Thread: atLast! Lens?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

atLast! Lens?

I have a patient that has tried numerous times in the past and once recently to use Progressives. She is very easy to work with and really tried to adjust to her new glasses, but was unsuccessful. She has been "ok" with two pairs of lined bifocals, one for distance and near and one for computer and near. She does have an issue with driving as there is no intermediate for her tachometer, radio, etc. Has anyone dispensed the atLast! lens yet? I would like some feedback if you have. I'm wondering if this would be an ideal lens for her. Thanks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This is there only purpose! Great for progressive failures!

It is a weird lens and is a no line trifocal with a huge image jump. The only people who will want to wear it and pay the extra cost is a progressive reject who really wants an intermediate.

I would still rather put them in a new free form lens first and then use as the last resort.

We ordered 2 pair for my opticians and lab person; none wear them at all. The optician preferred his progressives for office work and the lab person continues to love his office lens. Both are new Shamir free form or Kodak designs in free form and they work great already.

Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused hmmm

Thanks Craig! I put her in a Physio 360, and she did not adapt to them. I think she has her mind made up that progressives won't "work" for her. I thought maybe the atLast! lens might be a good idea, but now I'm not so sure. I seem to only be able to get a hold of bits and pieces of information about this lens.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

From the FAQ's provided by PixelOptics...

Who should wear atLast! Enhanced Multifocal Lenses?

Current bifocal and trifocal wearers are the primary candidates. atLast! is also an excellent solution for computer users, progressive lens non-adapts or a second pair for progressive wearers who need more intermediate.

Does that help?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

At last does work

We've had success with patients who can't get used to progressive lenses.One of the successes is one of our receptionists who was a previous flattop wearer.She loves the At Last lens.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

AtLast

The AtLast lens works ok but you need to screen the right patients. I would try a Hoya iD if she's ok with the cost. Hoya's designs I feel are far superior to anything Essilor/Varilux can offer. Also think about this, why support Essilor/varilux when your patients can go Walmart, Costco, Lenscrafters, Pearle and Sears and get the same lenses. Just a thought

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

How does it really look?

Attached are the sphere and astigmatism maps and the corridor cross section. I marked the borders of the round segment on the maps. There's a smart choice of segment size and position - the border passes through the "cheeks" of the astigmatism maps since this is the place where it can cause little damage. The design succeeds in lowering horizontal distortions, but the segment does have to cross the corridor at some point and that's the reason for the increase in residual astigmatism at some point along the corridor. In other words, PALs design (as opposed to bifocal) are used for a reason, and this reason cannot be bypassed using a composite design. However, this hybrid design may work better for people who are used to bifocals or trifocals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails at last composite maps.jpg   at last composite cross-section.jpg  

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Raanan Bavli View Post
    However, this hybrid design may work better for people who are used to bifocals or trifocals.
    That is the target market for this design.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Wave

:bbg:HI judy have you tryed the IMage with alot of fac wrap and check the pan tilt. Billl Swain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Bill,
    Why would I want to do that? I was simply quoting from the atLast! literature.

Sorry,
    Judy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have dispensed about 4 sets of the At last lens and have had nothing but positive feed back after a few minor measuring adjustments were made. My patients were all 50+ and were wearing a lined bifocal , and just wanted some mid-range vision. The first two I dispensed , I had to remake because the seg seemed to be too far out. I moved the pds in 2.5mm per eye and it WORKED!!! the other two I just started with the adjusted npd and everyone has loved it. I think this lens is a smart solution and is worth a try for your lined multifocal patients.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Raanan Bavli View Post
    In other words, PALs design (as opposed to bifocal) are used for a reason, and this reason cannot be bypassed using a composite design. However, this hybrid design may work better for people who are used to bifocals or trifocals.
    I loved the old SmartSeg design and was surprised that a SmartSeg2 with an enhanced midrange and near configuration and fewer aberations was never released.

It was a catagory killer. I still have patients lamenting about its demise years ago. Nothing came close. I wish Zeiss never killed the lens.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Foveator View Post
    I loved the old SmartSeg design and was surprised that a SmartSeg2 with an enhanced midrange and near configuration and fewer aberations was never released.

It was a catagory killer. I still have patients lamenting about its demise years ago. Nothing came close. I wish Zeiss never killed the lens.

I had to replace a pair of Smart Segs last week. He went with 8X35 tris and was pretty happy.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information