Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Throwing Fellow Opticians Under the Bus

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    That's why you should buy a Toyota, so you won't have to see those mechanics !
    Nah, I'm an Acura man and have been for more than 10 years. Toyota is also a great quality vehicle, just way too reserved.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually last year Toyota decided they would rather be big than good. Quality went way, way down.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by loratz View Post
    One thing is missing in this thread is that absolutely no fault is put on the pt.
    I'm glad you said this. My example isn't so much customers playing head games but wanting what they want.

We have a patient that wears roughly a +7.50, only wants larger semi-rimless frames and if I recall correctly wears only CR-39. Makes us shudder every time she comes in. We try to get her into something more appropriate for her Rx but no, she wants what she wants.

I can only imagine what other optical people would say about our work if they saw her glasses

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by loratz View Post
    One thing is missing in this thread is that absolutely no fault is put on the pt.
    Soooo true, we have a pt. who develops a "problem" with her glasses every year - about when it's time to get new glasses. - not to mention her wanting an extra discount for being a long time customer. In fact she always claims that she paid extra for a scratch warranty that says she can get the lenses replaced as many times as she wants for forever.(nevermind that we explain that we have no such warranty every single time she comes in)
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Look patient's are going to missquote you every day. Even if you give them instructions in writting. Just yesterday I had a doctor call me asking if an MRI would either dammage or pull out a prosthetic eye. Dr. said that patient had told him never to take the prosthesis out.
    Actual instructions were to take it out monthy and clean/lubricate it. Do not leave the socket empty for any period of time.
    Before anyone asks, yes it could be either left in or removed for an MRI.
    It should not be taken out and left out for a hospital stay. Why not? I have seen lids and sockets shrink and contract in a few days hospital stay (hospital had a rule that all prosthetic devises be removed) to the point where either the patient could not be fitted with a prosthesis or the one they had needed to be reduced conciderably in size and slowly enlarged over a period of years to regain the socket dimensions.
    I could go on for hours over the things that doctors have told me the patient quoted me as having said and things that patients have told me that the doctor said.
    A lot of which was so rediculous that both the doctor and I know that neither of us would have ever said it.
    Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

Dear Old Grandpa....

Chip, I'm reminded of the good 'Ol days back when one of my Grandpa's favorite activities was having me help him find his "eye" in his bowl of soup! :bbg: Miss you Gramps!

Occupation

Harry said it

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I'm not gonna throw someone under the bus, but if you sell a 50/20 frame to a child with a pd of 48 and a Rx of +8.00, don't think I threw you under the bus you just happen to be standing in the street when it came cruising by.

Put out good quality work and you'll never run into that problem.
    And if your measurements and specifications are crap, I'm going to tell the PT. If the workmanship is poor, I will tell the PT. Sorry. I will equally compliment a nicely made pair of glasses. Not at all suggesting this was the case; those are just my thoughts on the matter. Yes, I will stand behind my comments to the PT if the dispenser in question wishes to speak with me.
    Wes
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DestinieNicole View Post
    You are on a completely different page then I am. I absolutely put out good quality work, and yet I run into this problem, because of lazy unskilled jerks that call themselves professionals and are so worried about their commission checks that they have to stoop to making people believe that they were "cheated" and can't possible get a decent pair glasses anywhere else in the entire world.

You see this all the time with chains who want to hire people that only sell and have no pride or skill in there workmanship. It goes right back to the bottom line, how much mo can you make for me.

Occupation

Grrr

Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    You see this all the time with chains who want to hire people that only sell and have no pride or skill in there workmanship. It goes right back to the bottom line, how much mo can you make for me.
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36389

More chain bashing? Really? "There workmanship?" Where's your pride and skill in spelling?
    Please reference my posts in the above thread. There are some people with pride and skill in THEIR work who are working in chains, no matter how much it may displease you to find out.

Wes
    Sorry if I upset you, but I'm getting a bit tired of the holier-than-thou attitude on here.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post

More chain bashing? Really? "There workmanship?" Where's your pride and skill in spelling?
    Please reference my posts in the above thread. There are some people with pride and skill in THEIR work who are working in chains, no matter how much it may displease you to find out.

Wes
    Sorry if I upset you, but I'm getting a bit tired of the holier-than-thou attitude on here.
    There are really good opticians in both chains and independent offices. I have to agree with you there.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wes

Sorry if you can't take the heat, maybe it hit a little to close to home. I have seen enough of there work to know what I m talking about and as for spelling if you didn't get it ( mo-money ).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DestinieNicole View Post
    There are really good opticians in both chains and independent offices. I have to agree with you there.

And yes your right but I have found very few in chains.

Occupation
    Sorry if you can't take the heat, maybe it hit a little to close to home. I have seen enough of there work to know what I m talking about and as for spelling if you didn't get it ( mo-money ).
    And yes your right but I have found very few in chains.
    Close to home? Really? Do you know many ABO Advanced Licensed opticians with 16 years of lab experience who dont know what they're doing?

I know what you meant by mo. You said no pride or skill in there workmanship. It should be THEIR workmanship. I even made the correction in big italicised letters.
    Also, when you say you're right, what you are doing is making a contraction. It means you are right, not your right, as in "it is your right to remain silent". Please use that right.
    I'm not looking for a pi$$ing contest here, but I thought you should know that there are some highly qualified opticians working in the places you constantly bash, and I'm tired of it being said that we're all incompetent. Can we agree to put the stereotypes away now?
    Wes
    Last edited by Wes; 07-31-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Had one more point to make.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Always remember, people that make no mistakes, tend to be crusified.

Occupation

Funny you mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Always remember, people that make no mistakes, tend to be crusified.

I have a similar quote on a social networking page. "Perfect people tend to be crucified."
    I know I'm not perfect, but I try to be as good of an optician as I can be. This is supposed to be a place to learn, exchange ideas, and socialize. I don't think it was meant as a place to bash each other.
    Hasn't anyone read The Sneetches?
    Last edited by Wes; 07-31-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: grammar...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Close to home? Really? Do you know many ABO Advanced Licensed opticians with 16 years of lab experience who dont know what they're doing?

I know what you meant by mo. You said no pride or skill in there workmanship. It should be THEIR workmanship. I even made the correction in big italicised letters.
    Also, when you say you're right, what you are doing is making a contraction. It means you are right, not your right, as in "it is your right to remain silent". Please use that right.
    I'm not looking for a pi$$ing contest here, but I thought you should know that there are some highly qualified opticians working in the places you constantly bash, and I'm tired of it being said that we're all incompetent. Can we agree to put the stereotypes away now?
    Wes

Usually people who like to flaunt there ( i thought I would throw that in ) 16 years and are ABO and all the lab work are usually the ones that have to brag i don't have tobrag I know I m good and have been for 36 years just had to throw that in.

Occupation

You're great I'm sure.

I never once suggested you weren't. Now can we stop bashing each other?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wes, there are a few here who will always equal anyone in a chain as a "McTician" with poor skills and no right to the title of optician. Those are often the same people who jump all over inexperienced opticians with newbie questions and shame them for asking. However, most folks understand that there are true professionals (and true boneheads!) to be found in all settings in this industry, and that anyone who is here obviously cares enough to strive for the best skills they can give to the patients. There are absolutely business practices that devalue the profession and result in patients getting less than competent service, and many of those have roots in the corporate world, but it's not as simple as big box = bad and private office = good.

Knowing what to do with substandard work from somewhere else is a tough thing. Denigrating a competitor is unprofessional, full stop. At the same time, unless the patient is rude or nasty, you want to warn them off the bargain basement places that rip people off. It's a tough thing. We had a patient about a month ago who didn't find a frame she liked in our store and ended up buying from a chain that's exclusive to our state and is not known in the local optical community for their quality or professionalism. Her first pair were made incorrectly, and they would not even have her back in the office to check their work and troubleshoot. According to them, since it was an outside RX (from our doc) then it was a problem with the prescription. When she called us, I told her the first thing to check is whether the glasses were made to the RX and if the measurements were correct. Since they wouldn't troubleshoot for her, I told her to bring them in and I'd do it. Turns out the PD was off in both eyes, and it was messing up the prism the doctor had prescribed. I didn't badmouth the other store, which was a bit difficult when she explained that they didn't actually measure a PD in the first place. Karma being what it is we now have a patient who told us she'll never go anywhere else again while she placed an order with us for new lenses.

I guess the moral of the story is that you don't really have to throw anybody under the bus, or worry about anybody doing it to you. Take care of people properly, do your job professionally and you'll end up with the patients when the dust settles. Service speaks for itself, both bad and good. :D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I never once suggested you weren't. Now can we stop bashing each other?
    How I wish it were that easy....:(

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Re: getting thrown under the bus.....I always say, "Be real careful crossing the road cause my brakes don't work real well!!" Gary:shiner:

Thread Information