Thread: Bend Over Here It Comes!

OptiBoard Apprentice Lachrymator's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bend Over Here It Comes!

As most of you probably already know, VSP is about to start some new changes beginning July 1, 2009. In case you've been asleep, here they are https://doctor.vsp.com/vspdctr/html/plan-changes.htm.

• Removing your $2 case fee.
    • No more dispensing fee for a patient's own frame job.
    • 30% off same day purchase discount.
    • New contact lens program. (This is the ship sinker)

It's almost humorous how misleading they are about these changes with wording such as "Supports your professional judgment."

If you look at the contact lens changes, they have added almost everything to their formulary (with the exception of many Ciba products) which means you'll be forking over a lot more product than you can afford. On average in our office, it looks like we'll turn a profit of about $2 on Acuvue Oasys products, and this doesn't include our overhead and employee wages.

So tell me VSP, how does that support our professional judgment? The OD, is now going to fit what (s)he can afford, and believe me it's not going to be the AV OASYS that America demands. Nope, we're going to have to look at it from the P&L standpoint, which believe me, doesn't support anyone's professional judgment in terms of ocular healthcare.

When soft lenses came out, the OD practice started changing, starting a debate between how much our services are worth and the cost of the products. Soon after, everyone started charging for the contact lens fit/evaluation fees which patients often times get confused about and may even try to refuse to pay. Now, VSP is just trying to kick us while we're down, because the only way we can profit from contact lens patients is fitting fees and second pair optical sales.

I found this insteresting page that was pretty humorous. http://eyeoverheard.wordpress.com/20...t-and-like-it/.

This guy is right, soon VSP will be in lens crafters and our equipment will be on craigslist.

So how do we stay afloat in this sinking ship? Well from what I can come up with, it looks like second pair sales is our only strategy. Doctors will have to PRESCRIBE multiple Rx's for optical sales, so we can get some cash from our 3rd party VSP patients. So if your practice isn't full of sales driven opticians, you'd better look out!

Rant over :angry:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    VSP will not be in Lens Crafters. Lens Crafters=Luxottica=EyeMed

EyeMed and VSP are #1 and #2 in vision plans in the U.S.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post

Yea I know that, I was just being a bit extreme. It wouldn't surprise me if they did actually come together though.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachrymator View Post
    So how do we stay afloat in this sinking ship? Well from what I can come up with, it looks like second pair sales is our only strategy. Doctors will have to PRESCRIBE multiple Rx's for optical sales, so we can get some cash from our 3rd party VSP patients.

If a statement like this ever gets out to the consumer media, we're all dead!

Drop VSP NOW!!

Barry

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had a long talk with a friend of mine who is a speach pathologist today. She related that when she left some sort of public domain practice and went into private practice she decided that she would have a policy of no third party of any kind. She says she has never regreted it and never had any problems whatsoever keeping her schedule full.

It's food for thought.

The above converstation started out when I went on a rant about four hours of no show third party appointments this morning.
    It also occurred to me that I can't recall having a patient who paid his own bills in cash ever complain about services or no show. It seems that people that have third party (especially taxpayer funded) don't really care about your time or effort at all. It also seems that these people always travel with an entourage bringing four generations of relatives with them.
    Many people also seem to think that as long as they are complaining they don't have to pay for the product.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    If a statement like this ever gets out to the consumer media, we're all dead!

Drop VSP NOW!!

Barry
    But you know it's true. Having multiple pairs is good for the consumer for getting an Rx for different applications. The insurance is only good for warming your chair to open the opportunity to sell something else that you will actually turn a profit on. Insurance is such a scam, selling you an agreement where only the 3rd party profits.

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    [CENTER] She says she has never regreted it and never had any problems whatsoever keeping her schedule full.
    I think that's what everyone fears is whether or not they will be able to keep their schedule full without the referrals of insurance. You either have to have good word of mouth or advertising along with good competitive prices to attract private pay. But then you get into the optical quality subject, trying to compete with big box walmart. The average consumer neglects their needs to accompany their budget.

It also occurred to me that I can't recall having a patient who paid his own bills in cash ever complain about services or no show. It seems that people that have third party (especially taxpayer funded) don't really care about your time or effort at all. It also seems that these people always travel with an entourage bringing four generations of relatives with them.
    Many people also seem to think that as long as they are complaining they don't have to pay for the product.
    That is so true. The 3rd party patients come in with their corporate attitude or their government funded "everything should be free" notion. Then they become more problematic than it's worth.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachrymator View Post

The average consumer neglects their needs to accompany their budget.

to expand

The average consumer neglects their needs (like the hated eyewear) to accompany their budget, and neglects their budget to fill their wants (fancy cell phones, overpried fashion shoes-handbags-clothes etc.)

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No insurance

Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post

I HAVE NEVER TAKEN IT AND NEVER WILL:cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Had a long talk with a friend of mine who is a speach pathologist today. She related that when she left some sort of public domain practice and went into private practice she decided that she would have a policy of no third party of any kind. She says she has never regreted it and never had any problems whatsoever keeping her schedule full.

It's food for thought.

The above converstation started out when I went on a rant about four hours of no show third party appointments this morning.

Chip
    Ort no be speat ari speach folks.

Seriously, VSP has learning the first 2 rules to making changes in insurance business.
    1. Higher premiums
    2. Less coverage

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    Seriously, VSP has learning the first 2 rules to making changes in insurance business.
    1. Higher premiums
    2. Less coverage
    Which makes this thread even more funny, the person is saying that the only avenue left to make money is to have the doctor prescribe second pairs. So the doctor has to comprimise on ethics to take the insurance plan, good idea. :hammer:

I think the title of this thread says it all, maybe modify it a little to say which lube he prefers to make it complete. :bbg:
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You can still fit non-formulary lenses, for now.
    Last edited by drk; 06-22-2009 at 08:37 AM.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I think the title of this thread says it all, maybe modify it a little to say which lube he prefers to make it complete. :bbg:
    Sorry, that's a non-covered item. To really be part of the eyeglass insurance experience, you are required to bring you own vaseline.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information