Thread: As we celebrate our Independence.....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

As we celebrate our Independence.....

I thought that today would be a great day to post this:

http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/public/83.cfm

Thoughts...ideas, opinions?

I am so glad and honored to live in this nation and be able to celebrate my freedoms. I also understand that with those freedoms come obligations. Civilian Sheepdogs are under constant attack! I fight for us/them everyday....do you?

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    To which militia do you belong?
    RT

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I dunno Fezz...I'm sure the person who wrote that is very patriotic, and so am I....but, times change and sometimes written laws need to change too. The US does have a standing armyand navy and air force and marines. There are not constant threats to overthrow the government as there were in colonial times, and even if there were, a bunch of homeowners and farmers are not going to stop it. We've got the CIA, FBI, and DIA for that.

The Constitution was written at a time when the nation had just been born and the only defense we had were farm grown militias. I don't think this means every American today should be carrying a gun. Today we have governments, armies, and police departments.

I dislike it when people say we have to do something because it's either written in the Bible or the US Constitution for that matter. Ever hear of the "Rule of Thumb"? It says that a man may beat his wife with a stick no wider than his thumb. Does that mean we should all beat our wives with sticks?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    To which militia do you belong?
    The Tinfoil Hat Brigade, Optical Division

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    There are not constant threats to overthrow the government as there were in colonial times, and even if there were, a bunch of homeowners and farmers are not going to stop it.

That's exactly what they want you to believe. We are currently under assault, and nobody cares to believe it.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    I dunno Fezz...I'm sure the person who wrote that is very patriotic, and so am I....but, times change and sometimes written laws need to change too. The US does have a standing armyand navy and air force and marines. There are not constant threats to overthrow the government as there were in colonial times, and even if there were, a bunch of homeowners and farmers are not going to stop it. We've got the CIA, FBI, and DIA for that.

The Constitution was written at a time when the nation had just been born and the only defense we had were farm grown militias. I don't think this means every American today should be carrying a gun. Today we have governments, armies, and police departments.

I dislike it when people say we have to do something because it's either written in the Bible or the US Constitution for that matter. Ever hear of the "Rule of Thumb"? It says that a man may beat his wife with a stick no wider than his thumb. Does that mean we should all beat our wives with sticks?

First off I don't own a gun I just don't trust my self not to shoot some ahole who pees me off.

now as to fezz's link and your response. I'm worried if We the People can't arm ourselves than all our other rights and privileges will follow at gun point from the self same military that protects our country all for our own good of course after all what do we know about whats good for us we're not politicians.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Was just thinking the other day that I might just learn to shoot that little blue 38 Special that my ex bought me years ago and then get the CCW I need to carry it. Because the more the government sticks it's nose into my personal, peace loving and law-abiding business the more I feel the need to exercise my constitutional rights.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Was just thinking the other day that I might just learn to shoot that little blue 38 Special that my ex bought me years ago and then get the CCW I need to carry it. Because the more the government sticks it's nose into my personal, peace loving and law-abiding business the more I feel the need to exercise my constitutional rights.
    to that...

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is an attack by government to take pocket knives away.

What is next?

Read about it here;

http://www.kniferights.org/

I have not read all the info on this issue. I have not dissected all of the legal, moral, or social issues with my legal team. I am not trying to turn this into a debate team tryout. I am throwing it out for those who may be interested one way or another.
    Last edited by Fezz; 07-06-2009 at 08:08 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    First off I don't own a gun I just don't trust my self not to shoot some ahole who pees me off.

now as to fezz's link and your response. I'm worried if We the People can't arm ourselves than all our other rights and privileges will follow at gun point from the self same military that protects our country all for our own good of course after all what do we know about whats good for us we're not politicians.
    Do you feel the same way about the government's taking away a woman's right to have an abortion, or if the government continues to prohibit people from marrying who they want, regardless of gender? How about the government taking away the right of 18-20 year old citizens from drinking alcohol? How about the government limiting your right to drive through an intersection without stopping?

The point is that there are reasonable limits to rights and freedoms. I'm glad that my neighbor can't target practice with his shotgun at 2am on a Tuesday.

We live in a republic. We elect people to represent us and our ideologies. Our representatives vote, and, in the end, majority rules.

Before attacking me, I have no problem with Americans owning rifles and shotguns. I think there is more harm than benefit in the ubiquitousness of handguns. I don't want to see The U.S. end up like the Gaza Strip.

We are a civilized nation with a rule of law. We have mechanisms in place to settle conflict without violence.
    ...Just ask me...

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spex,

I don't have the right to willfully harm another person as in abortion or driving through a stop sign. as far as drinking goes don't really have an opinion I drank at 18 to 20 however I don't necessarilly support lowering the drinking age I know very few responsible 18 to 20 year olds.

the facts remain- legaly owned handguns are used in very few crimes your fears are unfounded.

ps you love me don't you, just had to quote me to ask your question not the other posters who agree
    Last edited by k12311997; 07-06-2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: ps

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    ...ps you love me don't you, ..
    ...Just ask me...

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Spex...that pic of the Palestinians you embedded in your post..those guns they're holding fall in the 'rifle' category....so those are OK, right? LOL :bbg:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Those are assault rifles, quite a different thing altogether. And something no one really needs unless they want to kill people. I know I sure wouldn't want to be out in the woods around someone who has a 70-round clip and the ability to empty it in a few seconds. While it is fun to blow a tree out of the ground with one (and I've done that) it's not designed for hunting, other than people. Shortly before the assault rifle ban took effect,one of my best friends rushed out and bought two AR-15s and a AK-47, just for the reason that they would be banned, no other reason. He already had plenty of weapons that we would take to the range and shoot. His Ruger .357 was really fun to shoot, compared to his Colt .45 service automatic. I always liked taking potshots at targets at the range.

But the saddest thing that has happened has been Wayne LaPierre transforming the NRA (my Dad was a Lifetimer and I was when I was younger) from an honorable sporting organization to a radical hate-spewing misinformation machine. Think of the Pittsburgh policemen killed by one guy who bought wholly the NRA's fiction that Obama was personally coming to bash your door down and take your guns, so he killed three officers who he thought were coming to take his guns away. If they were my kin, I'd be suing the NRA over that. They're so focused on only four words of the entire Constitution (right to bear arms - forgetting the rest of the sentence) that they ignore a lot of the rest.
    They foster a "Any government agency comes to take my guns away, you can legally kill them." attitude completely at odds with Article 3, Section 3, defining Treason as warring against your country.Shooting US agents,police, whatever IS TREASON.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Those are assault rifles, quite a different thing altogether. And something no one really needs unless they want to kill people. I know I sure wouldn't want to be out in the woods around someone who has a 70-round clip and the ability to empty it in a few seconds. While it is fun to blow a tree out of the ground with one (and I've done that) it's not designed for hunting, other than people. Shortly before the assault rifle ban took effect,one of my best friends rushed out and bought two AR-15s and a AK-47, just for the reason that they would be banned, no other reason. He already had plenty of weapons that we would take to the range and shoot. His Ruger .357 was really fun to shoot, compared to his Colt .45 service automatic. I always liked taking potshots at targets at the range.

But the saddest thing that has happened has been Wayne LaPierre transforming the NRA (my Dad was a Lifetimer and I was when I was younger) from an honorable sporting organization to a radical hate-spewing misinformation machine. Think of the Pittsburgh policemen killed by one guy who bought wholly the NRA's fiction that Obama was personally coming to bash your door down and take your guns, so he killed three officers who he thought were coming to take his guns away. If they were my kin, I'd be suing the NRA over that. They're so focused on only four words of the entire Constitution (right to bear arms - forgetting the rest of the sentence) that they ignore a lot of the rest.
    They foster a "Any government agency comes to take my guns away, you can legally kill them." attitude completely at odds with Article 3, Section 3, defining Treason as warring against your country.Shooting US agents,police, whatever IS TREASON.
    I know, I know...just having a bit of fun there ;)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's put off by what the NRA has turned into. They're worse than Evangelicals, as far as fanaticism goes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I never cared for Barbie....:p
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I bought my wife a nice pistol for Mother's Day. She wasn't a shooter until then, but now, she's taken too target practicing off the back porch at tin cans set up on the fence posts. (She's even shooting in the morning before work!)

Independence Indeed!:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Fezz;302006]There is an attack by government to take pocket knives away.[QUOTE]

Got in an accident a few years ago which tore my plastic bumper half off my car (not my fault). Couldn't drive home like that so the guy behind me whipped out his pocketknife and tried in vain to saw through it. Note: if you have one make sure you keep it sharp. So I asked the trucker that stopped if he could do it for me. Truckers will always have a sharp pocketknife on them. Sure enough, cut through like hot butter. Now, I ask you, if this idiotic law is passed, what will we use to saw through the crappy plastic bumpers on the crappy little plastic cars that we will be required to drive in the future? Oh, never mind, I won't survive the impact.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hope and pray that somebody has a Leatherman! Oh wait.........they will probably fall underneath the ban as well!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For those that are interested, check out a fellow on Youtube named Nutnfancy. He has several videos on these topics.
    1.) Obligation of carry
    2.) With rule of law/without rule of law
    3.) Lots of gun and knife reviews

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This Dude has written several books and hundreds of articles on the subject of guns and carrying.

http://www.ayoob.com/index.html

He is an authority on the subject.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    There is an attack by government to take pocket knives away.

What is next?

Read about it here;

http://www.kniferights.org/

I have not read all the info on this issue. I have not dissected all of the legal, moral, or social issues with my legal team. I am not trying to turn this into a debate team tryout. I am throwing it out for those who may be interested one way or another.
    It looks like the Customs would only have authority over imported, assisted or one-hand knives. So one would assume that ones made here in the USA would be legal. Now all we gotta do is convince those knife company owners to make their knives IN THE USA.
    Switchblades have been illegal for a very long time. When I was in a band, our electrician/light operator had his girlfriend smuggle a Solingen black classic switchblade in so he could have it. It must have been uncomfortable, given where it was smuggled. But that was in 1972, could not do that now.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Almost there!

Simmer down folks!

Step back and breath deep.

Inhale....slowly....exhale.....that is it.

Relax.

Put that Spyderco Tenacious back in your pocket!

Ease that SOG Vulcan back where it likes to ride!

Pull that Kershaw out of the ceiling tiles!

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=5043

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Almost safe!

Thread Information