Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frame Theft in Your Stores

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Angry Frame Theft in Your Stores

So today I had 2 groups of the usual suspects come into my store in groups of 4+. We had 3 staff members including myself keeping an eye on them.
    Thought they didn't steal anything only to find later that we were missing 3 suns from one of the boards. Apparently they moved the frames around and filled holes left by the suns they took so we weren't quick to notice.
    Needless to say, I'm angry.

I'm so tired of these people! I've caught on to a few of their methods of distracting the staff while they five-finger discount our merch.. but this one seems kinda strange.. About 6 people were involved but when the other 5 left the last one came up and bought just a frame, no lenses. We're seeing a trend lately in this.... can anyone tell me why they would actually pay for 1 frame?
    Please feel free to share any crazy theft stories your might have or any ways we can keep from losing our butts in the future.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    all kind of method these people using, and we never know what they will do in the practise. anyhow i will strongly suggest you to fix a CCTV set in your practise to control these. just be careful..
    Yeap

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We have actually ran "groups" out of our store before they had a chance to enter. Their main tactic is to have one schedule a fake appt. and one will be asking question of someone in the dispensary then the one or two more are cleaning you out. We had a 10 plus frame heist at one time.

About buying the one frame, I don't know if your receipt has the actual frame manufacturer, model and colour listed, but if it is a non descript receipt they can take that scan it into a computer manipulate it to produce false receipts for the stolen merchandise. That way if they DO get in trouble with the law they can produce "proof" that the frames were so called legit.

Florida law is pretty criminal friendly, one has to actually see the merchandise taken and see that person leave the store. Meaning you better have a cop there before they get to their getaway car or they are off the hook and there goes your merchandise. We have been able to get the tags on some of the getaway vehicles, they always turn-up to be rentals.

I feel for ya.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The BEST trade rag, Eye Care Professional Magazine, just ran an article by one of our very own resident experts about this very subject!

Check it out here:

http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2...e-security.asp

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    The BEST trade rag, Eye Care Professional Magazine, just ran an article by one of our very own resident experts about this very subject!

Check it out here:

They also ran an article about this subject a year or so ago;

http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2...urity-tips.asp

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If things get really our of hand:

1.) Join the NRA and learn how to protect yourself
    http://membership.nrahq.org/
    2.) Join the United States Concealed Carry Assoc.
    http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/
    3.) Read everything by this Dude; Massad Ayoob.
    http://www.ayoob.com/
    *Start with: In the Gravest Extreme and then polish off The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry, both by Ayoob.

Get proactive in your dispensary's security.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    We have actually ran "groups" out of our store before they had a chance to enter. Their main tactic is to have one schedule a fake appt. and one will be asking question of someone in the dispensary then the one or two more are cleaning you out. We had a 10 plus frame heist at one time.

About buying the one frame, I don't know if your receipt has the actual frame manufacturer, model and colour listed, but if it is a non descript receipt they can take that scan it into a computer manipulate it to produce false receipts for the stolen merchandise. That way if they DO get in trouble with the law they can produce "proof" that the frames were so called legit.

Florida law is pretty criminal friendly, one has to actually see the merchandise taken and see that person leave the store. Meaning you better have a cop there before they get to their getaway car or they are off the hook and there goes your merchandise. We have been able to get the tags on some of the getaway vehicles, they always turn-up to be rentals.

I feel for ya.
    My former location was an ultra high end (Cartier, Chrome Hearts, Gold & Wood, Robert Marc, Retrospecs etc) store, and security was always an issue. The solution there was to dispense with frame boards, and use drawers. If you are consistent with filling the holes as the day moves on, it is *VERY* obvious when a piece is missing, and EXACTLY which piece it is. Most times when confronted with the knowledge of what frame(s) are missing without even seeing it will bring an embarrassing admission and a quick exit.

The NEW trend in the area seems to be to disregard the polite manner altogether and throw something (last night's break in at a friends' practice was a SHOPPING CART for god sakes) through the window, let the alarm go off (gone in 90 seconds, long before any police arrive) grab the most expensive merchandise they can find, and make off with 20 to 50 pieces. What are you supposed to do about that? They just sit there with hoods up and flip off the cameras!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have had the "groups" come in and look around more than once this year. We believe we have a fool-proof method against theft because we have seen them simply leave quietly without taking a thing. Our ffol-proof method is this: We don't carry the stuff they are looking for. Even our "high-end" line which sells quite well here is not to their liking and under lock and key. Quite simple really and done with forethought.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    We have been able to get the tags on some of the getaway vehicles, they always turn-up to be rentals.

Rentals are easier to trace than non. You've got a specific time frame, a driver's license, and the signature. If it's an airport rental, you've got a good video capture as well.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work in a little hole-in-the-wall shop inside a hospital as part of the Dept. of Opthamology. We're forever chasing people out of our dispensary (its only big enough for 2 opticians with 1 patient apiece.) We find that the only way we can keep theft down is to A) make sure that every space is filled, and B) sit the patient down and get an idea of what they are looking for and then start bringing the glasses to them a couple at a time. That keeps the frames under our control and makes the patients feel all important inside. :)

And this worked great...untill some dummy decided to go for a walk down the hospital hallway - and started pulling boxes of glasses out of our copier/backstock room. Security caught him with something like 60-70 frames on him. Granted they were the cheapest frames we carry (the only kind medicaid will pay for) but...still...wow. Thank the gods for the honest patients sitting in our waiting area who tipped us off. Now we have to harass our Doctors into making sure they leave the copier room door locked when they leave.

Sometimes dealing with our space issues sucks - but at least we get to see such interesting prescriptions all the time :)
    Last edited by opticianbart; 07-15-2009 at 12:17 PM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Always capitalize GOD! Especially if you are thanking Him for something.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 07-15-2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Especially

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Check it out here:

They also ran an article about this subject a year or so ago;

http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2...urity-tips.asp

Who would have thought that authors of optical articles could look soooo good?
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Put a sign on the entrance that says no more than 2 or 3 people from a group allowed inside at a time.I have seen this sign on convenience stores near schools due to out of control shop lifting.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    Thank the gods for the honest patients sitting in our waiting area who tipped us off.
    now fixed to be gramatically correct when not capilalizing the word god.

Last edited by opticianbart; 07-15-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The most insidious plot is the "Taiwan Exchange Program"

In this situation, they don't just steal/shoplift sunglasses.

They "exchange" their cheap, taiwan sunglass knock-offs for my original and authentic branded product.

This way, I don't see the "hole" on my display until it's too late.

Damn thieves!

Barry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are a high end optical (average frame $800 up) and we have CCTV everwhere with audio the works...but you will find out that the people that want to steal from you DO NOT CARE that you have cameras and are recording them..the best deterent is if you think they might steal from you (you start to get a gut feeling) is to be watching them from all angles..we have a monitor in our lab with the screen split into 1/4's and watch everyone that comes in....believe me we know how angry you are...Good Luck Gary:angry:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just posted up in the Canadian section but 2 opticals in Toronto, Canada was held at gunpoint. 700 pieces cleared out including cases.

But in any case, I saw a younger guy come into the store, seemed shady looking for sunglasses. It is behind a counter so he couldnt touch any. He ended up walking out and I could see that under his tshirt he had some sort of pouch. Seemed wierd, so I asked my wife who used to work in retail, she told me that most thieves steal by putting things in the back not in the front of their tshirts or pants (like we generally think). But keep an eye out for these petty thieves.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I once caught a guy slipping a frame up his shirt sleeve, and a gal dropping a frame down her top!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have read that someone walked into a store with only 1 female optician. The guy was dressed in a suit, walked in, put it in his newpaper, rolled it up and walked out. She followed him out the door and he just ignored her and kept on walking.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    City: That's why Sam Colt invented the revolver.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    He was thanking "the gods" My catholic nun grammar teacher taught me to capitalize only when referring to the ONE God. And I'm sure she was completely unbiased by her own religion in teaching us that. :cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    While sightseeing in NYC I noticed opticals do not have frame boards.

It seems they have "frame bars", often-times made of glass with merchandise inside, and have glass frame cabinets behind the bartender, er, optician.

There was no way to walk behind the frame bar, as it was built into the walls...you'd need to go through a door that led to the reception area to get behind it.

Or, consider how the mega walk-through SGH does it...glass and key on every display case.

If this country continues to fall apart, we may be redesigning our offices.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    If this country continues to fall apart, we may be redesigning our offices.

I'm opening a new office next month, and the first thing I had installed was a 6 camera system that I can record and view via the internet.

My displays are 85% under lock and key, and what is not locked, I can afford to lose.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Bob,

Good article you might want to show Sam, he has been hit by thief.

Don Price ABO/NCLE
    Donald D Price

Bad address email on file Christosfer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Theft

I worked in the Mall of America where the Pro's are everywhere. I have all kinds of stories. One guy shook my hand and I pulled away with about $300 in my grip, he was insisting that I open the Cartier case and get him a frame. When I handed him the $$ back he flipped out and started threatening me, I had to call security. Everything there was behind glass or behind the counter, that didn't stop them.
    I think the best thing to do was said already, sit people down and get frames for them. Imagine this:
    "How can help you?"
    "Just looking?"
    "I'm sorry, we don't allow browsing, if you would have a chair I will get some frames for you."

I have been to more than one jewelry store that has to buzz you in, that's another idea. Shop by appointment is another. Either or both of those would put a huge damper on theft. I personally like the -by appointment only idea-.

Thread Information