Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your turn

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Your turn

There has been a lot of negativity lately regarding Essilor here on Optiboard. I am one of the biggest, have been for years. I would like to hear the other side, though. So, in response to a recently killed thread, I offer this question:
    Why do so many of you love Essilor? Since this is "my" thread, I ask that you post on topic only, and please don't get into why recent happenings are bad. I truly want to hear from the other side. Those of us who are "against" have had our say (mostly) and in fairness, I want to hear from the "others".
    (You'll notice I didn't say Evil Empire, pawns, regurgitate, liers, or anything else negative... let's keep this open for the other side to respond, OK?)
    It's your turn now- convince me...
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C.S. Lewis

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason. C.S. Lewis

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Sended you a PM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't "love" Essilor but I have worn and sold their product for many years. Not exclusively but as a trusted "go to" lens. What the company has become and where they seem to be going may affect things in the long run but I still like the lenses, we make darn good profits selling them and that is that (for now).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My rep did give me revised, aka better, pricing when I explained that we had switched to a cheaper brand. One thing that I like about Essilor is the consistency of the resin casting. Some of the smaller manufacturers seem to have some variation in their front curves.

In the PAL forum there is a thread asking for comments on Essilor, but no bashing. That thread has 6 replies. The thread hating on Essilor has 6 pages of replies.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Happylady
    hcjilson
    jeff trail
    pete hanlin

I would be curious to see how many of them would be comfortable enough to voice their opinions here?

I want to see the same passion for how great the company is. I want to hear how great they are to this industry and all they do. Please enlighten me.
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 07-24-2009 at 10:03 PM.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't "love" Esilor. They have very good products, and they market directly to the consumer.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Here are the folks in the last thread that felt so positively about Essilor that they took every opportunity to throw stones at any opinion expressed that wasn't positive.

Happylady
    hcjilson
    jeff trail
    pete hanlin

I would be curious to see how many of them would be comfortable enough to voice their opinions when the stones in the other hand?

I want to see the same passion for how great the company is. I want o hear how great they are to this industry and all they do. Please enlighten me.
    That's ridiculous. The individuals that you included on your post were only expressing dismay about annonymous people trashing Essilor. As they should. NO ONE was cheerleading.

This whole thing has just gotten to be ridiculous.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Bad address email on file L.A.B.'s Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We dispense Essilor products and like their product availability. We’ve been happy with the relationships we’ve developed over the years and have excellent service from our lab. Patient results are awesome, and the long term wear of the Crizal products is outstanding. I have absolutely NO headaches with any of the product that we fit. I can be confident that the results we have are because we do a great job choosing the right product for each patient but also, the product quality we receive is consistant; especially over long term wear. I know that when someone comes in for an annual exam and does not have a prescription change that their lenses will still be in excellent condition and can be worn for another year. This creates added value to the customer and keeps them coming back to us and referring their friends and family to our office. That said, I have sold many different products over the years and had good success with many other brands not associated with Essilor. The main thing I have noticed is a difference in the long term performance of Anti- reflective applications. I won’t say I will only offer Essilor products because we all need to be open and try new products but we are very happy with their products and that is why we like Essilor!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here are the folks in the last thread that felt so positively about Essilor that they took every opportunity to throw stones at any opinion expressed that wasn't positive.

Happylady
    hcjilson
    jeff trail
    pete hanlin

I would be curious to see how many of them would be comfortable enough to voice their opinions when the stones in the other hand?

I want to see the same passion for how great the company is. I want o hear how great they are to this industry and all they do. Please enlighten me.
    This should be interesting!:D

Sorry guys, I have absolutely Nothing to contribute to this thread because can't think of anything positive to say about this company...
    But I would really like to hear why, some here think, that they're the greatest thing since sliced bread.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by renee1111 View Post
    This should be interesting!:D

Sorry guys, I have absolutely Nothing to contribute to this thread because can't think of anything positive to say about this company...
    But I would really like to hear why, some here think, that they're the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I never really thought about hating or loving them but their RX Club on line lens ordereing is great !

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I haven't had a problem with Essilor. Actually just the opposite. I have a phone rep that I can call anytime and get any information, help, assistance, coupons for employees. She calls and checks in with me once a month. I work as the only optician in my office it's a pretty small practice, so I appreciate the extra help, and I haven't had a problem with their products either.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    They are my go-to in PAL's and A/R.

The Natural is a good utility PAL. The Physio (pick your variant) has performed superbly for our pat's. I will not sell any A/R unless it's Avance' with SGP.

Their reps. are very helpful and from my discussions with many Essilor emplopyees, the company treats them very well.

They provide good marketing materials, both print and electronic. Their products have helped make us $$$$.

Pithy and to the point.

Eschew Obfuscation
    Espouse Elucidation
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    Their products have helped make us $$$$.
    Can you elaborate on that point?

I agree with KStraker in that they do have very good quality lens blanks- very consistent products. I also agree that the products "work" and therefore are good fall-back or go-to lenses if you so choose. I'm looking more for why some people think their products are better than others. As a lab, we were told by contract to say they were better, a very curious thing to me. Why would a dispenser feel this way? The question of HELPING you make $$ is curious to me. (I have spent many moons in the wholesale side, many more in retail, and I honestly have not experienced them helping me make $$.)
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C.S. Lewis

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason. C.S. Lewis

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis View Post
    That's ridiculous. The individuals that you included on your post were only expressing dismay about annonymous people trashing Essilor. As they should. NO ONE was cheerleading.

This whole thing has just gotten to be ridiculous.
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31192

Post #27

I tried to say it nicely once, but make my name taste like dodo in your mouth. Still nto a member yet I see, my offer still stand any post one full day of erasing anything of mine for each month your a member.

-If you can't stand for something you must be spineless. (some instigator)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31192

Post #27

I tried to say it nicely once, but make my name taste like dodo in your mouth.

HUH? Care to elaborate?
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hipoptical View Post
    ...The question of HELPING you make $$ is curious to me. ...
    Here's how.
    Varilux lenses are more expensive from the lab. I mark up product by multiplying the cost from the lab by a factor. So I make more profit from more expensive products. If a patient comes in and requests Varilux, I sell them Varilux, and I make more profit than if they came in and requested an Image or an XL.
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PLEASE! Let's stay on point for once!!!!!!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    By having a quality product, scratch re-makes have been reduced and non-adapts. Helps keep $$$ in the bank.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    They're like tony the freakin tiger they'rrrrrreeee grrrrrrreat. :angry:

Occupation
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 07-24-2009 at 04:59 PM.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    I like Essilor, because when they bought out my father's lab, they gave the lab the capital to help my father out when he was going through a tough time. They allowed him to get on his feet and keep in operation. They then gave us tools and resources we could use to improve our practice. NO other lab or lens company was doing that. Actually, I found most were rather lazy and just felt that if they had the lenses, you would buy them.

I also like Essilor, because the Crizal coating was the first one that I was not encountering problems with.

Then when we got into edging, Essilor put us through the stock and rx club that gave us lenses as a fraction of the price to what the other labs were offering for uncuts.

It also appears that the company is more willing to move forward with things and help us. For instance, it did not come out with the first Oliphobic coating, but it came out with the first stable one and provided a flawless edging technique to go with it. It did not come out with the first tinted backside lens, but it provided materials and resources to help us promote and display it.

In some ways, I feel that many of the competitors of Essilor are similar to the Big 3 Automakers or many local businesses. They argue that you should buy from them because they are local or because they are American or local, but give you few other reasons. In this case, I find most lens companies and labs give you the reason to buy from them as being that they are not Essilor. Well telling me that you are not Essilor is not a good enough reason for me to buy from you. Bad mouthing Essilor is not a good enough reason for me to buy from you. Out perform Essilor in price, services, and products.

Now I know there are some good competitors out there, but this is generalizing my experience.

Last thing I want to say is we have to keep in mind that several posters, vocal ones, on this site are in competition with Essilor. I am sorry, but if I have an independent lab, I probably would not jump to the defense of my competitor either.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    I like them because they support theft of services:

http://www.framesdirect.com/common/popup_pd.asp
    You are a better poster than what you are coming off as right now. hipoptical specifically asked for these type of posts not to be in this thread. You can do better.

I am not happy with this recent online thing and I am not happy with Essilor about it. But hipoptical clearly said that this is not the thread to do the complaining in.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Essilor has achieved much for the industry.

They've pioneered progressive lens technology, and they have wonderful direct-to-consumer marketing.

Personally I have served thousands of presbyopes with their designs, beginning with Varilux Comfort when I opened my practice in 1996, and continue to do so today with much patient satisfaction.

My longstanding partner lab, Optical One in Youngstown OH, recently became an Essilor partner lab, and we continue our mutually rewarding relationship of delivering quality eye care.

My relationship with Essilor to date has been a good one and I'm motivated for it to continue.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    You are a better poster than what you are coming off as right now. hipoptical specifically asked for these type of posts not to be in this thread. You can do better.

I am not happy with this recent online thing and I am not happy with Essilor about it. But hipoptical clearly said that this is not the thread to do the complaining in.
    Fair enough, deleted the post.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Kiener OD View Post
    Essilor has achieved much for the industry.

They've pioneered progressive lens technology, and they have wonderful direct-to-consumer marketing.

Personally I have served thousands of presbyopes with their designs, beginning with Varilux Comfort when I opened my practice in 1996, and continue to do so today with much patient satisfaction.

My longstanding partner lab, Optical One in Youngstown OH, recently became an Essilor partner lab, and we continue our mutually rewarding relationship of delivering quality eye care.

My relationship with Essilor to date has been a good one and I'm motivated for it to continue.
    Drjk,

Do you feel the same way about Other BigBoy Opticals like Zeiss and Hoya?

Thread Information