Thread: prescribed prism with slab-off

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Confused prescribed prism with slab-off

We have a patient whos' doctor has prescribed combined prism in both eyes with a slab-off. Patient is currently wearing a progressive hi index lens.
    Rx: od: +.75-.50x145 4bd 4bo
    +2.75 add ou

Will a slab-off change prism in a progressive(in lft eye)????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No.....it will not affect the bi-centric grind in any way.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Patient has struggled with double vision for years. She went to University of Wisconsin where the Doctors were very specific in prescribing her prism. With a slab-off being base down prism, and the doctors asking for prism Up in that eye, will we be safe using the slab-off? The patient has tried a line but refuses to have a line showing, eventhough it is the best way to go .

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by mwh1058920 View Post
    Patient has struggled with double vision for years. She went to University of Wisconsin where the Doctors were very specific in prescribing her prism. With a slab-off being base down prism, and the doctors asking for prism Up in that eye, will we be safe using the slab-off? The patient has tried a line but refuses to have a line showing, eventhough it is the best way to go .

That left eye's gonna be awefull thick on the 270, you may want to find a frame that the progressive can fit as high as possible in, something with maybe a 10mm top of the frame to the fitting. The slab off is going to be base down prism the removal of base down prism I should say so it will add to the existing base up rpism, which si why I suggest a frame with a smaller frame top to DRP. To answer your question no it will not effect the prism imbalance in the top, that will remain the same, the imabalnce in the bottom will be corrected so that it is similar to the prescribed imabalance, using a slab off.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    That left eye's gonna be awefull thick on the 270, you may want to find a frame that the progressive can fit as high as possible in, something with maybe a 10mm top of the frame to the fitting. The slab off is going to be base down prism the removal of base down prism I should say so it will add to the existing base up rpism, which si why I suggest a frame with a smaller frame top to DRP. To answer your question no it will not effect the prism imbalance in the top, that will remain the same, the imabalnce in the bottom will be corrected so that it is similar to the prescribed imabalance, using a slab off.
    I like to draw the lens cross and place the powers accordingly and then move the cross in the direction of the prescribed prism. WOW, then you can get the visualization of how they will look. Then add the slaboff. Graphics help to see what is happening what you will need to do in frame selection.

Slabbing off the OS will help with the edge thickness, and in using a PAL, Prism thinning will affect it.

Harry, take my picture and work on it to make it perfect. In the picture, the oval represents an eyewire shape, while the circles around the crosses represent the actual lens. I tried to make them look thinner and thinner where applicable. It would take a long time, and/or I don't have the graphic tools.

Diane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Prism and slaboff in Rx.jpg  
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Got nothing to do with the above job

Anyone notice how the above drawings appear to be 3-D and the black elipses seem to be circular drawing facing out. Differeing amount of face out effect in each.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Anyone notice how the above drawings appear to be 3-D and the black elipses seem to be circular drawing facing out. Differeing amount of face out effect in each.

Chip
    What are you talking about Chip?

Diane

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I asked Harry...

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post

Chip
    but if you think you could fix them, please feel free. Graphics work...

Diane

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't think they are broken or bad or anything. Just observed 3-D effect in the drawings. They are great, just interesting. It was more or less a compliment.

Chip

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3538

In this case the right eye will turn up and in, the left will turn down and in.

I would consider SV readers or a slabbed (slab-off/bicentric) segmented, especially if there are frequent close tasks. You could probably skip the slab on the PAL if you use separates. Trial frame this if you can. Hopefully the deviation is comitant (the same in all directions of gaze).
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Here's a Chip approved example; I hope. :D The black crosses represent the mechanical centers and the red and blue crosses represent the optical cross aligned with the correct meridians you'll also notice that I placed th optical centers where the prism would place them aproximately anyway. This shoudl give you and indication of how the thickness will play into a prescription such as this. While it's nice to see a visual don't expect Diane to make one for you everytime, or chip to complain about it's loo, or me to make another. ;)

*I hope no opticians were harmed in the making of this post, all names are made up to protect the innocent or at least the not so guilty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails example.png  
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 07-22-2009 at 04:31 PM.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's a Chip approved example; I hope. :D The black crosses represent the mechanical centers and the red and blue crosses represent the optical cross aligned with the correct meridians you'll also notice that I placed th optical centers where the prism would place them aproximately anyway. This shoudl give you and indication of how the thickness will play into a prescription such as this. While it's nice to see a visual don't expect Diane to make one for you everytime, or chip to complain about it's loo, or me to make another. ;)

*I hope no opticians were harmed in the making of this post, all names are made up to protect the innocent or at least the not so guilty.
    LOL:)

Diane

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I agree with Harry and William, and Harry is right the left will be very thick.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Multiple pairs of S.V. glasses. And sell her a purse to carry them in!

Thread Information