Thread: frames to hide dark eye circles ??

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

frames to hide dark eye circles ??

i had this interesting inquiry from this lady customer yesterday evening, which I had never had been asked of me before.

she came in asking if I could recommend a frame for her that could help hide her dark/under eye circles. they were not very bad, albeit she had makeup on, but what was interesting was not the fact that she had a real problem that needed solving, but the question itself. Anyway I told her I wasn't really sure, but just recommended some frames for her.

back to the question. logically, it does make sense as the frame does hide a substantial area of the eyes. I was wondering if anyone has any advice regarding this question ?

I find lots of frame-stylists here on this board, perhaps you could share something out of your training or your professional experience ? thanks!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh yes, this is many times a part of my conversation with women and especially women of a certain age (like me). Try some frames on yourself and look in the mirror, do you see how on some of them the bottom of the eyewire casts another shadow right where you don't want it? Also, you want to cover that area not cut through it so a semi rimless that is a bit deeper covers it nicely. Dark frames also make dark circles look worse. Another thing is this, some women spend way too much time in the mirror imagining small imperfections into great defects. Take the patient away from direct overhead lighting which is what is in her bathroom and causes shadows, sit her down and show her how different frames camoflage the under eye area. If you do this you will have a customer for life. Women love this stuff, trust me;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agrre with coco on this matter. What I find more interesting, however, is your name spelled backwards becomes SCONES. Was this done on purpose? Just curious.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That's what they invented double gradient tints for.:cheers:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I love the older ladies that want to have a frame that will hid the dark circles under the line, you know, so they do not look older. So they pick a frame that makes them look older than those circles ever will. :hammer:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    do you see how on some of them the bottom of the eyewire casts another shadow right where you don't want it?
    does that mean that only full-rimless or half-rimless frames are recommended in this case ?

you want to cover that area not cut through it so a semi rimless that is a bit deeper covers it nicely.
    when you say 'deeper', I assume you mean using a lens that has a greater vertical 'height' ?

show her how different frames camoflage the under eye area
    do you have some examples that do the trick ?

dark frames also make dark circles look worse.
    thanks for this suggestion. however, from my own retail experience and especially with the current fashion, darker frames like black, dark navy, dark burgundy, dark brown etc are more popular with the young and give a 'younger' look. lighter colors like shiny/matt gold or silver are more favored amongst the older/matured crowd. well this is my personal opinion and from my experience. for example when I have the youngish business/corporate types come in for frames, a very favorite color is black, it is very in-fashion now and they often comment that it makes them look 'sharp'.

so I think this would also depend on the age and fashion needs of the customer. also, I noticed some customers with fairer complexions also tend to prefer dark frames like black to achieve that sharp contrast with their facial skin. and also, some of the lighter colors like honey, pink, light brown, hazel brown etc are also more suitable for women and are also almost always only available in women's frame sizes.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I get this question at least three or four times a week, and they are usually older ladies, and by older I mean about 70+ (I work for an MD) I find that if left to their own devices they will find the largest plastic frame I have (usually on the Davis rack) and say to me does this cover the dark circles. And the answer is no it doesn't cover them, I think I have to also say it casts a shadow and makes them look even darker and the large frame makes them look older. Also if they have a high plus Rx it can magnify the circles. I usually steer them towards lighter frames, I don't agree that darker frames make much older women look sharp, I think it makes them look severe. Usually a nice soft color in a light frame looks lovely, like a soft brown, demi rose color, certain soft blues, or silvers, and it's not a complete departure from what they are used to. I too find that semi rimless is a nice alternative. I have not had anything but positive feedback from these lovely ladies. They are usually hesitant when selecting the frame but when they pick them up they love them. Every lady is different and has different expectations and needs for their eyewear. Just like when someone walks in and says what frames look best with my shape face, I say you are an individual and its more than just the shape of your head, it's your eyes, nose, ears, mouth, and hair Good luck, now I'm going to go find a publisher for the book I just wrote here on OptiBoard.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by DestinieNicole View Post
    I get this question at least three or four times a week, and they are usually older ladies, and by older I mean about 70+ (I work for an MD) I find that if left to their own devices they will find the largest plastic frame I have (usually on the Davis rack) and say to me does this cover the dark circles. And the answer is no it doesn't cover them, I think I have to also say it casts a shadow and makes them look even darker and the large frame makes them look older. Also if they have a high plus Rx it can magnify the circles. I usually steer them towards lighter frames, I don't agree that darker frames make much older women look sharp, I think it makes them look severe. Usually a nice soft color in a light frame looks lovely, like a soft brown, demi rose color, certain soft blues, or silvers, and it's not a complete departure from what they are used to. I too find that semi rimless is a nice alternative. I have not had anything but positive feedback from these lovely ladies. They are usually hesitant when selecting the frame but when they pick them up they love them. Every lady is different and has different expectations and needs for their eyewear. Just like when someone walks in and says what frames look best with my shape face, I say you are an individual and its more than just the shape of your head, it's your eyes, nose, ears, mouth, and hair Good luck, now I'm going to go find a publisher for the book I just wrote here on OptiBoard.
    they put the bifocal right on the lines, magnifying them. I hope I am not that silly when I get old

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    they put the bifocal right on the lines, magnifying them. I hope I am not that silly when I get old
    The best was my favorite patient she is 98 and we picked out the cutest Vera Bradley frame. She said, "I know there is no helping my wrinkles or dark circles. But I still wear makeup and I love my new glasses. Honey as long as it looks like tried I feel young again." She is the definition of gracefully growing old!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You've now discovered one of the reasons I sell so many Silhouette rimless with custom shapes:

1. Ideal bridge placement
    2. ideal top of lens position
    3. Ideal height width and shape for a specific face
    4. Camoflauge whatever I need to (with the lens edges including crow's feet).

FWIW

Barry

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    I agrre with coco on this matter. What I find more interesting, however, is your name spelled backwards becomes SCONES. Was this done on purpose? Just curious.
    yes you are certainly a sharp one ! yes this was done on purpose :D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by senocs View Post
    does that mean that only full-rimless or half-rimless frames are recommended in this case ?

No but lighter colored frames on the bottom hide it better or rather do not draw the observing eye to the area.

when you say 'deeper', I assume you mean using a lens that has a greater vertical 'height' ?

Yes a greater B measurement. I use the word deeper so the customer will understand.

do you have some examples that do the trick ?

Not really because a frame will sit differently on any given patient. Use a co-worker to model for you.

thanks for this suggestion. however, from my own retail experience and especially with the current fashion, darker frames like black, dark navy, dark burgundy, dark brown etc are more popular with the young and give a 'younger' look. lighter colors like shiny/matt gold or silver are more favored amongst the older/matured crowd. well this is my personal opinion and from my experience. for example when I have the youngish business/corporate types come in for frames, a very favorite color is black, it is very in-fashion now and they often comment that it makes them look 'sharp'.

Sure, you have to take that into consideration. If the patient looks better in a dark frame or prefers it then it's all about that B measurement.

so I think this would also depend on the age and fashion needs of the customer. also, I noticed some customers with fairer complexions also tend to prefer dark frames like black to achieve that sharp contrast with their facial skin. and also, some of the lighter colors like honey, pink, light brown, hazel brown etc are also more suitable for women and are also almost always only available in women's frame sizes.
    Absolutely, a contrast color on a fair complexion is very nice. Depends on the woman. She either wants to contrast or blend. Blending is "safe" contrasting is "bolder". It's just personality and preference.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Back in the day...

Back in the pre-pseudophakia days...
    You wouldn't believe the number of post catarct patient's I fit with contact lenses who were so happy (usually the first time they had seen well in 3-5 years). Then when we sat them down in front of a mirror they exclaimed: "I didn't know I had all these wrinkles. I don't want these damn contacts if I'm gonna see that!"
    They were through, nothing I, or the family or the doctor could do. Not encourgment, threats, or whatever would get them to ever put the contacts on after that.
    Wouldn't be supprised it they waited as long to do catarct surgery today, that some of them would want the implants removed for the same reason.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    man, that's just sad on so many levels.

Thread Information