Thread: Please Help!!! - RGP Lenses Extreme Myopia

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Confused Please Help!!! - RGP Lenses Extreme Myopia

Dear Sirs, I really am desperate.

Please pardon my intrusion and kindly read my question.
    I am a 39 year old female with -22 R -17 L (dioptres for glasses) and high astigmatism ( if not mistaken around 5 (?).

I have been accompanied by the same optician and used RGB contact lenses for almost 20 years now. To me be honest I have a pair of old glasses I keep in a drawer as backup but NEVER use them. In fact RGB's literally changed my life, no understatement and can't imagine going back to glasses.

Firstly let me say that I have a very limited choice of professionals I can ask for help.Additionally, my optician has always been competent in the sense that he has always fitted the contacts adequately.

So heres my issue: my contacts have began to feel not so comfortable
    and I am wetting them all the time. Since they are still recent ( 8 months ) and the same ones I always wear I'm pretty sure the problem is that age is knocking and my tears are starting to go out the door ( a woman knows these things). I mentioned this to the optician and he advised me to use artificial tears. I read about Restasis but its really expensive and unavailable in Europe.

I´m kind of freaking out and trying to do what I can to make sure I can
    use contacts as long as possible. (I have " terrible retinas" and doctor
    advised IOLs only when I get cataracts ( actually have one already not vision impairing) due to increased RD risk and previous retinal tear.

Anyway for the first time in 20 years I wondered if I could be wearing "better" contacts, asked what brand I was using and looked up some information .I use SGP III which has dk of about 43,5 and wetting angle 20.

I researched, tried to make sense of these values and if I got things right
    Optimum Comfort seems like a great option with dk 65 and wetting angle 6.
    It seems that Optimum Extra or Extreme although with great oxygen permeability 100 and 125 with wetting angles 3 and 6 might be "too fragile"?

Please advise me on these or other options. I'm sure my optician would be understanding enough to take measurements so that if necessary I could just order from the internet.

Thank you immensely beforehand,
    Iris_Sophia

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Iris_Sophia View Post
    Dear Sirs, I really am desperate.

Please pardon my intrusion and kindly read my question.
    I am a 39 year old female with -22 R -17 L (dioptres for glasses) and high astigmatism ( if not mistaken around 5 (?).

I have been accompanied by the same optician and used RGB contact lenses for almost 20 years now. To me be honest I have a pair of old glasses I keep in a drawer as backup but NEVER use them. In fact RGB's literally changed my life, no understatement and can't imagine going back to glasses.

Firstly let me say that I have a very limited choice of professionals I can ask for help.Additionally, my optician has always been competent in the sense that he has always fitted the contacts adequately.

So heres my issue: my contacts have began to feel not so comfortable
    and I am wetting them all the time. Since they are still recent ( 8 months ) and the same ones I always wear I'm pretty sure the problem is that age is knocking and my tears are starting to go out the door ( a woman knows these things). I mentioned this to the optician and he advised me to use artificial tears. I read about Restasis but its really expensive and unavailable in Europe.

I´m kind of freaking out and trying to do what I can to make sure I can
    use contacts as long as possible. (I have " terrible retinas" and doctor
    advised IOLs only when I get cataracts ( actually have one already not vision impairing) due to increased RD risk and previous retinal tear.

Anyway for the first time in 20 years I wondered if I could be wearing "better" contacts, asked what brand I was using and looked up some information .I use SGP III which has dk of about 43,5 and wetting angle 20.

I researched, tried to make sense of these values and if I got things right
    Optimum Comfort seems like a great option with dk 65 and wetting angle 6.
    It seems that Optimum Extra or Extreme although with great oxygen permeability 100 and 125 with wetting angles 3 and 6 might be "too fragile"?

Please advise me on these or other options. I'm sure my optician would be understanding enough to take measurements so that if necessary I could just order from the internet.

Thank you immensely beforehand,
    Iris_Sophia
    1. This is a question for a professional, not the internet
    2. With your case it is especially important that you discuss these matters with your optician, optometrist, ophthalmologist
    3. Why on earth would knowingly order custom lenses in high parameters from the internet, the professional fitting you is likely going to spend a considerable amount of time fitting these lenses and makign sure they are right and then you'll go and order them from some vendor online who has no interest in their actual performance. What is the peripheral curves need modification? What if the lens needs changes? What if you need another fitting a few years from now?
    4. These professionals are getting harder and harder to find because of people like you, the time required to fit you is substantial and their is no profit in it since you'll go and purchase the lenses from someone else who can sell them cheaper since they don't waste time on patients that are difficult like yourself. Now your on the internet trying to find a professional to just give away his/her time for your convienience. Your post although very sweet in introduction, and conclusion is a slap in the face.
    Good luck with your search and good luck with your online purchase, I'm glad that the lenses that in your own words changed you life are just a comodity bought at the cheapest price from the most convienient source for you as possible.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Thread Information