Thread: We all know how much I hate the big 3 but..

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

We all know how much I hate the big 3 but..

There is one area where I have found that brand matters very VERY much and that is sunglasses. Even my friends are clamoring for Prada, Chanel, RayBan etc.

So the simple question is, how can I buy that product without becoming a client of these companies directly? I don't give a dam^ if they are disco, as long as they are not super ugly discos.

Any suggestions? Which reseller has the best choices in trashy quality, overprice brand name sunglasses? I already carry coach, so mostly Safilo and Lux is what I am talking about....

Thanks!
    John Henahan
    Spectrum Eyecare
    www.speceye.com

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by john-atlanta View Post
    So the simple question is, how can I buy that product without becoming a client of these companies directly?
    Become a client only for discos. All the companies has accounts that are go-to accounts for only closeouts and discos. If you already have a relationship w/a company and give them steady orders, then they won't want you as that person.

They want to dump product on accounts that they don't think they'll get anyway. They don't want to cannibalize their regular lines.

Discos are to an optical what blood is to a vampire. Once you get a steady diet of them, they know you won't want anything else.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Disco's IMO are the products that dont sell usually. If you get them quick then sometimes you can get a couple decent ones. Ive always found with discontinued stock is that if i bought 10 three or four always linger and one bites me in the butt 6 months later for repair. so they savings isnt as wonderful as it sounds. Either find a high quality known name suck it up or work hard at educating customer over lower quality products due to high costs of licensing and the fact that the true name brand designers have nothing to do with styling of eyeglass frames. At least thats how I did but i always had a couple of lux sunglass lines IMO they have some must haves for my ideal inventory mix

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So the simple question is, how can I buy that product without becoming a client of these companies directly? I don't give a dam^ if they are disco, as long as they are not super ugly discos.

dido what rusys and johns said...
    just about all vendors have discos they want to get rid of... you can call a few to get your own feelers for what they have + $.

Be careful.....pat.satisfaction....that "1" that bites you 6-mo. later sometimes is not worth it...
    My sugg. if you do this, post a clearance section, note/mention limited or no warranty's etc.... it might help.just a thought....
    Otherwise go with inexpensive line that you steadily get frame replacements....

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by humbleABOCtx View Post

Be careful.....pat.satisfaction....that "1" that bites you 6-mo. later sometimes is not worth it...
    My sugg. if you do this, post a clearance section, note/mention limited or no warranty's etc.... it might help.just a thought....
    Otherwise go with inexpensive line that you steadily get frame replacements....
    I wrote that as an example of C.O.G. and the pitfalls of a seemingly good deal

if you buy disco merch at 50% off of the Gordon gecko collection. They discontinued them because they are not good sellers. If they were, they would churn em out as fast as they could till they werent = supply and demand.

hindrance 1

If they arent good sellers but you have to have them lets say you sit on 4 of the ten or have to discount it. Then one comes back to you because a patient broke and no parts available so you have to eat a restyle. Then your C.O.G. in buying discos is exactly the same as buying direct current merch.

hindrance 2

The big three has exclusive distribution rights and import export rights anyone selling these products or bringing them in from Asia or Europe is breaking the law. These companies also have quite the legal staff tasked to that purpose solely.

hindrance 3

The big three are not hated for no reason they have the money to aquire the hottest fashion labels around. Your patients are asking for them so obviously they are in a better demographic. Your war is only affecting you at the cost of losing patients. To the big three your 20k a year is inconsequential. The big three won in optical war because they solved the problem that independents either could not or were too lazy to fix. Thats inventory management. They made retailers lazy and kept them on the exchange teat and hoped they would stay there (and they did)

As for the "as-is corral" or discontinued section and making patients aware well i learned that my third week in the biz but thank you. Personally i would never have that kind of swap mart section in my store. I tend to categorize by collection and mark the sale frames accordingly or keep them in a frame sleeve and bring out when necessary.

hope this alleviates the confusion

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have lots of illuminating and entertaining comments - but not here.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post

Ditto...:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Marc E and Johns,

PM or professionals only thread?

John
    John Henahan
    Spectrum Eyecare
    www.speceye.com

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    There is one area where I have found that brand matters very VERY much and that is sunglasses. Even my friends are clamoring for Prada, Chanel, RayBan etc.

Any suggestions? Which reseller has the best choices in trashy quality, overprice brand name sunglasses? I already carry coach, so mostly Safilo and Lux is what I am talking about....

Thanks!
    You'll find it easier to wheel and deal with disco suns and overstck int he off season. Also what Johns said about beign a regular client, you'll hav toreally starve them if you want disco's they'll fight you tooth and nail.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course there have been cases where companys have discontinued thier hottest selling lines, like Charmant did with the 8**** series frames. And like Lux did with some Ray-Bans that were so popuular they had to bring them back. Sure wish someone at Charmant was smart enough to bring things back.

Chip

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Marc E and Johns,

PM or professionals only thread?

John
    Pro forum for starters...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Part 2... to be continued! We're waiting Marc :D

Thread Information