Thread: Oakley RX Sunglass Discontent

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Oakley RX Sunglass Discontent

Oakley, the second most recognizable name in the sunglass world, is the #1 worst lab in my book. Orders can take anywhere from 2-3 weeks to get back, with the large possibility that they are made incorrectly. Not only are they expensive because we have to ship the frame to the lab in CA, but the shipping costs to get the job back is from $15 to $25 every time.

It is now time to revamp our RX line of suns. Currently, we carry RayBan, Oakley, Columbia, Vera Bradley, Gucci, and Coach. (RX and non-RX) But what are we missing? We have looked at the Adidas line and are considering that but I want more than one sport line to offer to our patients. We have also looked at the SPY line but there are very few styles that are RXable. Does anyone have any suggestions on lines their offices have done well with in the RXing process? We can edge most everything on site, including 8 base lenses, and have had good luck with this. I am now at a fork in the road where I need to introduce more affordable lines that aren't as time consuming and as much of a hassle to RX. Any suggestions?

We are in a rural area but with patients who purchase from conservatively to extravagently. So I need lines that can cater to both.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rudy Project

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If anything, I would second the idea of bringing in the Adidas line. We've had huge success with them. They're also a lot easier to deal with, since you don't have to mess with odd BCs, because you're making the lenses for the adapter, not the frame itself.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Pech

I send all my Oakley's to Pech in Iowa. They provide me with 2-day UPS labels, their work is excellent, my patients have been extremely happy with their purchase and they are a VSP lab (no charge to vsp patients for wrap optimization, base curve or special bevel). Oakley hates them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We have great success with Maui Jim. Turn-around is not that bad 1 to 2 weeks. The only thing I don't like, but cannot help, is their prices are fixed.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Big Smile Perfect Optics in CA

I send my jobs to Perfect Optics they have the MEI edger. Its great

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    I send all my Oakley's to Pech in Iowa. They provide me with 2-day UPS labels, their work is excellent, my patients have been extremely happy with their purchase and they are a VSP lab (no charge to vsp patients for wrap optimization, base curve or special bevel). Oakley hates them.
    It is for just these reasons *no charge to vsp patients for wrap optimization, base curve or special bevel) that I wonder why both Pech and you would want to accept VSP?

What made these humans beings so special?

What entitles them to these subsidies by both the labs and the ECPs?

I don't think I'll *ever* comprehend this!

Barry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    We have great success with Maui Jim. Turn-around is not that bad 1 to 2 weeks. The only thing I don't like, but cannot help, is their prices are fixed.
    Hey. if things continue to go the way they're goin' with the branded stuff on the internet, it won't be long before you'll be jonesin' for the good ol' days of gettin' a keystone on you *own* Rx work.

Mark my words. Things have to change.

Take an action in the right direction today to fight the internet.

Barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sorry, wrong guy

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    It is for just these reasons *no charge to vsp patients for wrap optimization, base curve or special bevel) that I wonder why both Pech and you would want to accept VSP?
    You're barkin' up the wrong tree Barry. I'm a worker-bee here and have no control over what plans are used by my employer. As much as you seem to think you know about vsp, my title "Dispensing Optician" should have been your first clue as they only allow doctors on the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    What made these humans beings so special?

What entitles them to these subsidies by both the labs and the ECPs?
    I'm assuming they or their employer paid a premium - isn't that how it usually works?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Luxottica Sucks

The key players have been removed. Luxottica likes to be in control of remote business consultation. The optical leaders have been removed with compensation. The private institution knows what markets are good for them. Do we as eyecare professionals understand the quality of care in the US? Its clearly not the same as in Europe and Canada.

Carpe diem.:finger:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post

I also have been pleased w.MJ. they may not have the bright neon mirror choices like oakley, but they are a timeless look! we've been extremely pleased w. QA and most SV we rec 2-3 b.days and PAL's 1-2 weeks.

:)Prices may be fixed but patients can choose to go directly to MJ for direct warranty's if they choose ( move or travel....etc)

Remember/Realize MJ are patented...only MJ can make MJ (not an approved VSP lab)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Gino View Post
    The key players have been removed. Luxottica likes to be in control of remote business consultation. The optical leaders have been removed with compensation. The private institution knows what markets are good for them. Do we as eyecare professionals understand the quality of care in the US? Its clearly not the same as in Europe and Canada.

Carpe diem.:finger:
    Yea, LuxSux..

Thread Information