Thread: Best Progressive for computer vs. reading, etc.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Best Progressive for computer vs. reading, etc.

Does anyone have a sort of 'cheat sheet' on best types of progressives for their different purposes--or a chart that shows the min segs and purposes?

(In our office we mostly use the Definity and Comfort for general purpose, Physio and Panamic for computer users, and Definity and Physio 360 short for smaller frames and those who do not require much intermediate.)

What are some types of Progressives others use?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Computer use

I have worn Physio and Panamic and Comfort. Physio is way better than either of the others but GT2 is way better than any of those. If price is no object, Autograph 2 and Zeiss Individual are the best. Definity is in the same class.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think you may have some of these in the wrong category. Physio has an improved distance zone compared to previous Varilux lenses, but not necessarily any improvement in near or intermediate.
    Definity with the "dual add" has an improved intermediate area. But I'm not sure the near is larger, maybe a bit.
    Drop the Panamic like Essilor is doing.

Since you only use Varilux lenses, your rep should supply you with seg heights. It's in all our catalogs. Physio, panamic, Definity - 17mm. Definity short - 15mm. Ellipse - 14mm. Comfort - 18mm. P360 - 14mm (or 13?). All these are by memory, so I'm sure somone will correct me if they arent' exactly right.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Physio, panamic, Definity - 17mm. Definity short - 15mm. Ellipse - 14mm. Comfort - 18mm. P360 - 14mm (or 13?). All these are by memory, so I'm sure somone will correct me if they arent' exactly right.
    Verify these and any others at www.thelensguru.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Essilor

Why are you using Essilor/Varilux in the first place? Especially the comfort, my god do you drive a 15 year old car and if so why should patients pay full sticker for such an old design. Wake up and drop Essilor/Varilux products. There are several designs that are much better, cheaper and have reps who give a #!*?. Look at Kodak, Zeiss and Hoya much better products. Leave Essilor to sell to Lenscrafters/Pearle/Walmart and Costco.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    If you really want something for computer and reading then don;t ever think of multifocal, probably something like Hoya Tact, Nikon web, Sola Assess, Zeiss Claret Business or anything else that stand for that purpose. multifocal for sure can't provide the wide intermediate as the lenses i have stated.

if your patient really need a pair that able to help up then Sola One can be considered. my patient quite satisfy with it..

hope it help.
    Yeap

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would classify the Definity as the best progressive for computer and readking, I get complete clarity across the width of my lenses in both.

Physio to me is more a general purpose lens.

Thread Information