Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4.50 Add?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by hipoptical View Post
    In THEORY the patient will not see well. I agree that this is likely the case. There was a time in our not-so-distant past that science played a part in "theory". (Meaning that a hypothesis was drawn, tests were run on or against that hypothesis, and results were discussed and verified to produce a working theory.) Theory is great as long as the stus quo doesn't change. When things change, a new hypothesis needs to be drawn up, and it needs to be tested to see whether the old theory works in all cases, or a new theory is proven for different circumstances.
    In this case, customised lenses COULD be a game changer- and you'll never know as long as you sit in the stands talking about the "good 'ole days". What's the harm in testing your theory- it's PROBABLY still valid, but it may not be. Are you afraid of being wrong? Or just stubborn? I believe that anyone who is truly sure of something is not afraid to have that thing tested.
    I sometimes allow my kids (and my employess) to do things I know they shouldn't do (nothing bad or dangerous, mind you) just to show them that I know what I am talking about.
    It's a great offer I wish I had a patient with a +4.50 add to help get this thing rolling. I would even buy them the frame since your so graciously buying them the lenses. You'd be a fool to pass on this offer, it allows your patient to try experimental technology elevateing your practice in their mind, it allows the lab to push their equipment to limits, and it allows us here to actually discuss something of interest.

I have one question, can your lab do a progressive on the back side of an upside down FT28 blank, or a blended round on the top of a progressive blank? These are things that could benefit electricians, plumbers and other trades that I know.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry:
    You try it both ways on the same patient and tell me which one of is smarter.

New, even with words like "technology" attached does not translate: "Better."

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Harry:
    You try it both ways on the same patient and tell me which one of is smarter.

New, even with words like "technology" attached does not translate: "Better."

Chip
    To be honest with you I wouldn't suggest a progressive to a +4.50 add to begin with, but if I had a patient that insisted and their was a lab ready to try something new out heck yeah I'd be on top of that, of course I probably wouldn't recommend it as the primary pair but as an expirement if it worked out you just added another tool to your tool belt. I can't tell you how many sales I make just knowing about new products that others in the area are not aware of yet. They say it can't be done and this whoel thread includeing me say it can't be done functionaly, if you take the opportunity to find out that it could be done functionaly. I would contact every low vision practice in our area and send them a brouchure on our new in house technology allowing our office to provide functional low vision progressives, imagine the referrals.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    To be honest with you I wouldn't suggest a progressive to a +4.50 add to begin with, but if I had a patient that insisted and their was a lab ready to try something new out heck yeah I'd be on top of that, of course I probably wouldn't recommend it as the primary pair but as an expirement if it worked out you just added another tool to your tool belt. I can't tell you how many sales I make just knowing about new products that others in the area are not aware of yet. They say it can't be done and this whoel thread includeing me say it can't be done functionaly, if you take the opportunity to find out that it could be done functionaly. I would contact every low vision practice in our area and send them a brouchure on our new in house technology allowing our office to provide functional low vision progressives, imagine the referrals.
    That's what I'm talkin' about :cheers:
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C.S. Lewis

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason. C.S. Lewis

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I have one question, can your lab do a progressive on the back side of an upside down FT28 blank, or a blended round on the top of a progressive blank? These are things that could benefit electricians, plumbers and other trades that I know.
    (Edited quote to answer your question...)
    Yes. There was a thread about those lenses a while back, and they ran the lenses for me just to see if they could.
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C.S. Lewis

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know this thread is ancient, but I have such a patient now, who has been successfully wearing 4.00 add and new Rx has gone to 4.50 add. Anyone able to do this job?
    Quote Originally Posted by hipoptical View Post
    Some digital PALs have a variable inset, so if you start with a low add standard PAL (.75 or 1.00), and digitally produce the majority with a customised lens, it is likely to work. I would be willing to try just to see if it could be done. Someone send me an order, and I'll have it done through my friends. Then we'll have something other than theory to discuss.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    I know this thread is ancient, but I have such a patient now, who has been successfully wearing 4.00 add and new Rx has gone to 4.50 add. Anyone able to do this job?
    Somewhere on this board I got a link to a lab that is producing lenses where they could do a +2.00 frontside with +2.50 backside.... I so wish I knew what the thread was. I went to the website and thought to myself, "I should contact them, I might need them one day" I think they were in the midwest

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know Three Rivers Optical can do some pretty outside the box stuff. Maybe contact them?

Would introducing artificial retro increase the vertex and possibly power? Or lens blank thickness with a front molded add?
    You have my permission to scold me if I just exposed my ignorance. (again!!!)

Occupation

I am running a 7.00 add right now in a digital PAL. We regularly do 4.50-5.00 adds with great patient acceptance. PM me if you're interested and I'll be happy to help you out.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Younger has flat top bifocals to +8.00, and flat top trifocals to about +6.00. Limited base curves, mostly four and six, cr39 only. Round seg adds to +20.00 or more from Aire-O-lite.

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information