Thread: Seeking Guidance on Study Guide for ABO from OpenOptix.org

Bad address email on file donovanbaldwin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Seeking Guidance on Study Guide for ABO from OpenOptix.org

I have just downloaded the ABO study guide from http://www.openoptix.org . I have been out of the business for 11 years and just finished my second week in a lab. I worked for 7 years in a lab, managed it for a while, and also did dispensing and styling, but never got certified.

Is anyone familiar with this study guide and can they tell me how valuable it would be for ABO preparation?

Thanks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it is a great resource. I think that it would be a great starting point for your situation. I also suggest that you get yourself a copy of:

TOPS Manual, Michael DiSanto
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...ht=TOPS+manual

And a copy of:

System for Ophthalmic Dispensing, Brooks & Borish

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/075...ZYDDCX2YJAJ0MD

Bad address email on file kelanor's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used the OpenOptix guide as a refresher when I needed to re-take my ABO in May and it was a big help.

The information in the quizzes is current, up to date and very similar to the test questions of the ABO.

The TOPS manual is good as well. I also really liked the math review book that I got from the NAO website.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One of my apprentices used the OpenOptix guide for the ABO and he said that it helped him a lot.
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is an office near me that had several people (none opticians) pass the ABO in May just by using this study guide.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    There is an office near me that had several people (none opticians) pass the ABO in May just by using this study guide.
    I LOVE to hear that! It really, makes it feel like we're doing something worthwhile. I also have received a number of emails frem people with similar stories.

Donovan, if you decide to use the OpenOptix guide for ABO prep, I'd love to hear back from you when you finish.

-Keith

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    did any body used /www.opticaltrainingonline.com/
    he sad he has 48 year of exper. he did a lot of teaching him self too

Bad address email on file donovanbaldwin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Thanks to all for the comments. I have been trying to get people at work to look at it for over a week and give me their thoughts, but only one actually picked it up and looked through it. He immediately recommended it to two others in the store studying for the ABO in Nov.

I probably know about 70% of the info in the study guide, but, never having taken the ABO exam or seen a study guide before, I didn't know if it was a lot of help or if I needed to research further.

My boss says the company I work for has a study guide, but she's not sure of how to get a copy.

Again, thanks for the input.
    Don

Occupation

Excellent resource

I have to tell you, openoptix was put together by many of the posters on here. I won't name names if they don't identify themselves, but if you look at the last page some of them are obvious. I, myself, had the best intentions to contribute to it in some form or fashion, mostly in proofing, but everytime I got started, someone would add something to it, or proof it ahead of me. All in all, an excellent resource. I fully endorse it at my lab for those who wish to take the ABO, and I use it to tutor those that need it. I've actually considered arranging paid classes starting 2 months prior, and would like to know from the authors if it's ok to use this material to instruct? I'm not aware of any copyright infringement against use or reproduction as there is with most other books.
    Wes
    Last edited by Wes; 08-12-2009 at 09:18 PM.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Hi Wes,

Yes, you are free to use the material to build a paid course around.

All OpenOptix documentation is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribuition license, which allows anyone to use, distribute, or remix the material in any manner (even commercial) with the only stipulation being that attribution is maintained for the authors and contributors as specified in the document, for the document itself or any derivative works.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

One of the main ideas behind the OpenOptix project is have as large of a positive impact as possible. By eliminating copyright, we open up the possibility for other means of distribution and are able to educate more people in the process. Another positive side effect, is the more eyes we have looking at the material, the more feedback (and hopefully participants) we get, and the better the quality of output from the project.

So, rock on!

-Keith

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wes,

I had been thinking the same thing. I'm still trying to put a course together.

As one of the many contributors to the ABO study guide, I agree with Keith. Get it out there for as many people to see and use as possible.

I would make one suggestion though. Since most of the authors are OptiBoard members, and I know that I found out about it on here, it wouldn't be a bad idea to kick a few bucks to Steve for providing this meeting area for us all. (Over and above your subscription)

Just a thought. Good luck with the course.

Bob
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Thread Information