Thread: Physio 360 short

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Physio 360 short

Hey all,

A couple of questions: First, is anyone getting any gripes about Physio 360 and increased peripheral distortion? I've tried fitting half a dozen folks in this lens and they ALL prefer either the Physio or the comfort. Second, has anyone heard of a 1.72 index? I've got a pt. who swears to me that she's been quoted prices for a 1.72 and wouldn't believe me when I told her she can get 1.67, 1.70 or 1.74 only. Any insight would be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by JChesh View Post
    Hey all,

A couple of questions: First, is anyone getting any gripes about Physio 360 and increased peripheral distortion? I've tried fitting half a dozen folks in this lens and they ALL prefer either the Physio or the comfort. Second, has anyone heard of a 1.72 index? I've got a pt. who swears to me that she's been quoted prices for a 1.72 and wouldn't believe me when I told her she can get 1.67, 1.70 or 1.74 only. Any insight would be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff
    Jeff.. I'd say hang up the Essilor products and go with a Zeiss Individual! MUCH BETTER!!! ;)
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Jeff,

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Essilor, or the lenses you're using, or the material selection, or the Abbe value, or any of the other ridiculous things you often hear thrown about on the boards here. They work - but may still proove difficult for your patients.

Do your patients have any previous experience wearing short corridor lenses of any kind? What are their lifestyles like? Lots of computer or mid range viewing demands? High Rx's at all? Cyl? Adds? What are their frame selections looking like? Are you fitting right to the minimums or giving yourself some good breathing room? Is their any common thread (apart from the lens itself) that you can think of? I'm sure you've covered most (if not all) of these bases already, but it can have a significant effect on how well the final product is perceived by the patient. There must be a reasonable expectation and understanding by the patient as to what the lenses can do, and what their limitations are in real world use.

The Physio design is sound, and if you're having luck moving them into the traditional Physio vs the short, then perhaps it's not so much the lens design as it is a more general short corridor lens difficulty. We generally discourage from fitting extremely high numbers of shorts whenever we can help it, but you'll always have some patients and circumstances where it is perfectly fine and appropriate.

Bets of luck!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've been getting good results with the Ellipse 360. Haven't tried the Physio Short 360 yet.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I tried Ellipse 360 recently, and was a little surprised the lack of intermediate it gave the patient. After some research I found out from Essilor that the Ellipse 360 is still not the lens of choice for pt's who spend considerable time in front of a computer or other intermediate zone.
    My favorite lens is the Definity Short from Essilor, min seg 15mm.
    It's a great lens that can make the most of a small amount of space.
    I've had my staff pretty much replace all their would be Ellipse pt's with the Definity and so far no non-adapts in about 3 months.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    IMHO the best short-corridor lens with the best intermediate will the the Hoya ID LIfestyle. It has a better intermediate than my other pair of Auto IIs. And that's with a 2.75 add!

And ABBE DOES matter if the power is over, say 6.00D. My own personal experience proves it without any doubt possible.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I would throw the Zeiss GT2 Short in the ring for a great shorty. IMO the varilux line has run it's course they're desings are outdated and provide very little in the form of wow to patients. Lot better product out their for our patients let's use them.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shore Mini!?:shiner:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Fit Hoya Lifestyle

Well the first problem for you is using Varilux lenses, second you probably used Polycarbonate. I would recommend switching to Hoya Lifestyles in the Phoenix material. Problems solved. Also, now you don't have to compete with Lenscrafters/Pearle selling Essilors versions of the Varilux designs.

Thread Information