Thread: Why You Should Consider Buying Prescription Eyeglasses Online

watevah

Why You Should Consider Buying Prescription Eyeglasses Online

Today I visited one of the tech blogs I normally read and came across this:

http://www.geardiary.com/2009/07/22/...lasses-online/

Needless to say, I disagree with online eyeglass shopping. I think that great face-to-face customer service will always trump cheap online prices when it comes to buying glasses.

However, that brick and mortar store where the author got her glasses from didn't give her good service IMO. They just handed her the glasses without checking the fit. I cringe when I see opticians do this, and I'm seeing more and more of this type of poor service in many optical stores--mostly in the big chain opticals, but even in a few independent high end stores around my area as well.

With this erosion in customer service, it's no wonder increasing numbers of people are buying their eyewear online.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    at the end of the day, remember, glasses are not a dvd player. People want to feel, see, touch them. Why do you think clothing sales have not done as well online as dvds? Online sunglasses have been around for years, but why has that not taken off?

Yes, these guys will take a sale from each of our stores and will make money. Yes. But at the same time, what is taken from EACH of us is minimal.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Online sunglasses have been around for years, but why has that not taken off?

Yes, these guys will take a sale from each of our stores and will make money. Yes. But at the same time, what is taken from EACH of us is minimal.
    Essilor's out to change all that. Hopefully, if we "partner" with them, we can get a fitting fee like we do with safety's:bbg:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper S o do your mathematics..............................

What is taken from you and all the the other retailers in Canada is up to 3000 pairs a day. The USA counts usually 10 times the vlume of Canadas turnover. So do your mathematics.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had a former patient call just yesterday asking about the Liberty Torque frame for bikers. He had specific insurance so I was able to give him a quote over the phone. Then he called back and asked for his Rx to be faxed to him. Ok, fine. Then he called back and asked for his "pupil distance" as well as "which is my right eye and which is my left eye". Ahhhhh, thinks I. So I told him. "You have never purchased glasses here, you have only had an eye exam. I don't have that measurement until I sit across from you and determine it. Besides the optician who who writes up your order will be able to do that for you". I don't give it out anyway. Sheesh, the nerve. Maybe he cut out the little paper ruler and used it in the bathroom mirror.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Had a former patient call just yesterday asking about the Liberty Torque frame for bikers. He had specific insurance so I was able to give him a quote over the phone. Then he called back and asked for his Rx to be faxed to him. Ok, fine. Then he called back and asked for his "pupil distance" as well as "which is my right eye and which is my left eye". Ahhhhh, thinks I. So I told him. "You have never purchased glasses here, you have only had an eye exam. I don't have that measurement until I sit across from you and determine it. Besides the optician who who writes up your order will be able to do that for you". I don't give it out anyway. Sheesh, the nerve. Maybe he cut out the little paper ruler and used it in the bathroom mirror.

I cut Liberty out last year after twice having regular customers coming in wanting that exact frame, and I had one in stock. Each time they exclaimed how much I wanted for the frame and WM had it for half what I wanted. I showed one the invoice for it that showed that I paid exactly $0.95 less than what WM was selling it for. My phone Liberty rep stammered and balked when I asked her about this and the best she could come up with was "We don't include the warranty when we sell to WM."
    Dropped 'em like a hot rock. Anyone want any Rec Specs cheap?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    What is taken from you and all the the other retailers in Canada is up to 3000 pairs a day. The USA counts usually 10 times the vlume of Canadas turnover. So do your mathematics.
    yes, do the math. How many optical stores are there in Canada and how many pairs a day are sold? I bet you that there are 10,000 optical stores in Ontario (over 400 municipalities with each having 1-100 stores). Let's say the average sale per store per day is 3. So that is 30,000 sales per day. So duplicate that for the rest of Canada, so let's assume that it is 200,000 optical sales a day. that means that the 3,000 pairs is 1.5% a day.

So 3,000 pairs a day seems big, when you take it from across the WHOLE nation. But when those are all split up, it has minimal effect on each individual store. Chris, I would lose more sales if a competitor opened a brick and mortar store in town than to any online business.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Essilor's out to change all that. Hopefully, if we "partner" with them, we can get a fitting fee like we do with safety's:bbg:
    Which is stupid of the company, because the majority of people will not buy glasses without trying them on and feeling them.

Come on people, you are all opticians. Think back on your experience.

I present to you a case. A little lady comes into your store and is looking for glasses. You find a pair she likes but do not have the colour she wants. After some research, you find the catalogue that says the other colour is available. You show here the picture. What always, always, always happens next? Does she say fine and order the glasses? No. She says she wants to see them first and asks if she has to make a decision before doing so.

She has just proven the glasses internet myth. She wants to see them first. You guys know this, because you have all seen it a thousand times.

How many of you have bought the following online:
    - Shoes
    - Suit
    - Dress

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Glasses/Schmasses...

"Glasses" are uncool.

People do not "want* glasses

Glasses are *not* fashionable (no mater what you think!)

If glasses go down substainally in price, whether on the internet or in your store, people will not buy more glasses (just like we found out with CLs).

As Bugs Bunny said: "What a maroon!"

Barry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How many of you have bought the following online:
    - Shoes
    - Suit
    - Dress
    Only after trying them on in my local store first.;)

Actually, even though I don't, my wife buys that way almost EXCLUSIVELY! She has no choice. And in a few years she may not have any other choice in eyewear.

The internet retailers and WM have bankrupted every locally-owned shoe store, women's clothier, men's store, computer store, bike shop . . . .

If the AOA and Essilor give credibility to online ordering, we are next.

Actually, what they need us for is for the lady you talked about who wants to try on the frame first. She sees it online, is referred to us so that we can order it (from FramesDirect) and let her try it (at no cost of course). Of couse they need us to make the internet dispensing legal and accurate. In case many of you have forgotten, it's not legal to dispense eyewear without a license in 20 something states.

Mark my words. Our job according to Essilors/FramesDirect's plan is to get paid $20 to help pick out the frames, take the measurements, explain the options, recieve the frames, fit the frames and take care of any complaints. What else makes sense - for them?

Essilor already has this business model in place - think ELOA safety program.

Piece of cake for them.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Mark my words. Our job according to Essilors/FramesDirect's plan is to get paid $20 to help pick out the frames, take the measurements, explain the options, recieve the frames, fit the frames and take care of any complaints.
    Yep. They provide the parts, we provide the labor, if it's even requested.

The difference between online Land's End cotton-twill trousers and eye glasses should be apparent.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by watevah View Post
    Today I visited one of the tech blogs I normally read and came across this:

http://www.geardiary.com/2009/07/22/...lasses-online/

Needless to say, I disagree with online eyeglass shopping. I think that great face-to-face customer service will always trump cheap online prices when it comes to buying glasses.

However, that brick and mortar store where the author got her glasses from didn't give her good service IMO. They just handed her the glasses without checking the fit. I cringe when I see opticians do this, and I'm seeing more and more of this type of poor service in many optical stores--mostly in the big chain opticals, but even in a few independent high end stores around my area as well.

With this erosion in customer service, it's no wonder increasing numbers of people are buying their eyewear online.
    Just make sure your customer service doesn't "erode," and I think you will be fine.

We made our business by providing free adjustments and low cost repairs for anyone who comes to our store. We fix everyone's junk from around town. Then, those people tend to purchase from our store (and pay good prices).

So, "service first" needs to be more than a slogan, it needs to be part of your customer experience.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Attn: John Q.: If you believe in on-line eyewear

and that its the latest and greatest..

I've got somethin' else for ya:

Tulips

Dot.com businesses

Credit default swaps

Bernie Madoff - Financial Adviser

Need I go on?

Just 'cause *you* think it's great, don't make it great...

As history has shown us.

Barry

Occupation
    Only after trying them on in my local store first.;)

Actually, even though I don't, my wife buys that way almost EXCLUSIVELY! She has no choice. And in a few years she may not have any other choice in eyewear.

The internet retailers and WM have bankrupted every locally-owned shoe store, women's clothier, men's store, computer store, bike shop . . . .

Actually, what they need us for is for the lady you talked about who wants to try on the frame first. She sees it online, is referred to us so that we can order it (from FramesDirect) and let her try it (at no cost of course). Of couse they need us to make the internet dispensing legal and accurate. In case many of you have forgotten, it's not legal to dispense eyewear without a license in 20 something states.

Mark my words. Our job according to Essilors/FramesDirect's plan is to get paid $20 to help pick out the frames, take the measurements, explain the options, recieve the frames, fit the frames and take care of any complaints. What else makes sense - for them?

Essilor already has this business model in place - think ELOA safety program.

Piece of cake for them.
    that is the thing. There IS a market for it. But let's not over-exaggerate the size of the market and its impact on brick and mortar stores. The Internet has been rapidly used for over 10 years now. Yet, there are many products that have very low levels sales on it (Sunglasses is one). Some products have taken off on the internet. You have to understand the buying behaviour of people, and those behaviours tell us that individual brick and mortar stores will not lose much out to the online environment; No matter who gets behind it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Based on the comments of satisfaction I've seen posted about online eyewear purchases:

1. John Q is happy, which means
    2. "We're" not doin such a fantastic job, despite what we think
    3. It's gonna get hot around here.
    4. It's almost too late for the ECPs who haven't *always* tried to put their best foot forward at all times.

Viva la local customer...they are your patron saint!

Barry

Thread Information