Thread: Error message on a Weco 430 - HELP!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Unhappy Error message on a Weco 430 - HELP!

Anyone who has experience with the Weco 430, or who knows German? Our optician's been on holidays for the past 2 weeks, so I've been doing some of the edging. Everything's been good up until this afternoon. I started up the edger to do a few jobs after the clinic closed, and I was greeted with this:

Error
    Nummer 11020

Nullimpuls des Achsgebers nicht
    erhalten

Z

Any ideas before I call for professional help? (Oh, and if you know any good places to hide from our optician.... :()

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Disclaimer - I've never used this edger and my German is pretty rusty.

It looks like this message is reporting that the machine is unable to detect the zero pulse for one of its axes. That implies a homing problem. The axis in question may not be moving due to a motor problem or binding, or there may be a home sensor that isn't working.

Not much to go on, but maybe better than nothing.
    Dave Finegan

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Call Dan @ Briot

Call Dan @ tech support BriotUSA he has a great deal of WECO experience...he will walk you through it. I think it is a thickness issue, the encoder is "off" or not reading the correct lens thickness. Try putting a leap pad on back of the lens also and see if the error will clear.

BriotUSA phone number 800-292-7468

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Hope your problem is solved by now. If not here are a few thinks you can try.
    The error refers to the Z axis of the edger (left right movement of the wheels)
    1. Check that that movement is not blocked by any debris, swarf, and doesn't have any rough spots, and also that the wheels are traveling all the way.
    2. on the right back side you'll find the Z transfer assy. Check the rack and the pinion on that assy. Clean the rack and pinion.
    3. check the balance of the edger. A worn clutch on the z unit will be influenced by the balance of the edger, indicating the need to adjust or sometime replace the z unit.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Anyone want a non-functioning Weco 430??

Thanks for all the advice everyone. When we called Weco in Toronto, they told us it would cost a couple of grand just to fly someone out to take a look at the edger, with no guarantees that it could be fixed. Since the docs have spent a small fortune already replacing parts for an edger that can't handle lenses with the newer slippery coatings, they decided to go with a new edger.

So, our optician is tickled pink that I was the catalyst for all of this :D We now have a brand new Essilor Delta T. And no, Essilor wouldn't have been my first choice (I was gunning for a Nidek), but I'm not the one with the chequebook.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

I might take that off your hands...is that bad boy free? lol

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optiserv View Post
    Hope your problem is solved by now. If not here are a few thinks you can try.
    The error refers to the Z axis of the edger (left right movement of the wheels)
    1. Check that that movement is not blocked by any debris, swarf, and doesn't have any rough spots, and also that the wheels are traveling all the way.
    2. on the right back side you'll find the Z transfer assy. Check the rack and the pinion on that assy. Clean the rack and pinion.
    3. check the balance of the edger. A worn clutch on the z unit will be influenced by the balance of the edger, indicating the need to adjust or sometime replace the z unit.

Also check the connections to the Z transfer assy remove the flat cables and spray them with contact spray.

Move the diamond wheels (with some force) left and right untill you feel they sort of "klonk" (a metallic sound).

Mostly this error is caused by the fact that the Z-axis unit doesn't move all the way from left to right.

Also you could change the battery located on the mainboard CR2450.

If this one runs low you can get most crazy errors.
    Change battery with edger on

Thread Information