Thread: Search and Rescue

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Search and Rescue

Hi All:

As many of you know, I serve on a Search and Rescue team as a K-9 handler. Yesterday, my German Shepherd alerted on a body in 230 feet of water. The body had been in the water for over two weeks and the rescue squad had been unable to pinpoint the location due to the depth and obstructions. Schatzie and I worked the site for an hour or so and determined that the body was approximately 30 feet south from the point of entry. Until this time, the searchers had been concentrating on an area 25 – 50 feet to the north. A remote underwater vehicle was brought in from several states away and we briefed the operators on our findings. The team went directly to the body and it was recovered in an hour or so. This is our team’s deepest find and I just had to brag about Schatzie’s work.

Roy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Congratulations!

I know how much that means to you, Roy. Great work. I know the family will appreciate all your efforts.

Warren

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Roy. I spent 7 years on a search and rescure squad, eventually qualifying as a SAR manager. As you are undoubtedly aware, your dog's feat was accomplished because of the gases which form during decomposition, and rise to the surface. Eventually, I can attest first hand, the body itself will bloat up and surface with such buoyancy that it will often drag heavy weights and chains to the surface with it.
    Moving the remains during recovery often results in accumulated gases venting from various body orifices, some of them new resulting from previously mentioned decomposition. Oh I see its lunch time, have a nice lunch everyone. ;)

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations Roy!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy R. Ferguson View Post
    Hi All:

As many of you know, I serve on a Search and Rescue team as a K-9 handler. Yesterday, my German Shepherd alerted on a body in 230 feet of water. The body had been in the water for over two weeks and the rescue squad had been unable to pinpoint the location due to the depth and obstructions. Schatzie and I worked the site for an hour or so and determined that the body was approximately 30 feet south from the point of entry. Until this time, the searchers had been concentrating on an area 25 – 50 feet to the north. A remote underwater vehicle was brought in from several states away and we briefed the operators on our findings. The team went directly to the body and it was recovered in an hour or so. This is our team’s deepest find and I just had to brag about Schatzie’s work.

Roy
    I think Schatzie deserves a snosauges and you deserve a beer. :cheers:
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I first started working on K-9 Human Remains Detection my real interest was more on the criminal size of the field. Currently, we work with numerous law enforcement agencies on cases involving land based incidences. We are considered an enhanced resource for these groups since very few departments can afford to develop and maintain K-9’s trained in this specialty. The work is both challenging and demanding.

Working with the rescue squads on water recovery is different. The odor the dogs detect is affected by depth, temperature, current, wind, and a host of other variables. Prior to the find Schatzie made, my deepest verified location and recovery was 73 feet. We have also located two bodies in excess of 100 feet that could not be accessed. What made the latest find so unique was that we were able to pinpoint the location at 230 feet. To Schatzie it was just another day at the office. To the team it was a remarkable feat. That’s why I’m bragging about her.

Roy

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Best Dog ever!

Well done!!!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    She deserves an extra doggie bisquit or 19 :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Congratulations !!!

I'm thrilled to hear Schatzie did a remarkable job.

My own experiences as an embalmer in Connecticut many years ago, dogs were not employed, you just waited for the remains to float to the surface, or the police sent divers, but not to the depths you mentioned.

Just make sure the dog's nose is far away from the para-formaldehyde

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Very cool story, I love K-9 dogs.
    Do you have a picture of her to share?
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Thread Information