for selling them in WM?
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Borysko View Post
    To be candid, I've always felt that no one but a complete tool would actually carry around multiple sun lenses and switch them out every few hours (or minutes, if the sun moves behind a cloud) depending on light conditions.
    Seeing as how pro athletes, snipers, and pilots somehow have managed with one sun lens, it's come as a shock to me to find out that the average person needs Drivewear or interchangeable lenses simply to find their way home without driving into a ravine or kissing the neighbor's dog who they've mistaken for their wife due to the lighting conditions. But there's another reason I'm against these gimmicks...
    Imagine this--you're wearing a nice pair of designer sunglasses. You're chatting up a good-looking girl at an outdoor cafe. As the sun begins to set, you whip out your lens assortment, select the right ones, and attach them to your magnetic glasses. I'm thinking that might not be the best move, unless said cafe is right outside a Star Trek convention.
    Please don't do this to your male patients.

I think this may be over the average male opticians head LMAO:bbg:
    Nate

My Night A/R Guy wears Dididium Lenses

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ben tried before, didn't sell then, won't sell now.

Chip

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, multi-discipline shooters will use different lenses for different times of the day and different events. I'm one of them. However, this is such a niche thing that I don't see it even being worthwhile for nearly anyone else. When going between different events (indoors, outdoors, and then shotgun,) I have friends that will change lenses out. It's too much of a PITA for me so I just have three different sets of glasses.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't stand snow skiing w/googles, and use Rudy Projects instead. I frequently change out the lens. It's a pain sometimes trying to balance the lenses on a knee while on a lift, but it's not that difficult, and well worth being able to see as good as possible in various conditions.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Any updates, yet??

Hi, Scriptfiller!
    Any comments or reviews you or your GM would like to share on these??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    My GM received his Switch eyewear a few week ago and really likes them. It appears they use a MEI edger to make the proper fittings on the top of the lense for the magnets and "hook". The optics were wrap compensated and my GM reports they are very close to Maui Jim. I think it took about 2.5 weeks to RX.
    Clinton Tower

ALT248=°

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    Why would they sue them for selling in WM? Aspex rebrands their frames and sells to WM as George.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Why would they sue them for selling in WM? Aspex rebrands their frames and sells to WM as George.
    Not here. There are Aspex, Takumi, EasyTwist, and EasyFlip frames on the shelf at Wally just down the road.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've had Switch in our office for about a month now. The people that get them love them and are usually into different sports and don't want to carry multiple sunglasses if they go on vacation or something. I had a patient buy 2 pairs of plano kits, he liked them that much.

It seemed a little dorky at first glance, but in my opinion so are cellphone earpieces and they have taken off.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Injected frame....................

Looks like an injected frame and the nose pdas are not adjustable.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The optics are from Shamir and the same as Maui Jim.

My GM received his Switch eyewear a few week ago and really likes them. It appears they use a MEI edger to make the proper fittings on the top of the lense for the magnets and "hook". The optics were wrap compensated and my GM reports they are very close to Maui Jim. I think it took about 2.5 weeks to RX.
    They use the same software package from Shamir and they are done on the MEI edgers with finishing work done at Liberty. They mount the magnets in NJ and it is a unique product.

Craig

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wear the same thing everyday?

Quote Originally Posted by nate509 View Post
    i think this may be over the average male opticians head lmao:bbg:
    to believe that one type of lens color or type is enough for all activities is just being closed minded. Do you wear the same shoes for every activity? I hope not. Is one pair of glasses good for all activities? If this is your attitude and belief then you are really not thinking in the best interests of your patients/customers. If you tayor the glasses for the activity. You make that activity easier and more enjoyable. Think more openly and make more people happy, increase your value as their ecp. You might also find your profits increase without hardly trying!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by SEEWINTERPARK View Post
    to believe that one type of lens color or type is enough for all activities is just being closed minded. Do you wear the same shoes for every activity? I hope not. Is one pair of glasses good for all activities? If this is your attitude and belief then you are really not thinking in the best interests of your patients/customers. If you tayor the glasses for the activity. You make that activity easier and more enjoyable. Think more openly and make more people happy, increase your value as their ecp. You might also find your profits increase without hardly trying!
    In this case it would be hard to make profits if WM sells them for what you buy them for. Liberty is famous for doing that and backstabbing the independent ECP.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All of the reps for Switch were on salary, but sales have dictated they go on commission this month!!

It is a cool niche product, but nothing yo could do more than a few per year.

Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I think we have done around four or five since receiving the line. Price is very similar to the Maui Jim Rx.
    Clinton Tower

ALT248=°

Thread Information