Thread: New Social Group- Optical Based Charity!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

New Social Group- Optical Based Charity!

Announcing...

Optiboard World Vision Project

The idea is to have a more active conversation about the various ways we can contribute to the world's eye health.

Various topics can include both local and internation based charity efforts, ways to do our part.. and perhaps the combination of effort to support a larger project.

Come join Jacqui and I .. on our mission to help the world to see!
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I've been thinking of starting a local charity program for underprivilidged people in my area but dont know how to filter through the B.S. to find the truly needy.

I would be happy to join other providers here on optiboard to make it an international collective effort under 1 name.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Come join us then and we can discuss that, amongst other things!

Jacqui is one who has experience setting up the requirements for such endeavors. I have used my local charities guidelines, by having them qualify them first.

However, it sounds like a great topic to discuss!
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Are we that disconnected from our neighbors that we have to rely on social service providers to find those among us in need? It should not be too difficult to find those who could use assistance in your community. Just volunteer at a local shelter or soup kitchen. Do we know, or care, that little about our existing customers to see who could use a free pair of glasses?

I guess we are all too taken up with our own self interests to really care. I would judge the success of a practice by the amount of pro bono work that it anonymously performs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The idea is not to do one off things.. (though I still think that would be a great benefit too...)

The idea is to create something sustainable for both local groups and abroad.

For example, Prevent Blindness Indiana spent over 350K in its last fiscal year to provide services and education. This isn't counting the additional 360K worth of inkind services. While my office helps a few people here and there gratis.. and a few others low cost.. not every office has, nor they will.

With the economy tanking, not only has it hit your wallet and investments, but it also has hit the annuities and other long term investment vehicles that help supply a lot charities with operating funds. This is at a time when we have more people in need that ever. Not just with eyeglasses, but for assistance with medications for glaucoma, AMD, and other eye vision damaging diseases.

My personal goal, would be to reduce the cost of providing the materials for those in need.. to allow more $$ to go to providing straight up medical care.

This is why I am in the process of helping to create partnerships between a few local labs, and PBI. For the labs, they can get tax incentives and more than likely receive better "good will" from the community by working with a nationally known, Non-Profit Organization.. than working with a single doctor. Not to mention it is a great way for a lab to get their foot in the door with a place of business they may not have a relationship with.

Ultimately.. one person can only do so much.. combined effort, along with organization can make us so much more than the sum of our parts.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    Announcing...

Optiboard World Vision Project

The idea is to have a more active conversation about the various ways we can contribute to the world's eye health.

Various topics can include both local and internation based charity efforts, ways to do our part.. and perhaps the combination of effort to support a larger project.

Come join Jacqui and I .. on our mission to help the world to see!

Do you have a link? :bbg:
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

By Request!

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/group.php?groupid=17

Here's the link to our Social Group for the Optiboard World Vision project.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/group.php?groupid=17

Here's the link to our Social Group for the Optiboard World Vision project.
    DUUUUUUUHHH
    I thought it was an external thing.
    Thanks;)
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Are we that disconnected from our neighbors that we have to rely on social service providers to find those among us in need?

My business is setup in a fairly wealthy retirements community, I do not live in the community because I'm not 50+. I do not accept medicaid or any other low income insurance.

For me it's very tough to figure out who needs help, there are no soup kitchens, the churches are multi-million dollar buildings in this community.

I do not have time to go out and solicit free work so I'm hoping someone can shed some light for me as to how I may be able to find the truly deserving and needy not the people waiting for a handout.

I've worked with the lenscrafters "Gift of Sight" and "Hometown Day" I was very disappointed in thier screening process which sent people who wanted to upgrade to Armani and DKNY instead of people who truly had no other options.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As was stated on a previous thread, a lot of the success of these programs is based on the quality of referrals you get from the organization.

Some charities just operate on a person's word.. a few others go by income guidelines.. some go beyond that, such as PBI who will use a database to check to see if the people asking for assistance has insurance that covers vision to any degree.

A few ideas:

Establish a relationship with an organization that helps to train/retrain people. There are organizationst that will provide them with an "interviewing" outfit.. how about doing one better and providing them with exams and a decent pair of glasses.

Offer your services to a known optical based charity. Prevent Blindness, the Lions Club, etc. Ask them how they screen.. and tell them what you would be able to do.

Check with your local United Way. They have a list of community based organizations that support those in need or at risk.

When I lived in WA state, I was told there wasn't any need on the eastside. Afterall, my store was within 10 miles of Bill Gates house! We contacted a local womens shelter .. and we ended up having 15 people referred. I also had another 20 come in from across the bridge.. People seem willing to drive/take a bus to travel 15-20 miles if it meant they could get their eye care take care of..

Cassandra

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Have a look at this

http://www.infantsee.org/

And this

http://www.ramusa.org/

:D :D :D

Thread Information