Thread: Got new toy now I need advice

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Got new toy now I need advice

Hi folks. I got a new toy this Christmas, a CD burner. Now I have that itch to play with it. Do you folks now a good source for programs that will work on CD-Rom. I am talking about things like Search Engines and such. I am going to figure that a CD-Rom isn't the right environment for things like java applets so I am looking for what will work.

As you can tell, when it comes to code I'm an idiot. I am looking for something easy that allows you to just change a few lines and it goes.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Jo,
    I use a program called "MusicMatch" to handle my .mp3 downloads. I believe it manages CD burning as well.

Good Luck!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Easy CD Creator 5 is pretty much the top of the line for CD burners. One great feature is that when you put in a music CD, the program will automatically download the playlist for that CD from the Internet. Pretty cool!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

jo easy cd creator or nero are both good and easy yo use for cd burning.. mp3 conversion etc.
    i use easy cd myself.:D
    have fun:bbg:
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Wave

Ah i use Nero myself to burn cd,s
    As i have just started to convert my old LP's to Mp3's i can recomend "musicmatch" to grab them can even offer you a nice deal on it :D :finger: :D
    Cooledit 2000 is fun to play with :hammer:
    Have just done a nice load of cd's for the sprog after finding a nice set of mp3 disks with the top 40 albums of the month on
    Legal off course gov............

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jo,
    I'am w/steve on Easy CD Creator 5.
    I've been using the program since it was at version 2. It is very straight forward. It will let you take full advantage of your new "toy". Have fun :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I took your advice on Roxio Easy CD Creator 5. I like the drag and drop data copying. You were right - that's about my speed, as easy as possible. Of course now that I've got this thing the record companies are supposed to start making CD's that you can't copy. Now I have to make sure I have all of the music I want copies of.

Thanks guys!

Occupation

Wave

Originally posted by Jo
    the record companies are supposed to start making CD's that you can't copy. Thanks guys!
    Jo, One of the big co's has just brought out a cd that was supposed to be "Rip" proof and yet a search on one of the mp3 sites for the album produced the result that someone had managed to "Rip" it.
    The worry with these new "rip" proof CD's is that you will not be able to play them in you PC and they are saying that they will not be labled any diffrent so you wont know untill you try to play them.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Got new toy now I need advice

Originally posted by Jo
    Hi folks. I got a new toy this Christmas, a CD burner. Now I have that itch to play with it. Do you folks now a good source for programs that will work on CD-Rom. I am talking about things like Search Engines and such. I am going to figure that a CD-Rom isn't the right environment for things like java applets so I am looking for what will work.

As you can tell, when it comes to code I'm an idiot. I am looking for something easy that allows you to just change a few lines and it goes.
    Jo,
    I am proud of you! I got a new Gateway at the first of December and I have yet to try all of the bells and whistles-one being a cd burner! Oh well, maybe by next year! I am busy trying to find drivers for windows xp (man, what a pain in the ***!) to run my scanner and printer.

Evidently HP hasn't felt the need to create the driver for my scanner! I have searched everywhere and found nothing but complaints from angry HP former customers! I mailed my letter yesterday. I am wondering what they will do in response!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cindy,

Your issues with installing toys and the fact that I still have programs that need DOS to run are two of the reasons I will not be upgrading to Windows XP.

Alas, I may fall technologically further behind again.

Occupation
    Cindy - it is quite possible that the 'native' drivers in XP will support the Scanner (HP). I have a ScanJet 3300C and when I moved it over to my XP system - no problems.
    Last edited by JRS; 01-04-2002 at 02:53 AM.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jo,
    You could make the jump to Windows ME.I run both XP & ME on different pc's,and so far windows ME.......hands down between the two is far better when it comes to driver issues. And since Me is right behind XP it would a really big leap(and a petty safe one at that)to manage your pc's resources.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    My mom just purchased a CD Burner (and managed to install it in her computer without burning down the house... you go mom!).

Anyway, I downloaded Morpheus for my dad to download "his" music (guess you can't find Green Onions on 8-Track anymore ;) ), and they are getting ready to burn some CDs.

Mom mentioned that they had purchased "rewritable" CD blanks. Am I recalling incorrectly, or isn't it true that most CD players will not recognize CDs that are rewritable?

I can just see it all now as if its already happened... Dad burns the fruits of the dozens of hours he has spent downloading music onto the CDs. They play on the computer, so he deletes the files. Then, he gets in the LeSabre and tries to play Honeycomb (or Blueberry Hill or something) and- nothing! It all ends with me getting an upset call from mom because her computer is sizzling in the snow outside the front door!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It's true that most CD music players will not be able to read CD-RW disks. In fact, many won't read CD-R either. Your Dad should do a test first before he puts too much energy into this.

The other option is to buy a CD player that is built to recognize CD-R and CD-RW disks, and even the MP3 format. That way he can put up to 80-100 CDs worth of music onto one CD and still listen to them!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Well Pete, at least......

Well Pete, at least he brought you up with some GOOD music! hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation

Reading CD-R & CD-RW

On XP, the native CD writing software automatically 'closes' the disc with the ability to read from a CD drive. Commercial software, for CD burning, comes with options on how to 'close the disc' when you are through recording. It will (should be on the install software disc that came with the device). This is the important part of using these discs in a regular drive. Read the instructions that came with the recording software. You should see options for
    1) leaving open and only your CD-burner can read
    2) closing and letting most CD drives read the disc
    3) closing, but leaving the CD in a condition that you can record more later.

Roxio (www.roxio.com) has a trial version of their software that you can download. And I've always had great success with their stuff.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation

Wave

Originally posted by Pete Hanlin
    Mom mentioned that they had purchased "rewritable" CD blanks. Am I recalling incorrectly, or isn't it true that most CD players will not recognize CDs that are rewritable?

Pete, most of the newer cd players state wether they will play cdr & cdrw. If its an old cd player i would guess at it not playing cdrw disks.
    If they are wanting to burn music cd's i would stick to cdr disks at least they cant wipe the music off...:hammer: also they are cheaper, i pay 18p a disk from the local puter fair..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete,
    Most new CD player's (Home Car PC ) are multi-read systems . Just remember ........in the end make sure that the CD has been closed before you try to play it.

Thread Information