Thread: iPhone or Palm Pre?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

iPhone or Palm Pre?

I love the idea of the iPhone however the touch screen is not user friendly for me. Now Palm came out with the Pre and it has the pull out keyboard. Only thing is that Palms are notorious for crashing soon and often.

If anybody has the new Pre or an iPhone I would love to hear your recommendations and experiences!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think I am going to buy the iphone Friday :)

I played with the touch screen yesterday and it was not bad

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Check with Sean....

He's had an iphone since the beginning!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    how do you like the controls?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't have one.......yet! I can't afford to give Apple any more money- I've got an imac and macbook thats enough!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I waited in line Saturday the 6th to get the Pre, as well as the Touchstone charger and a few other things. I love it, seriously. My ipod Touch has its place, since it has greater storage, but I'm going to keep all of my mp3's and movies on it. For everything else, I use the Pre.

It can sync with any email account you have, synchs with iTunes (iTunes reads it as an ipod, lol), the keyboard is much easier to use than the touchscreen on the ipod, you can run multiple applications at once, and shuffle between them instead of having to close each one out to go to another. The front also has a dimmer that responds to when you put the phone to your face for a call (so you don't run the risk of tapping the hangup icon with your cheek), text, email, voicemail, etc all have little notification pop ups that you can just drag off to the right of the screen.

The camera is excellent, and also synchs with your Facebook or Photobucket account. The text function keeps a record of your chats, much like an instant messenger does on your computer, in case you forget when you and your friend were discussing, LOL.

It's smaller and fits in your hand better than an iphone.

The only things I think Palm needs to improve with it can be easily amended with a software update. The alarm clock feature has a 5 minute snooze, which they need to make adjustable! I like my snoozes at 10 min, thank you! Also, when you plug in the charger, the screen changes to that of a clock, which is handy if you use the phone as an alarm clock like I do, but concerns me in the long run, will it burn the clock image onto the screen?

It will also sync with a Bluetooth, and you can opt between using an available WiFi connection, or using the 3G connection (which is pretty fast!).

Another thing is you can't change the ringtones for various functions like texts and voicemails and such. Again, easily fixed with an update. I think the Pre developers got so caught up in the little details of the phone, that they just overlooked a few things that people tend to expect in a phone. Hasn't crashed yet either.

It's still worth the money I spent on it!

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    So far i have had the 1st gen iPhone and the iPhone 3G and will be getting the 3Gs on the 19th. Its pretty much the only apple product i have ever owned besides a couple ipods. Im pretty much a pc only guy and have given the pre a few test drives in the idea of the palm over the next iphone.But i have to admit i have become a fan of the iphones interface and all of the apps that they have to offer.

Thread Information