Thread: Optician or paraoptometric training program

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Optician or paraoptometric training program

We started an office cold 6 months ago. I have a good optician that is going to make a great office manager as we grow, but she has little formal training. She has worked at a couple of chains over the years and went through a fair amount of on the job training. I'm wondering what training and certification program most people prefer. We were thinking about going with the AOA para-optometric training...ideas?

(ps. we don't have a local optician program and this is not a licensed state)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I would do whichever program you feel you would not be able to nurture inhouse, she would get the best of both worlds and you would have a more valuable asset.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    it really depends on what you're going to be doing in your office. if you're doing exams get the cpo. if you're making or dispensing glasses, get the abo. if your going to fit and dispense contacts get the ncle. or if you're doing them all go for the gusto! that level of training will take some time. also, that can be allot to expect of one person. be sure you don't overwhelm her or inadvertently leave her feeling like she has to accomplish all of this. depending on how busy you get (very hopefully) she may run for the hills screaming.

but you know what; if you want to groom her to be the office manager, you need to start training her for insurance. there are classes you can take. having a competent person on top of that will make or break you, because the insurance cos. will do anything to not pay you, including taking back money that they already paid you. it's a game you have to play (unless you're the only game in town and can opt not to take insurance) and the rules are intentionally obfuscated. if you are able to develop a business plan that doesn't include insurance, i recommended it. many practices just tell their patients to send the receipt to the insurance co. and get reimbursed.

good luck on your new venture!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Distance learning

There are always the distance learning programs. You may check them out at www.nfos.org. Some require a visit or two to the school. DeKalb Technical College in Georgia and Hillsborough Community College in Tampa, FL both have programs. Check with Thomas Schulz at DeKalb schulzt@dekalbtech.edu or Bill Underwood at Hillsboroughschulzt@dekalbtech.edu .

Just my two cents.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Distance Learning

Before getting involved with distance learning, make sure the student has the skills and the want to truly learn outside of the classroom. It can be a very rewarding way to learn, but it is not for everybody.

There is another school in the MidAtlantic that offers distance education that is very good like the others. That is J Sargeant Reynolds College and the program is Directed by Kristi Green.

Good luck

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    If you do decide to go with the AOA paraoptometric program, I highly recommend it. I did my CPOA in 2004 and my CPOT in 2008 (skipped CPO because I was already certified in Canada). As Optician1960 mentioned, be sure this person is suited to distance learning. While they give you a guideline for what will be on the test, it's up to the student to create their own study "curriculum" so she has to be motivated and organized.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions about the program.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A CPO sets a benchmark in your practice as clinical care. You may benefit from this when competing for contracts in a near future. In the past the only ones who impressed was your patients but in todays environment, you may have to impress the government in the coming of socialized medicine.

If you own an optical then an opticianry program is at hand. Keep in mind, nothing wrong for you to do the actual dispensing personally. Patients will be impressed and at the same time you would save salary money. If you are afraid about the perception of your professional image buy all the computerized toys to assist you in the dispensing. Remember how much profit you make from the clinical part and how much you make from the dispensing side. You can do both. Do not forget your roots.

CNG

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Uncle double,
    Check out Anniston state they used to have a good optical program. If you want her to refract send her to UAB or to ROATx in Texas. Dothan used to have a good optical program before it closed, you might check some locl colleges in your areato see if they have any optical programs. I know Enterprise state had a class on optics.

Don Price ABO/NCLE

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Anyone take one of these ABO courses?
    http://www.goldeneagletraining.com/

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Double View Post
    Anyone take one of these ABO courses?
    http://www.goldeneagletraining.com/
    No, but why not download and use this:

http://www.laramyk.com/education/ope...udy-guide.html

It has questions to go along with it and if you want you can download the review book and print it for them and use the questions to test them periodically.

Oh, and it's FREE.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    No, but why not download and use this:

http://www.laramyk.com/education/ope...udy-guide.html

It has questions to go along with it and if you want you can download the review book and print it for them and use the questions to test them periodically.

Oh, and it's FREE.
    Good call!

I heard that SOME of the authors are rather good looking and rather charming too!

{Keyword:Some}

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    {Keyword:Some}
    You said it brother. :shiner:
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Thread Information