Thread: Essilor Interview vs. Definity

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Essilor Interview vs. Definity

First I'll say that I'm aware of the difference between these 2 lens designs for the most part. Problem is I had a pt. come in today that we've remade twice.
    Turns out the optician who originally helped this pt. did not inquire into why this pt. had a check box on their rx next to 'Interview'. We went from Ellipse, to Physio and finally to my trusty Definity Short. Pt came back from their Dr. today and was very upset because we didn't give her the correct lens her doc wanted from the beginning.
    The Rx is as follows:
    +.50 -.50 x 180
    +.50 -.50 x 180
    ADD +2.00 OU

In your opinion, do you believe the Interview will work for this pt. better than any of the above mentioned PALs? This pt. is of course a first time PAL wearer, and has VSP, so this pair is gonna have to be on the house.
    I feel that we have an obligation to at least try the Interview since that's what her doc originally rx'd. Your thoughts please.

Thanks,
    Austin:hammer:

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Sounds like you don't win this one

Quote Originally Posted by s-man-optiker View Post
    First I'll say that I'm aware of the difference between these 2 lens designs for the most part. Problem is I had a pt. come in today that we've remade twice.
    Turns out the optician who originally helped this pt. did not inquire into why this pt. had a check box on their rx next to 'Interview'. We went from Ellipse, to Physio and finally to my trusty Definity Short. Pt came back from their Dr. today and was very upset because we didn't give her the correct lens her doc wanted from the beginning.
    The Rx is as follows:
    +.50 -.50 x 180
    +.50 -.50 x 180
    ADD +2.00 OU

In your opinion, do you believe the Interview will work for this pt. better than any of the above mentioned PALs? This pt. is of course a first time PAL wearer, and has VSP, so this pair is gonna have to be on the house.
    I feel that we have an obligation to at least try the Interview since that's what her doc originally rx'd. Your thoughts please.

Thanks,
    Austin:hammer:
    Seems to me you have both the patient and Dr. working against you. No matter what you do at this point if it is not what the Dr. ordered both are going to believe it is the wrong lens. The design the way any other lens is fitted just won't even be considered. No matter how right you are in this case, you will be wrong in the eyes of the customer, (Patient).

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The interview is a computer/office type lens design!

This is great for everything but driving and watching TV; but how did the comunication break down if that is the intended product.

Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    VSP's in Germany? I didn't know that......

I thought Europeans were smarter than us....:shiner:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bet the doctor has a dispensary of his own.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Yeah, guess the toughest part is that I'm being told not to refund the pt's cost for the progressives. Even if I can get VSP to make a new authorization so she can go elsewhere for her glasses, don't we still owe her the pt. fees back? I'm in Houston, TX now, haven't updated my profile since I came back to the states - and we didn't have VSP in Germany... man I miss that place!!!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Fee back?

S-Man:

Whether the fee is due back is up to your employer. The honorable thing to do would be give the fee back. But perhaps you do not work for an honorable man. If it's his money, it's his decision. His honor or lack of same.

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist
    ya agree with Chip, the Dr has his own dispensary.. no matter how many time you change the lens it may back to the same.. Physio is good enough in fact..

but i would doubt why the Dr will want it to be using the 'Interview'? also what is the patient main complaint when you first fit with Ellipse? is it your patient intention is to have a desk work glasses?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My thoughts?

Stop using Essilor products and switch to Zeiss! :bbg:
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

progressive lens

Quote Originally Posted by s-man-optiker View Post
    Yeah, guess the toughest part is that I'm being told not to refund the pt's cost for the progressives. Even if I can get VSP to make a new authorization so she can go elsewhere for her glasses, don't we still owe her the pt. fees back? I'm in Houston, TX now, haven't updated my profile since I came back to the states - and we didn't have VSP in Germany... man I miss that place!!!
    Well technically because the rx was not dispensed as written w/(interview lens), I think it would be kind of your office to refund the progressive fee's since the patient trusted the optician to fill it as written by their doctor which was totally ignored. If you had given the patient an interview that didn't work you would at least have a leg to stand on. In my opinion this would be a no brainer, tell your doctor he should suck this one up and give the patient what they originally came in for. Than you can turn the blame to the doctor that wrote the rx.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Hoya Tact

The first mistake is using Essilor products. This person needs the Hoya Tact 40 or 60, or the Shamir office. I lean towards the Office but don't use polycarbonate unless semi-rimless.

Thread Information