Thread: Color Code

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Blue Jumper Color Code

In India, there is a typical demand for golden Frames. The people who like Goldens like it so much that probabaly they never get pleasure by wearing anything else. On the other side,there are :"Gold haters". Normally, Businessclass and Women from uppermiddleclass prefer Goldens. Teachers, professors etc usually prefer soft colors like Gunmental, Coppercol. etc..
    College going students love trendy varients including Black wiith matt finish.There is a grwoing aspiration for Supra Rimless, and the 3 Pc.
    The difficulty comes when a old golden frame gets damaged during Refitting. If the quality of Plating is good, the soldering becomes visible with distiction. We have to send the frame to local Goldsmiths to replate the frame, which I fear, may get damaged due to Acids and other chemicals used. More over,we have not facilities of Lacquar coating.What are the methods and materials required for Goldplating and Lacquaring which can be done by ourselves? What precautions we should take in order to keep the frame intact during the replating ?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hello Sandeep,

What kind of frame material are you talking about?

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Arrow Nickel silver & Monel..

Originally posted by JERRY HUANG
    Hello Sandeep,

What kind of frame material are you talking about?
    Hello Jerry,
    Nice to hear from you.
    I am not sure, but in India, they use Nickel silver and Monel . donn't know how to identify. No manufacturer mentions it anywhere.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the gold plating is real gold, it should not need any lacquering.

Gold doen't corrode. I have seen firearms from the War of Northern Agression with gold plated triggers. The firearm might be nearly rusted away, but the gold plated trigger would appear near virginal.

Chip

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hello Sandeep again,

As long as your frame is not aluminum,stainless steel, titanium. You may proceed eletroplating process as following:

Before plating........................

1. Remove all plastic components includes lens.
    2. Polish your frame no matter what.
    3. Sandblast your frame if you want matte finish.
    4. Ultrasonic clean your frame in hot bath for at least 10 mionutes.
    5. Rinse your frame in DISTILL WATER only. Make sure there is no "water break" appeared on the frame. If there is water break, repeat ultrasonic cleaning process again.
    6. Blow dry the frame.

Prepare right equipment, chemical..............
    1. a 10 volts + plating machine.
    2. cooking pot.
    3. thermal stick.
    4. 12 glasses beakers, must be big enough to hold the entire frame.
    5. stainless anodes,copper anodes, nickel anodes, 14 k gold anode and a role of copper wire.
    6. Eletrocleaning, acid dip, copper, nickel, and 14 k gold chemical solution. Plus a beaker of 1:1 mixed acid and distill water.
    7. Clean paper towel.

Now, you are in business......

Step 1-----Wear thin glove and fasten copper wire on both side of hinges. Close both temples and hang the frame in the air for now. Heat eletrocleaning, copper, nickel, and 14 k gold solution at maxium 45 c.

Step 2-----Clip the copper wire from the negative charge (positive charge holds stainless steel anode) Starts from eletrocleaning beaker and now turn on the machine at max. 5 volt for at least 5 minutes. This solution will take off all dirty grease, oil...etc.
    Rise in another beaker of pure distill water.

Step 3-----Soak the frame in the 1:1 acid mixed with water for 1 min.---This solution will get rid of any oxidiation in case the frame is tarnished.

Step 4. Now, Hold the copper wire with frame on from the negative charge (positive charge holds copper anode) and starting plating in the copper solution for 1 min. Rinse in pure distill water and rinse again in the acid dip solution.-------Copper plating will ensure the object to be well conductive for the rest of process. Maximum voltage = 3.

Step 5. Negative charge still hold the copper wire with frame on, positive charge holds nickel anode. Plating your frame in the nickel solution for 1 min at voltage 5.----------Nickel plating will bring the object luster base. If you want nickel free, replace with Rodium plating solution and anode.

Step6. Rinse in distill water and acid dip again. Change to 14 k gold anode on the positive charge. Plate your frame in the gold solution. Of course, any kind of gold color as you prefer.....14 k, 18 k, 22 k, 24 k, rose gold. Buy the gold solution with heavy deposit of gold instead of flash gold plating. Flash gold sxxks, the gold color will fade away in less than 2 weeks. You will need to plate at least an hour to get a micron of gold on your frame and so is 1/3 value of your plating solution is gone $$$$$$$$$.
    Rise your frame again in the distill water and acid dip solution again. Clean your frame with dry towel and now you got a very shinny frame.

If burned marks appeared, drop down the voltage depends how old the solution is.

Chief Chip is right-----------REAL GOLD PLATED FRAME DOES NOT NEED LACQUER COATING.

Good luck and have fun.

Jerry in Taipei
    Last edited by JERRY HUANG; 01-01-2002 at 05:47 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Stick out tongue OOPS!!!

Thanks Jerry, for describing the process so nicely.
    Now, I don't misunderstand it to put the frame in Sun Tester and say Open Seasum !
    Well, I need to work out the economics of all that.
    By the time, I am going to "Saraafaa", The Market of Jwellers with a wisdom Why I cann't do it myself right now !
    Thnak you again, for taking all the trouble to explain in great deatils .Now, the Gold is in my Court !:cheers:

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hi Sandeep,

I heard that there are cheap and good diamond (finished) available in India. Since you are going Saraafaa, could you look around for me,please.

Thanks

Jerry in Hong Kong

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Arrow My pleasure!

Originally posted by JERRY HUANG
    Hi Sandeep,

I heard that there are cheap and good diamond (finished) available in India. Since you are going Saraafaa, could you look around for me,please.

Thanks

Jerry in Hong Kong
    Dear Jerry,
    I will find out what they have at my Place. Although, I have heard a lot about, I never had any fascination for diamonds. I will first find out a friend who is a diamond buff and let you know about what I gather.

Sandeep
    :cheers:

Thread Information