Thread: The best Star-Spangled Banner...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

The best Star-Spangled Banner...

Okay, I don't mean to be un-patriotic or anything. However, since 9-11 I have heard more awful renderings of our national anthem than I cared to hear in a lifetime!

That said, last night's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner (before the Rose Bowl massacre between Miami and Nebraska) was simply the best I have ever heard! I don't even know who the lady is who sung it, but it was simply magnificent! The red rockets during the song, the flyover, and the subsequent fireworks just added to it (and usually I'm a just-sing-the-song the way Mr. Key wrote it kinda guy).

I only wish the actual football game would have been as awesome as the pre-game performance!

So, it got me to wondering... what is the best performance of our anthem you've ever heard (and did anyone catch the name of that lady from last night)? If you aren't from the USA (its been brought to my attention that civilized people do actually live in places other than the Northeastern United States ;) ), what is your favorite performance of O Canada, God Save the Queen, or whatever else your nation does before a baseball (or whatever sport is played in your country) game?

A visitor from Germany that I attended a football game with was amazed that we sing our anthem before every sporting event, so maybe we are the sole country in the world that hears our anthem at times other than Olympic award ceremonies?
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have 2 favorites, Pete. Marvin Gaye recorded one version that WPFW Pacifica Radio broadcasts here every morning at about 6 AM. My real favorite is the version that my son will be singing before the basketball games at Lake Braddock Secondary School on the 11th and the 22nd, though I'm not sure if I should be standing while he's rehearsing....

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Re: The best Star-Spangled Banner...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pete Hanlin
    [B]Okay, I don't mean to be un-patriotic or anything. However,

Sorry Yaar, (Dear in Hindi)
    I have never heard US National song.
    We , in India, are probably too Ritualistic regarding National song.. Jan Gan Man.. I remeber they used to run it after "THE END " of every movie in every thearte in our country till mid 70's!
    The protocol says everybody must be Standing Still and chanting it with deepest of sincereity.. for those 52 Seconds. ( wonder how to measure it?)
    But for gods' sake some how that stopped because, it was immpossible to throw away Cigarrets , and stop every other thing people do while watching a movie. !! But taht was like that fo almost 30 Years.
    Just a day ago, an agony overflowing letter painfully Objected to the Audiance of a Latest Bollywood hit ( Our Hollywood) Movie, "Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gum" (Some times Happiness some times sorrow) who did not rise when the Jan Gan Man ..started as a Situation in the Movie.
    I feel US is too Liberal when I see they run wearing flags instead of underwears, when they paint the scheme of the Flag on thier faces.and all over the body.That could take one behind bars if done here in India to Indian flag.
    Bye the way, we sing "Jan Gan Man "before adjournment of our Rotary Club's Meeting (preceeded by dinner )every Thursday.
    This song was written in the praise of King 5th George of The British Empire. But was modified after Independence 15th Aug, 1947 and gathered some contravorcy for a while.

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The best rendition of our National anthem, Amhrán na bhFiann, I have ever heard was at the All Ireland hurling final of 1997. I dont know who was singing it but He was accompanied by the Artane boys band. I was there in the terrece of the canal end. My home county Clare was playing Tipperary. Bitter rivals. I thought it was amazing how two sides divided by sport were united through song. Everyone of the 70,000+ people in the stadium belted out the anthem at the top of the voices, Every time I hear this a strange feeling wells up inside me, a feeling of pride:

Sinne Fianna Fáil
    Atá faoi gheall ag Éirinn
    Buíon dár Slua,
    Thar toinn a tháinig chugainn,
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor
    Seantír ár sinsear feasta
    Ní fhágfar faoin tíorán ná faoin tráil,
    Anocht a théam sa bhearna baoil
    Le gean ar Ghaeil chun báis no saoil,
    Le guanna-scréach faoin lámhachh na bpiléar
    Seo libh canaig Amhránn na bhFiann

The fields of Athenry is also a favourite of mine and is regarded as an unofficial National anthem which is almost certain to be heard during a game. The song is also popular in some parts of Scotland where the leading soccer team there, Celtic has adopted it as club anthem
    Last edited by ioconnell; 01-04-2002 at 03:06 PM.

Bad address email on file LVopticgal's Avatar

GREAT VOICE

PETE,

YOLANDA ADAMS IS THE SPECTACULAR SINGER YOU ARE
    REFERING TO. SHE IS ONE OF THE BEST GOSPEL SINGERS
    EVER. I ALSO SAW THE GAME AND AGREE. AWFUL WASTE WASN'T IT? MS. ADAMS PERFORMANCE WAS DEFINATELY THE HIGHLIGHT FOR ME. DRAMATIC IS DEFINATELY AN UNDERSTATEMENT. GOOSEBUMPS PREVAILED! WHITNEY HOUSTON'S RENDITION IS AVAILABLE ON CD AND IS PROBABLY MY FAVORITE. I BELIEVE SHE PERFORMED IT FOR A SUPERBOWL.
    DEFINATELY WORTH A LISTEN.

LVOpticgal
    Last edited by LVopticgal; 01-04-2002 at 04:33 PM.

Bad address email on file LVopticgal's Avatar

For those who've never heard it....

But also for those of us who live it.

Please enjoy!

God Bless America.

LVOpticgal

*** NOTE : TRIED TO ATTACH WHITNEY'S VERSION BUT IT'S IN MP3 VERSION. WILL CONVERT AND RE-POST.

SORRY :(
    Last edited by LVopticgal; 01-04-2002 at 04:37 PM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete & Judy:

Too bad you are too young to have heard Kate Smith, she owned the song.

Chip

Sorry my bad, it was God Bless America that she did so well.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Yolanda Adams? Well, all I can say is that she managed to make a song we've heard a trillion times shine anew- and that takes a lot!

ioconnell,
    I don't suppose you'd care to translate your anthem? ;)

Sandeep,
    At the risk of appearing like a crank, let me wholeheartedly agree that some of the things done with our flag (in the name of enthusiasm or whatever) are truly pathetic. In the past few months, I've seen flags draped across the hoods of pickup trucks, used as blankets at football games, and hung in all kinds of inappropriate manners!

I don't mean to be hyper-critical, but there are certain protocols for handling the flag to ensure it is displayed in a dignified manner. Sitting on the flag is improper, having it flapping off the hood of your truck is not only tacky, its just wrong! Finally, if you are patriotic enough to display a flag in your yard, please replace it when it becomes tattered, and don't leave it out at night without illumination. AND, when all this patriotic fervor has died down, please dispose of your ill-used flags in the correct manner (your local Legion Post will be happy to take care of that for you) and don't just "throw it away."

Oh well... what do you expect from a former Boy Scout?

On the other hand, the right to display the flag however one wishes is sort of in keeping with the spirit behind the symbol! Ideally, one of the great things about this country is that no one is supposed to tell you how to live your life! If that extends to how you choose to display the flag, so be it- I suppose.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Originally posted by Pete Hanlin
    I've seen flags draped across the hoods of pickup trucks, used as blankets at football games, and hung in all kinds of inappropriate manners!
    The thing that disgusted me the most was the way the U.S. athletes treated the flag after winning the 400m Relay in the Sydney Olympics. What a poor display of sportsmanship that was, as well as a cynical attempt to use the flag to boost their commercial prospects! :angry: :o :angry:

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    Originally posted by Pete Hanlin

ioconnell,
    I don't suppose you'd care to translate your anthem? ;)
    Rightio,

Soldiers are we,
    Whose lives are pledged to Ireland
    Some have come
    From a land beyong the wave.
    Sworn to be free,
    No more our ancient sireland
    Shall shelter the despot or the slave.
    Tonight we man the bearna baoil
    In Erin's cause, come woe or weal;
    Mid cannons roar and rifles plea
    We'll chant a soldiers song

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete:

The other side of the coin is the way George Forman displayed the flag after his victory in the olympics when all others were displaying the "Black Power Fist."

I'll buy his grills, donate money to his causes and put up with anything he does.

Chip

Occupation

National Anthem, etc

Wow, I've heard so many good ones. I think my favorite relatively recent one was Faith Hill at the Super Bowl. Least favorite, that horribly disrespectful debacle Rosanne Barr apparently thought was humor.

On the subject of flag misuse. Hubby and I. former girl scout, Eagle Scout, military family, are very traditional about respect to the flag. But I'll take even misguided patriotism over the flag burning days of the 60's and early 70's!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As much as I hate to say this, being a long time member of the University of Maryland Chorus...which did a great rendition of the Star Spangled Banner at Brooks Robinson Day at Memorial Stadium.....the best I have heard is by far a recording of the National Anthem by the US Naval Academy Glee Club.

Best version of God Bless America.......no doubt about it...Kate Smith-Stanley Cup Final at the Spectrum- April, 1974.

Best version of "A Soldier's Song"........Matt Kane's on Rhode Island Avenue in DC...St. Patrick's Day, 1979.

Best Version of "O,Canada".....Roger Ducet...usually before a game between the Habs and the Leafs....in French,of course!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

O Canada

A couple of years ago, one of the players on Florida State's baseball team was a Canadian. There is a section behind home plate called the "Animals" (they are rabid FSU fans who organize heckling, chants, and other fanatic antics), and each home game they would break into a rowdy and loud version of "O Canada" when this player would come up to bat for the second time (usually around the fifth inning).

More than one visiting team would simply stop what they were doing and stare in amazement when the Canadian national anthem was sung in the middle of a ballgame in Florida!

Standing on Guard for Thee,
    Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Thread Information