View Poll Results: Has the US economy turned around?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 33.33%
  • No

18 50.00%
  • About the same as it was three months ago

6 16.67%

Thread: Is the economy turning around?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Is the economy turning around?

As of June 8, 2009, has the US economy turned around?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I voted yes, but I will qualify it. It is more turning around than turned around. Turned around to me would indicate a strong upswing or near the top. We are beginning to recover.

Occupation
    8 years to get here and 4 months to get back, you must have a lot of faith in Obama ;)

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Of Course its turning around.

Its a basic law of physics.....what goes up must come down. Up and Down, Up and Down....The American economy has been doing it for well over 200 years now.Its down now, but it will go up.....and then it will go down again. We've recovered in every downturn we've been in.

Did you get the idea for this thread from Howie Carr today??:D:D:D
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

no

I don't know what happened my post submitted as I was typing the heading which should have read no according to my underware drawer.

How your undies track the recession

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...recession.aspx
    Last edited by k12311997; 06-08-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    Its a basic law of physics.....what goes up must come down. Up and Down, Up and Down....The American economy has been doing it for well over 200 years now.Its down now, but it will go up.....and then it will go down again. We've recovered in every downturn we've been in.

Did you get the idea for this thread from Howie Carr today??:D:D:D
    Yes, I did. I frequently post polls from Howie. Today's results at midnight are:

Is the economy turning around? Yes ( 15% ) No ( 85% )

It does my heart good to see that there are still a few thinking people in New England and not all moonbats. OptiBoard usually comes in at about 80% moonbat but that's to be expected . . . considering.

It is a basic law of physics, only under certain conditions that "what goes up, comes down." However, I think that I should point out that the laws of the physical universe do not apply to the world of economics. Long term trends such as wages and prices while they do fluctuate over a short period of time have steadily increased over the hast hundreds of years.

I sure hope that the economy recovers to its 2000 - 2007 performance when we all made indecent profits which despite confiscatory taxes allowed all of us to be in a pretty decent financial position. But, unless we can drastically reduce this federal spending (at least slow down and think things through) and the resulting inflation and tax burden we will be truly screwed. Or perhaps I should say our children and grandchildren will be screwed.

The main problem as I see it is that we have become unable to sit down and discuss issues and seek well thought out solutions based on sound economic, military, scientific, and social thinking. Everyone seem to only want to throw feces at one another like a bunch of primates. And that's on OptiBoard and on Howie Carr, who, by the way, is on right after Rush.

Occupation
    Well you can be the leader if you want conversation to go that way. Lead by example.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    It does my heart good to see that there are still a few thinking people in New England and not all moonbats. OptiBoard usually comes in at about 80% moonbat but that's to be expected . . . considering.
    Translation "I'm surprised someone agrees with me" :D

It is a basic law of physics, only under certain conditions that "what goes up, comes down." However, I think that I should point out that the laws of the physical universe do not apply to the world of economics. Long term trends such as wages and prices while they do fluctuate over a short period of time have steadily increased over the hast hundreds of years.

And there is no law that I know of that says "what comes down must go up"

I sure hope that the economy recovers to its 2000 - 2007 performance when we all made indecent profits which despite confiscatory taxes allowed all of us to be in a pretty decent financial position. But, unless we can drastically reduce this federal spending (at least slow down and think things through) and the resulting inflation and tax burden we will be truly screwed. Or perhaps I should say our children and grandchildren will be screwed.

"All of us" were not "in a decent financial position". From here
    Open a newspaper, turn on the television, listen to the radio, or browse the web these days and invariably you will encounter polls indicating that middle class families are worried about their economic security. With good reason.
    Despite an economic recovery well into its fifth year, middle class families are struggling to pay for a home, health insurance, transportation and their children’s college education due to a weak labor market and sharply higher prices. To pay for these necessary expenditures, middle class families are borrowing record amounts of money, leaving them unable to put away hardly any cash for a rainy day.
    The upshot: More families are more vulnerable today to unexpected events such as a layoff or a medical emergency. A few stark indicators of the precarious financial position of America’s middle class provide a much-needed reality check, highlighting why so many families feel economically

insecure today. Over the past five years, the number of families with enough resources to weather a layoff or a medical emergency has declined dramatically, wiping out the gains in financial security that many families experienced in the 1990s.

read the whole artical, it's educational. It contains real facts, not rush facts.

The only way to "drastically reduce this federal spending (at least slow down and think things through) and the resulting inflation and tax burden" which was increased by the previous conservative repubican bush administration, is to ensure that the middle class can support themselves, and have some left over to give to charities, thereby taking the burden from the government.

The main problem as I see it is that we have become unable to sit down and discuss issues and seek well thought out solutions based on sound economic, military, scientific, and social thinking. Everyone seem to only want to throw feces at one another like a bunch of primates. And that's on OptiBoard and on Howie Carr, who, by the way, is on right after Rush.

You can start. Stop using the word
    moonbat
    ...Just ask me...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I think we'll start climbing out around the end of the year... for now, I think we're in the same position we were 3 months ago. Well, we would be, except we're an additional $800 billion in the red from the "American Recovery and Reinvestment Act."

I'm sure things will perk up as soon as the stimulus checks go out to the taxpayers (whoops, that's right- Making Work Pay doesn't include a stimulus to Joe Taxpayer). Stimulus checks are just another waste of my tax money anyway (including the $250 Social Security stimulus checks), but it would be nice if the fiscal restraint shown in chopping stimulus checks to the taxpayers was extended to the foolish expenditures and bailouts of corporations like GM. I haven't purchased GM stock as an investor- I sure as heck don't want to do it as a taxpayer!

The government didn't get us into this recession, and government spending won't get us out of it any quicker- let the economy do its thing and knock off the silly spending.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I doubt that we have hit bottom yet!

Occupation
    I think an interesting question to ask some people is "do you want the economy to recover." Seems like some people do not want that to happen.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I think an interesting question to ask some people is "do you want the economy to recover." Seems like some people do not want that to happen.
    At least under the current administration.;)
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I doubt that we have hit bottom yet!
    I'm thinking this is the lull that you feel in the middle of a real bad storm.

You know what I mean. The point in the storm where the rain stops, the wind stops blowing, and you venture outside to pick up the garbage cans that blew around.

That's when you look up and see that the sky is eerily yellow. It's about then that you hear the tornado siren go off, and make a mad dash for the cellar.

I don't think we're anywhere close to hitting the bottom. The second wave of the commercial loan refinances that will come due have not hit, and that's going to affect employers, which will result in (more) mass lay-offs.

Talk to a commercial banker and ask them how many commercial loans they're making now. There's money to lend, but they're not lending because they don't know what the rules will be 6 months from now. Nationalization of the banking industry is scaring the crap out of these guys, and they're not making many moves.

I don't care what administration is in. I want it to improve ASAP, but I don't think we've seen anything yet.:o
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I'm thinking this is the lull that you feel in the middle of a real bad storm.

You know what I mean. The point in the storm where the rain stops, the wind stops blowing, and you venture outside to pick up the garbage cans that blew around.

That's when you look up and see that the sky is eerily yellow. It's about then that you hear the tornado siren go off, and make a mad dash for the cellar.

I don't think we're anywhere close to hitting the bottom. The second wave of the commercial loan refinances that will come due have not hit, and that's going to affect employers, which will result in (more) mass lay-offs.

Talk to a commercial banker and ask them how many commercial loans they're making now. There's money to lend, but they're not lending because they don't know what the rules will be 6 months from now. Nationalization of the banking industry is scaring the crap out of these guys, and they're not making many moves.

I don't care what administration is in. I want it to improve ASAP, but I don't think we've seen anything yet.:o

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thread Information