Thread: Zeiss: Experience 1.67(brevity sp?)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Zeiss: Experience 1.67(brevity sp?)

(AKA brevity 1.67)Can someone enlighten me about how "old" the technology of this lens to be.

The reason I am asking is we recently lost a patient to a private practice. I am in an optical department in sam's club.

Story goes like this: I first met the patient when I was dispensing his progressive lens. I adjust accordingly and while he is testing out his reading I see what his old progressives are. They are a pair of Varilux Comfort. Ouch...the kicker is we sell this lens so the person that fitted the Pt messed up and didn't even try to see what he was in(and if he wanted a flatter lighter lens we also had the accolade freedom in 1.67). So first thing he points out is his vision is not as great and I explain the channel for his old progressives are different than his new ones and it is going to take some time to adjust to them.

Now fast forward 3 days I find out from my new manager that he came back and got a full refund. She said that his Doctor said to him that the lens were great, made right and adjusted correctly, however the technology is 30 years old. Is this true? I know it's not Wave-Front super custom 2010 SE 4wd but damn.

I'm not sure what makes me more angry.
    1. Pt coming back after 2 day of (not)wearing new glasses we made for him and returning them.
    2. My co-workers lack of understanding of providing similar products leads to less refunds/remakes.
    3. My managers lack of ability to make my co-worker understand said #2.
    But...how can she when she isn't able to identify progressive markings .
    4. Why I am the most knowledgeable in the department with the least time spent there(one year) and how my manager gets full benefits, full 40 hours and more per hour!!!*rips hair* You know something is wrong when the manager that was said to have 3 years optical experience and no management experience comes to you for all things optical...(and some managerial...)

Sorry for the rant, it was childish, just tell me about the lens :(

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It really seems like you've learned alot in a short amount of time...and care about what you do.
    I so recall your frustration and have been in your shoes. At one point @1997+/- I was the only exp.opt. (certified) working in a 1-hr place in the mall had a new Lab mgr just hired from McDonalds....yes McDonalds!!! I need say no more....alot of problems for weeks I did nothing but apologize to pt's. and had to explain to my regionals why more orders where sent to central lab and not made same day!!!!clueless i say...

If there's any advise I can give. Dont ever feel 'stuck' where you are at.
    Latch on to someone that can mentor you, or self study. go to local CEC classes ---

To answer your question:
    Gradal lenses have only been aroung since about 2004+/- I think.
    Zeiss mfg for decades yes....but so has Essilor (varilux)....
    .....sorry doc's always right however..........
    but yea...it would've been nice if your mgr. would've upgraded/remade the glasses rather than a full refund....she'll have to justify for her #'s soon enough. just be sure and keep a daily/weekly personal ledger-document everything...it just may save you. cant hurt!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That reminds me. What is the name of the book written by the late Michael Disanto. And to be honest, in my area, the ABO exam comes only once a year, AFAIK, so I have yet to try to become certified. All they gave me to study off of was a pretest and the most basic training manual(more like a how to sell book)...like that would be enough...

Even though I believe I would be much better qualified to lead the department and train the staff I have a lot more learning to do in the optical field(plus if only I stuck around the University for 15 more credits I could bypass that silly 2 years experience policy they have in my company*shakes fists*) and I feel it's my responsibility to stabilize the department so that when I do leave I can leave guilt free.

and hmm 2004 was 5 years ago... Anyway I think they sold him like a Wave front iZon type lens...price gouging I say!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonazium View Post
    That reminds me. What is the name of the book written by the late Michael Disanto.
    Welcome to Optiboard!

Here is a link to Mike's book and contact info:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...hlight=michael

Bad address email on file JanMueller's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Welcome

It's always a sad thing to hear something like this, but we all have to deal with people not knowing what they do.
    Just remember that you did everything right and go on doing so...
    :cheers:
    Take care of you

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Leonazium;300388]That reminds me. What is the name of the book written by the late Michael Disanto. And to be honest, in my area, the ABO exam comes only once a year, AFAIK, so I have yet to try to become certified. All they gave me to study off of was a pretest and the most basic training manual(more like a how to sell book)...like that would be enough...

FYI: 2-Online Sites for the ABO STUDY GUIDE!!!! Hope it helps ya. Good Luck:cheers:

www.laramyk.com go to open-optix study guide (new test section I think too)
    www.opticianworks.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Books

Thanks guys. That really helps

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Getting out of Sam's Club would also help.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Abo study materials

Hi, I am Michael DiSantos daughter. Just thought that I would let you know that you can still purchase my dad's study materials. He has the TOPS manual, The Certification Review Book, and a DVD package, which is 4 2-hour DVDS (8 hrs total) of Michael, teaching you all you need to know to pass the ABO as well as both training books. If you would like to order any of the above listed, just send me an email at jjy1505@aol.com or you may call my cell phone, 330-858-9007. Thanks so much! -Lindsay Yanock

Thread Information