Thread: Two and a half men

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Two and a half men

OK this show isn't for everyone, but I used to watch it... until the other night when they aired the most disgusting episode I have ever seen on the screen, big and small.
    Now I understand the need to be "cutting edge" and "pushing the boundries," but The episode, aired at about 7 in the evening, but I would not, and probably COULD not repeat what was said on the show on this board, and would probably be rightfully suspended if I did.
    There's funny, there's cutting edge funny, then there's just disgusting. Did they fire the previous writers or something?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I watch this show and I agree it isn't for kids but I don't remember a recent show being worse then usual.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Awesome show, but have no idea why it is syndicated in a time period where kids actively watch tv. Or why their parents watch it with them. I remember last year we had a new person start at our office with his family. He invited me over for beer. His wife was watching that show with her kids.

Seems like today many parents just do not take their kids seriously.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    One of the most hilarious shows I've seen- all the actors/actresses are so well cast (and the Candy character is soooo hot :^).

Generally speaking, which episode left the negative impression? Nearly every episode has moment that triggers my parenting radar, but I can't recall one that was particularly more vile than the rest.

The worst one I recall was when he was dating (and um, "getting to know") a girl that might be his half-sister...

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    delete
    Last edited by Dave Nelson; 05-06-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: offensive

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK I posted the lesser offensive lines from the episode, but after reading it later, I still find it offensive enough to edit and delete it.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    OK I posted the lesser offensive lines from the episode, but after reading it later, I still find it offensive enough to edit and delete it.
    What was the episode about?

Bad address email on file melvilletim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    YEP used to watch every week until 2 years ago. it really began getting raunchy at the start of last season.

Banned
    Occupation
    Maybe you are changing. People go into a "conservative" stage when they get to an age. (I've been told.) I love the show, but now I'll be watching for the scum and my conservative views will take over. :(

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am changing, but oddly, I'm getting less conservative, more open mined, and considerably more tolerent of the beliefs and views of others, at least to a degree. The problem is the endless balancing act between respecting free speech, and censorship. I am personally offended by the episode in question, but I have't begun a campaign to "clean up the airwaves."
    The show simply has one less viewer, me.
    The discussion is kind of pointless without specifics, so here goes. (again)
    Charlie and Alan are discussing something about how they used to practice skindiving in the bathtub:

Charlie: ""remember how I convinced you Mom's douche bag was really a breathing apparatus?"
    Alan: Yeah, I smelled like vinegar for a month afterward. "

Then, when Mom showed up, she made some references to something Alan, as a boy, had been caught doing with the family dog and and some peanut butter. The mother complained she had to get rid of the dog after that.
    Charlie says "I loved that dog."
    Mom says "apparently not as much as your brother did."
    Now without any direct reference to what Allan was doing with the dog, I honestly hope few people would be amused by such humour, and insist at least some boundries be respected.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I am changing, but oddly, I'm getting less conservative, more open mined, and considerably more tolerent of the beliefs and views of others, at least to a degree.
    I'd like to think that describes my own aging process. As I'm getting a bit older, I'm finding I still hold rather firmly to my opinions- but I'm less resolute about disagreeing with the opinions of others.

Ah yes, I remember that episode. I wasn't so much offended as I was incredulous. I mean, one of the ongoing punchlines of the show is the dysfunctional nature of Charlie & Alan's childhood- I get that... However, that episode went beyond dysfunctional to just plain deviant (and somewhat out of character I thought). The breathing apparatus is on the edge- but its still kinda funny given the nature of their characters (I can see Charlie doing that)- but the dog... come on!

Still an incredibly funny show. The thing that disturbs my wife is that the kid actor is exposed to a lot of very adult situations (not sure I'd want my kid to be an actor on that show). Still, for a kid, he has a great sense of comedic timing (does the nonchalant ignorance act really well).

Now I just want more episodes that feature Candi! :)

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't remember that, but I agree it's tasteless.

Can you believe that the actress playing Chelsea, Charlies new girlfriend, is going to be 53 next month? I like that they have given him a serious girlfriend.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Definitely one of the funniest shows on TV. If you want something more tame, I think there is a Golden Girls marathon coming up on AMC. :D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    Definitely one of the funniest shows on TV
    That and Big Bang Theory...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you think it is you changing or if it is TV, just watch a TV show that is 12 or more years old.

The "older" shows don't have sexual innuendo after innuendo after innuendo . . . Even the prime time stuff on ABC "Family" would never had aired 10 years ago.

It's TV that has changed. All raunchy sexual jokes - which I find hilarious and appropriate in many cases BTW. But save them for 9pm and later (10pm for you East coasters)

Do like Johns does. Just throw your TV away. If there is something you really want to watch, just rent a DVD and watch on your computer. That way YOU control the programming*.

*I preach to you not from a "holier than thou" position, but from a "don't do what I do" position.

Banned
    Occupation
    I am changing, but oddly, I'm getting less conservative, more open mined, and considerably more tolerent of the beliefs and views of others, at least to a degree. The problem is the endless balancing act between respecting free speech, and censorship. I am personally offended by the episode in question, but I have't begun a campaign to "clean up the airwaves."
    The show simply has one less viewer, me.

That is great. I have stopped watching some very good and highly rated shows for trying to slip their perverted views into what I watch. It hurts sometimes, to stop watching your favorite show. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one doing it. Then sometime the show is cancelled shortly afterwards. They keep putting the crap in anyway. Surely somewhere down the road, maybe with the grand kids they will convince us that it is acceptble or normal. Maybe that is why some of us are becoming more tolerant. I just know I have to stick to it when I give up a show for that. We must have the strength to live by standards of our own. Hats off to you Dave! :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    That and Big Bang Theory...
    After the Christmas episode, just go ahead and give the comedy Emmy to Sheldon.
    "All I need is a viable ovum and I can grow my own Leonard Nimoy!"
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information