Thread: Star Trek

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Star Trek

Being the constantly broke optician that I am I have to wait for movies to get to the cheap movie theater (all shows .99) that is what took me so long to see the new Star Trek.
    I hate reboots. That being said this was the best Star Trek movie yet, not just better because of todays special effects better written, better acted, better story. part of me hopes they do more. the other part of me hopes they let it go out with a huge bang rather than draging it down. if you have a cheap movie theater go see it, rent it, steal your neighbors copy.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's at my discount theater now. I agree, it's a great movie even if you have never seen any Star Trek shows. It's even better if you have.

I often wait for movies to reach my discount theater before seeing them, but this one I saw the first weekend.

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    The Wrath of Kahn is the best Star Trek movie, Having said that, this was pretty good. at least now, they have opened the door to right someprevious wrongs. For instance, killing Captain Kirk by having him fall off a cliff. Please........

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I thought it was pretty exciting to see the first of the red shirts dying.
    I didn't care much for the original-series-killing massive contradictions, though.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I didn't care much for the original-series-killing massive contradictions, though.
    I agree however I think they explained it in a very plausable (within the Star Trek universe) way.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

I and two of my friends actually went to the opening night showing as a red shirt. I particularly appreciated the fencing reference, as I myself fence.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was a "trekkie" right from the first episodes airing in the 60s. I LOVED the "to boldly go where no man has gone before" line, and always hated the "Trouble with Tribbles" episode.
    I also liked the episode of "the Big Bang Theory where Penny gives Sheldon an autographed cut-out of Leonard Nemoy.

Live Long and Prosper
    David

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    I was a "trekkie" right from the first episodes airing in the 60s. I LOVED the "to boldly go where no man has gone before" line, and always hated the "Trouble with Tribbles" episode.
    I also liked the episode of "the Big Bang Theory where Penny gives Sheldon an autographed cut-out of Leonard Nemoy.

Live Long and Prosper
    David

"Do you know what this MEANS!!!??? I can grow my OWN little Leonard Nimoys!!!"

Just give him the Emmy.
    Like Penny said to the new girl upstairs, "It's like they don't have their shields up... WHERE THE H*** DID THAT COME FROM?":D:D:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Does anyone remember the original Star Trek episode when Spock was attacked by a yellowish, orange creature resembling a cross between an over-easy egg and a pancake which could stick to walls and ceilings? Someone just cooked something that looks like that in our lunch room. I believe the episode might have been called Spock's Brain. I think I will eat out today.

Bad address email on file donovanbaldwin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I enjoyed Star Trek once I got to know it, but I was stationed in Germany when it first appeared on TV and when I returned to the States, I had never heard of it! I was at my mom and dad's house when I asked what they were going to watch that night, and mom said, "Star Trek". I had to ask her what it was. I enjoyed it, and, as a science fiction reader (Asimov, Heinlein, etc.) I was glad to see a sci-fi TV show that was a step up from Lost in Space, but I was NOT impressed. Guess that's why I'm not a TV critic.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    have any of you seen the "New Voyages" series? its a fan made series that's attempting to finish out the orginal series. They have tons of people from the actual series helping them out - not to mention the fact that Sulu and Chekov are actually in one episoide apeice.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I LOVED this movie....it didn't hurt that one of my best friends was an extra in it (seen up close in several scenes).

Just a brilliant film. As the credits began to roll, the first thought I had, was that I wanted the next episode to be playing the next week. I want this cast and crew to be making a TV series of this show.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    I LOVED this movie....it didn't hurt that one of my best friends was an extra in it (seen up close in several scenes).

Just a brilliant film. As the credits began to roll, the first thought I had, was that I wanted the next episode to be playing the next week. I want this cast and crew to be making a TV series of this show.

Grubie,

good to see you posting, I too would look forward to seeing this cast again, you could easily bring this to tv. a more emotional spock would be an interesting twist to what we are used to.

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I think that's why JJ wrote the script the way he did. In the original timeline, Spock's parents remained alive until old age, with Amanda dying much sooner than Sarek of course. But Original-Spock wasn't forced to really deal with "having loved and lost" in the way that New-Spock had to, so he was able to continue controlling his emotions with Vulcan technique. O-Spock also didn't reconcile with Sarek until after Sarek came down with a disease where he needed a blood transfusion--which only Spock could provide. Even then, relations were still very stiff and tense and the two never became close. Whereas N-Spock and Sarek reconciled much sooner and bonded over the death of Amanda.

But in the new one, after Spock lost everything and the talk he had with Sarek, that it was OK to love, not to completely shove his human side out of the picture, changed his perception enough he was able to have a hot PUBLIC make-out session with Uhura, lol. Quinto makes for a hot Spock--mm-hmmm!

In the next movie, I think we'll see Spock and Uhura trying to pursue a relationship, but Spock's dedication to Star Fleet will ultimately trump any romantic endeavors. Uhura's feelings will be hurt, she'll probably consider transferring to another ship so she won't have to see Spock everyday, but she'll decide not to leave and settle for a friendship with Spock on the Enterprise.

Nimoy was much more enthusiastic about this film than the ones made with the original cast back in the 80's. In an interview, he even said that "Star Trek: The Movie" wasn't made well, and could've been so much better. He liked the way JJ preserved the "canon" of the TOS, and took the characters in a slightly different direction. The graphics and scale were mind-blowing, and the characters all had more depth than the originals were given to play. He even said he was jealous of the way New-Spock got to make out with Uhura! LOL

Nimoy cracks me up. He's a funny SOB.

I saw it three times in the theater, and downloaded it after watching it the first time. I've got it on my ipod too. I can't wait until the DVD comes out and I can have a better copy, not to mention the behind the scenes and extras! Love those!
    Last edited by LilKim; 08-27-2009 at 09:43 AM.

Thread Information