Thread: but they're not even on the table...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

but they're not even on the table...

I know we've all had the patients that do this after we painstakingly adjust their frame they throw them on the table and say "see, the legs aren't even on the table"...I get it all the time and its easy and logical to explain, usually. I just had a patient that said her nose pads were sitting different when she takes off her glasses. I explained and showed her why and she insisted I make them even with eachother, then guess what, the frame is crooked and she's looking through her intermediate zone out of her left eye. She was getting increasingly frustrated with me...is it my fault you've got a lopsided beak?!? WTF!! Wow, sometimes I think I want to change professions into accounting or something where I can hide in an office all day and not deal with real people AT ALL. Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones, or maybe I'm just not cut out for the public....but at any rate I feel like if one more cantankerous senior citizen sits down in front of me with so much as a frown I'm gonna pull my hair out and storm out of the office!! AAAAAAAHHHHHH! :hammer:

Thanks for letting me vent.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is something that used to drive me crazy, and then i figured out something that almost always works. I explain how nobody is completely symetrical and then tell the patient how I have one ear thats higher up and further back than the other one. And how the first thing I have to do on new glasses when I get them is to twist them up so that they look goofy on the table and fine when on my face. For some reason they always believe me - even though my face is decidedly not lopsided. Works almost every time. :) (except for my one patient who just gives me a look and says "but I used to be an optician so shush and do it the way I tell you")
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You just don't have the right tools.

Hammer
    Chisel
    Crane
    Cannon
    Laser scope
    Travelocity.com account

Step A: The hammer is to bang some sense into the client after you've chiseled through the thick putty surrounding their brain.

Step B: The crane is to lift them out of the seat in front of you and into the cannon should step A not work.

Step C: Cannon use should be obvious. The laser scope is so you can aim them precisely toward the nearest competitor.

The Travelocity account is for the vacation you need.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jus' axe dem if they want them to fit a table or thier head?

I often align the temples on the table, tell the patient: "Now they fit a table, lets see if they fit your head."

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

Thats a good one Chip, I think if you tell them to hold still and slog them on the other side of the nose then say there, your nose is now striaght and the nose pads are even, ARE YA HAPPY NOW??:hammer::hammer:

Thread Information