Thread: It wasn't brain surgery

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It wasn't brain surgery

Last month I drove to a neighboring state to buy a widow's antique eyeglass collection. I heard about the widow from a customer of ours who had been a patient of the widow's husband, an optometrist.

The widow lived in a beautiful old victorian style house, that had a small room off to one side that had been his office. He stopped practicing in 1979, and had passed away in 1986. The widow said that at one time, he had over 9,000 patients that came from the small farming communities tht surrounded the village. (To this day there is still not an OD, MD, or optician w/in 80 miles.) She told me some interesting stories about his patients, and the items they would barter and what not. You know, the usual story telling stuff.

When I asked her where her husband had to travel from this village to attend college, the widow starting laughing. "Oh" she said, "I guess he's been gone long enough to let it out...You see, in 1914, my mother passed away, and my brother-in-law, an eye doctor, came from Michigan for the funeral. While he was here, he spent the weekend show my husband how to check the eyes, and kind of "what to look for in the way of diseases" Over the years, he picked up enough equipment to where he had himself a whole eye doctor's office." She went on to explain some of the rather funny, and not so funny mistakes he'd made while learning his trade. When I asked her how many people knew he'd never had a formal education, nor an optometry license, she said that probably most of the locals, but none of the farmers had known. Then she added, "Oh, but he was a fine doctor!"

Could you imagine someone trying to get away with that today ? This guy practiced for over 55 years, and from what our customer tells me, had a fine reputation.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

I've got a similar one. My dad started out as an optician by working for an O.D. in Virginia in the late 1930's. It turns out that his boss, "Doc Bierman", had started out peddling eyeglasses (along with a lot of other things) to farm families from his horse and buggy. When the state of Virginia decided to license O.D.'s they allowed anyone who claimed to be an optometrist would be "grandfathered" in and would be licensed. Doc Bierman took advantage of this, had a long and profitable practice, without ever attending college or for that matter optometry school!

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Hmmmm....Thats kind of Like Jim Mora passing for a coach....

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

Larry,
    Back in my early days in the business in Norfolk, I worked for Dr. Donald Levin who had bought a practice at 425 Granby St. known as H. G. Bierman Optical. Could this be the same Doc?
    I worked for Dr. Levin in the early '70's and he was a wonderful Optician as well as a well-respected OD. I learned much of my basics from him, since none of the local Opticians were willing to teach a "girl" anything other than how to file and answer the phone....

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well it's not so uncommon really... :)

We had an OD here that is retired now that had a college degree. The intresting thing was that his degree was in art not Optometry. He practiced for some 40 years. As was stated by another poster, in the not so distant past Optometry was not a licensed profession and when it became a licensed profession those that were already doing refractions were grandfathered in as an OD. I'm sure there are still quite a few that practice and have never had an Optometry education other than what they've learned over the years.

It's similar to the rural doctor that was convicted of practicing without a license (I don't recall where it was but it wasn't that long ago.) Out of necessity and more by accident a local man had delivered a baby years ago and one thing led to another and everyone came to see him when they were ill or whatever. He read books on the different things he was exposed to and had a pretty good understanding as well as a knowledge of health care. He had delivered every baby born in the community and taken care of some pretty tricky diagnosis. The man practiced for 40 years and was found out because of a misdiagnosis of Diabetes I believe it was. It's amazing.

Anyway, I'm off to go away. See ya'll after the new year and Happy New Year to all.

Darris C.

Thread Information