Thread: paraoptimetric certification

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

paraoptimetric certification

is it worth it to an optician to have the paraoptimetric certification?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is my opinion only. If you wish to be a stand-alone professional, then no. Opticians have the ability to do their own thing, although the profession is changing. If you wish to be an employee of an OD, then the paraoptometric path is well designed. If you want to work as an employee you amay also want to consider the American Academy of Ophthalmology COA, COT and COMT program. Working in the ophthalmology environment will allow you to do more, because typically ODs do not delegate. COTS, etc. do a great deal in the office. Good luck in your decision.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One of my employees is ABO Certified and is also a Certified Paraoptometric (CPO). I suggested that she get both while she was in the testing state of mind. She had only been working in Optical for a year and passed the ABO and CPO with ease. However, she said that the CPO was a lot easier than the ABO. There are also different levels of paraoptometric certification (CPO, CPOA, CPOT) just like JCAHPO (COA, COT, COMT) has for Ophthalmology. I've heard that the JCAHPO exams go more in depth with the medical side of the eye than the CPO exams. Also, in order to take the JCAHPO exams, you must have worked or be working under the supervision of an Ophthalmologist if I'm not mistaken. Like Warren said, working in Ophthalmology you will get to do more hands-on stuff like refractions, contact lens fittings, using the slit lamp, etc. Whereas in Optometry, most state optometry laws prohibit OD's from delegating these tasks to others. Good luck!

Bad address email on file sharonm516's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    CPO test is nothing more than an office assistant. You dont get into optometry until CPOA and CPOT. I have my CPOT and no doctor has ever offered me anything for having it. The AOA doesnt do much for you either except give some online CE courses.
    I think a lot of it has to do with who you are working for, if they even recognize it, and if they want to give you anything for it.
    I have since just let it lapse and have moved on the NCLE, ABO, and COA....which are more marketable.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Ironically, I am going through a paraoptometric training manual just for fun (yea, I am strange) and I would echo Warren's advise heartily.

I am learning some new things, and some of the same things from a different persceptive. Paraoptemetric information is great for opticians in an Optometry practice.

Sharpstick

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do we have anywhere that Opticians can learn to refract. I know they won't be allowed to, By law............but it would be great to know how?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by ERHALT1 View Post
    Do we have anywhere that Opticians can learn to refract. I know they won't be allowed to, By law............but it would be great to know how?
    Google ROTX Registered Opticians of Texas, they have a program that travels from time to time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thread Information