Sales Tax Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sales Tax Question

Our state (PA) typically does not impose sales tax on eyewear since it is a medically valued product. Therefore we do not impose, collect, or report sales tax on RX eyewear or sunwear. However, interesting dialogue developed recently: If a patient only purchases a frame without RX lenses, is it technically still a medically valued product ?

We debated that since the frame portion isn't taxed in a comprehensive package than sales tax shouldn't be imposed. However it could also be argued that without an RX the frame doesn't carry any medical value.

Your thoughts?

Do you charge tax on non-rx sunglasses? Same deal.

Comment

I charge sales tax on sunglasses (unless the pt is getting a prescription pair), clips, cleaner, cloths, readers, etc. The only things I don't charge sales tax on are frames and lenses.

Comment

Originally posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
        Do you charge tax on non-rx sunglasses? Same deal.

Not quite.......

If patient has an RX slip from a Dr. indicating "UV Protection" it is technically an RX........ no sales tax and in addition may be elgible for collective frame and lens insurance benefits/reimbursement.

Therefore that same pair of sunglasses from a mall kiosk that cost $199 plus tax may only end up only costing $100 from an optical provider.

Comment

Fair enough, in that situation. But the other 99% of the time, when someone wants to buy a non-rx sun, there's tax, yes? Frames with no Rx should be treated the same way. There's no Rx, there's no UV, nada. They're not a medical device at that point, so should be treated as such.

Comment

I,ve worked both in Pa and Az and both states have similar laws concerning eyewear taxes. I never charged sales tax on frames and or lenses as the frame is useless without lenses, therefore it can be considered a durable medical product. Even all the vision plans as well as medicare have coding & allow for frame only benefits. I would vote no on sales tax for frame only.
            Non-rx sun's are not a comparable item for this consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by PAkev View Post
              Not quite.......

If patient has an RX slip from a Dr. indicating "UV Protection" it is technically an RX........ no sales tax and in addition may be elgible for collective frame and lens insurance benefits/reimbursement.

Therefore that same pair of sunglasses from a mall kiosk that cost $199 plus tax may only end up only costing $100 from an optical provider.
              I sure wouldn't touch that one, not as an Rx .

Comment

I'm not quite following the logic... the way I look at is like this. Take safety frames. If you put non-safety lenses into a safety frame, they're not safety glasses, right? Well, if you don't put rx lenses into a frame, it shouldn't be exempted from taxes for that reason.

That being said, there are going to be situations where getting a frame only would be able to submit to insurance, for instance, if a patient was getting a new frame, putting existing lenses in, some insurance plans will cover that.

Now, obviously, I have no idea how the actual law works, but that's my take on it. :D

Comment

I'm not quite following the logic... the way I look at is like this. Take safety frames. If you put non-safety lenses into a safety frame, they're not safety glasses, right? Well, if you don't put rx lenses into a frame, it shouldn't be exempted from taxes for that reason.

That being said, there are going to be situations where getting a frame only would be able to submit to insurance, for instance, if a patient was getting a new frame, putting existing lenses in, some insurance plans will cover that.

Now, obviously, I have no idea how the actual law works, but that's my take on it. :D
                  Look at it this way, if I prescribed you a certain eye drop, and I sold you the drops but squeezed all the fluid out until there was nothing left would it still be taxed b/c it has no medical value in an empty vial?

Comment

It wouldn't be taxed, because there wouldn't be a charge period for it. :P

Comment

In Michigan there is no tax on lenses only or lenses and frame together. There is on just a frame because a frame is not in and of itself an aid to vision unless lenses are inserted. Contact lenses have always been taxed for some reason.

Comment

Fair enough, in that situation. But the other 99% of the time, when someone wants to buy a non-rx sun, there's tax, yes? Frames with no Rx should be treated the same way. There's no Rx, there's no UV, nada. They're not a medical device at that point, so should be treated as such.
                        Unless patients/customers get a free RX for UV protection with sunwear purchase over $159:idea:

Comment

It wouldn't be taxed, because there wouldn't be a charge period for it. :P
                          No charge on the samples, you're right. I'm just saying...

Comment

In Ontario, we face a similar situation with Clip Ons. If Clip Ons come with RX glasses, then no taxes. If they are sold separately, then they are taxed.

I think by that understanding, then yes the frame with no lenses would be taxed.

Comment

PAkev, you should visit the website of your tax board, I'm sure the answers are there.

Here's what the state of CA does. NOTE: rx lenses are with a CORRECTION!

(b) Dispensing Opticians. (l) In General. A registered dispensing optician is the consumer of ophthalmic materials including eyeglasses, frames, and lenses dispensed pursuant to a prescription prepared by a physician and surgeon or optometrist. Tax applies with respect to the sale of such materials to the dispensing optician. (2) Replacement Lenses and Frames. A dispensing optician is also the consumer of lenses and frames furnished as duplications or replacements of parts of eyeglasses or contact lenses which were previously prescribed by a physician and surgeon or optometrist. (3) Plano Lenses or Sunglasses (Without Correction). When plano lenses and frames or plano sunglasses, including clip-on sunglasses, are dispensed pursuant to a prescription prepared by a physician and surgeon or optometrist for a particular class of plano, the dispensing optician is the consumer of the lenses and frames or sunglasses, and tax applies to the sale thereof to him/her. In all other instances the dispensing optician is the retailer of such lenses and frames or sunglasses, and tax applies to the gross receipts from such a retail sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X