View Poll Results: Is OptiBoard A Valuable Resource To You?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

52 98.11%
  • No.

1 1.89%

Thread: Is OptiBoard A Valuable Resource to You?

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Is OptiBoard A Valuable Resource to You?

Hi Folks,

I think Steve Machol, the guy responsible for making OptiBoard happen, is too modest to ask for your support of OptiBoard himself so I'll do it. I dare you to find his donation page link, he's burried it so far out of sight. I am not asking you for donations of money in this link; I am asking you to voice your support because OptiBoard needs a Title Sponsor, Announcement: NEW OptiBoard Sponsorship Programs.

Back in October, LaurieC posted this request but I think it got lost in the middle of the thread:
    ......and actually there's more that can be done to help! Transitions' Sponsorship agreement is up in December and a decision is yet unmade on renewal. You can write Transitions and let them know that you appreciate their sponsorship and hope it continues. If you have a contact name or are a contact that might be interested in a sponsorship program with OptiBoard, you can write me as I'm working with Steve on the marketing of OptiBoard. And if you have business that can be referred to Steve do that too!

Thanks OptiBoarders and Thanks Steve!:D

from thread: To my fellow Optiboarders
    It is December already and Laurie didn't get much of a response from members of OptiBoard. Running OptiBoard takes a ton of work and Steve does a terriffic job but he can't do it alone; OptiBoard needs a sponsor. I think Laurie may have gotten so few responses because some members are also shy and don't want to personally write to a major company. If it is easier for you, post your thoughts about why Transitions should continue to offer some form of sponsorship to OptiBoard here and we will figure out how to get your comments to Transitions. We can probably find a way to email this thread to them. That way everyone remains annonymous. If you don't want to write anything, please vote at the top so Transitions or any future sponsors can get an idea of how much you folks want OptiBoard to continue.

Thanks everyone,
    Jo

Bad address email on file Don Lee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optiboard is a great resource and very valuable tool. Where else can you share information and solve problems with real opticians?

Don

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Thumbs up The Only Place of it's Kind

I am from India. I found Optiboard sponcored by the Tranzitions the One and only Place for Opticians to exchange their thoughts.
    It's educating, entertaining and amazing.
    No words can describe the zeal and dedication with which Steve puts his soul in it. I think, next decade will be seeing a Big Bang of the net,as far as India is concerned. With who so ever remains it's sponsorers, Optibord will definatly grow more and more in this decade. Tranzitions, Thank you very much for getting things roll,
    and wish you all the best to have a Huge Indian Market in next decade.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You guys are right! I often run across questions during the day and haven't found a better knowledgebase for answers than OptiBoard yet. I think there are members representing just about every area of Optics here from high tech manufacturing and distribution to Opticians and Doctors. If you post a question or ask for opinions, you often have replies being posted that same day. What better resources are there than the presidents of lens companies and state organizations, R&D folks from every area, the folks who actually make frames and lenses or business owners when it comes to having the answers? At OptiBoard, it is the members that make it such a valuable resource for information.

There is also an area for plain old conversation; that's a rare thing for any industry message community. Many of us either don't have the time or are in a setting where we can't just relax and either chat or vent but we have a place for that here.

The last great thing about OptiBoard is our administrator. It seems that if OptiBoarders ask they shall recieve. Everytime there has been a request for more features, an easier interface or faster servers Steve has gone out of his way to make it happen. He is constantly fine tuning OptiBoard so that it is a community where all of us can enjoy being.

OptiBoard provides a great opportunity for potential sponsors. Having a logo at the top of the page will provide exposure to some very talented individuals who are very serious about their profession. Many of them are private practitioners and seek out a variety of products and services on a daily basis. Having a logo up top of the pages will help keep a certain sponsor on their minds and will provide an easy link to the company's own website. Sponsoring the biggest and best optical internet community would be a great business move for any company.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To Whom it may concern.....

To Whom it may concern,
    I am asked the question Is the Optiboard a valuable resource for me? Framing a proper answer is difficult because of the many facets associated by the nature of the beast (as it were).I have been around this board since its earliest days in 1995 but I was a couple of years becoming a member.( I still had some reservations about the safety of the internet....but at age 55 shouldn't have been too worried about pedophiles.)In any event I became hooked and began to visit daily just to find out what had happened overnight.My only computer was at work. I finally got over my fear of posting and started blasting away.Now they can't shut me up!:bbg: Rather than bore you with all that this site has become to its members let me just list some of the things that happened to me during the past 365 days.For those of you members that have had similar experiences, please consider adding your own list.
    During the past year I have;

• Patronised a sponsor
    • Gained a lot of knowledge about my profession and a greater understanding of the other areas of this industry to which I had not been exposed.
    • Ventured into, and came out realatively unscathed from the Opthalmic Optics forum with only minor ego damage!
    • Carried on a real time dialog with people in the optical industry from as far away as Europe.
    • Sold another lensometer for a friend
    • Defended the honour of a young lady from England
    • Calmed an argument which had become a shouting match
    • Assisted a member with a marketing problem
    • Assisted a member in locating a frame part.
    • Found a Titmus Vision Tester manual for a member in need from Colorado
    • Met a few hundred nice folks, and learned about their likes, dislikes, and found we shared many common problems
    • Had the time of my life learning to write in colour and gained new appreciation for Lilac.
    • Began an apprenticeship to become an English Gentleman
    • Helped a member name his dog
    • Swapped golf stories with other members similarly addicted.
    • Convinced some new folks to join the board and have some of what I was enjoying so much

Suffice to say that we members get a lot out of our participation.It boils down to giving assistance or getting assistance.It involves aquiring new friends and sharing information, be it personal in Just Conversation, or professional in the other forums.The Optiboard is a very worthwhile place. I don't know how to say it better than that.
    Harry C. Jilson....Cape Codger Hyannis MA. I think thats the absolute first time I have written my whole name out on this board!
    Last edited by hcjilson; 12-18-2001 at 12:53 PM.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Thumbs up I Don't Know What I'd Do Without It!

As a consultant, I must conduct a tremendous amount of research in all areas of the industry. Although I use many sources, OptiBoard is the one I use for every topic. When advising a client on a particular purchasing issue, whether it's equipment, materials, services, etc I know I can always get the best "Consumer Reports" from OptiBoard. If I'm advising on the vendor side of the house on a sales issue, again OptiBoard is the first place I go to seek the pulse of the marketplace.

And the wealth of Human Resources is terrific. Often, I must be a Jack Of All Trades, which of course I'm not! The overwhelming number of times I've needed help in an area outside my expertise, I have found it through a member of OptiBoard.

Recruiting? I've been hired from OptiBoard and I've hired from OptiBoard.

New product news, happenings in the industry? As much as I love and rely on our various trade publications, due to publishing schedules, often I get the news right here long before it reachs the virtual or actual publication.

And besides! It's just plain fun! I can't count the number of times I've sat alone in front of a computer laughing till I cried! Let's face it, as in any industry, we support those companies that give us more than just great product. Would I support a company that gave me this great, exhaustive information tool that was also tremendous fun and the best network in the industry. Would it make a difference in the decisions I influence? YOU BET!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not a huge fan of photochromatics, but I must say, we sell Transitions, and only Transitions in our office. We tried SunSensors, they worked fine, but there was no reason to have two similar products in the same place. I kept Transitions because of Opti Board. (period)

I use Varilux over other PALs because of the support they give my office w/ co-op. Varilux co-ops my advertising, and by way of the OptiBoard, Transitions co-ops my (continuing) education.

Thanks Transitions!

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation

For certain

To be Sure, Optiboard is a valuable resourse to me. I am bursting at the sides with questions be it optical or otherwise. I sometimes take up the role as a silent observer but dont let that fool you, My interest in optical related topics is immense. Optiboard has broadend my horizon's and gave me valuble insights into the way the business works. I am able to relate to others questions being a consumer and in turn I feel safe to ask questions.Optiboard members stem from all over the world, be it Asia, Europe, Australlia, or America, it is amazing to see how different cultures can combine and work in Unity together, Helping one another, sharing ideas, and making new friends.

Optiboard is a valuable resource to me because their is an entertaining side to it. Many hours of laughs can be obtained, optiboard is safe, easy to navigate, interesting, educational and overall all a valuable resourse thanks to Forum Administrators, Moderators, Steve Machol and the many regular posters which make this site what it is.

I would like to take this moment to wish all Optiboards a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and prosperous New Year 2002

Ian
    :cheers:

OptiBoard Professional Mike Fretto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I dont think I can say anything that hasnt already been said about OptiBoard. In my preparation for the State Board Exam OptiBoard proved to be an invaluable souce of information and encouragement for me. A day doesnt go by I dont at some time log on to see whats going on, whether to post a new question usually lab related for Jeff or some other Lab Rat to help with. Or just to see if there are any new posts that I might learn a little something about. I think that OptiBoard via the internet has helped to create a stronger group of Opticians by giving us the oppotunity to communicate with fellow Opticians around the world by sharing our experiences and knowlege. Thanks Again Steve, Transitions, and all who are involved behind the scenes.
    Last edited by Mike Fretto; 12-20-2001 at 01:55 PM.
    Mike

Bad address email on file

about the poll...

Folks,
    Although i don't use it as often as i should,i do feel that the optiboard is a valuable tool and resource for those of us who do not have a degree in physics and have difficulty understanding mathematical equations and formulas longer than the Amazon.Sometimes,ya just gotta ask for help!of course,as you may have suspected...my feelings toward the optiboard have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that my lab partner,Mike Fretto is standing here with a knife-edge +10.00 poly held to my throat.And for your information,he has no ties whatsoever to the mafia.Really.None.Seriously.Why would i lie?(o.k. He's gone.Somebody!Please!Help me!!!)

Danny Parker

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OptiBoard is an invaluable resource for me in many ways. First, because it is impossible to know the answers to every problem and/or situation I encounter in a days work, I can turn to the 'Board for help. Second, because I work alone, it provides me with a little outside contact within my profession. Last, but certainly not least, I encourage all of my Opticianry students at Northern Virginia Community College to join and actively participate in our discussions. They need to know that there is more to be learned than can be provided by just one employer or one instructor.
    Our industry vendors should note that we take great pains to be objective in our product evaluations and can provide invaluable insight on the wants and needs of Opticianry, Optometry and Ophthalmology.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: To Whom it may concern.....

I must say that Harry said it so well (as usual) and I am unashamedly going to use some of Harry's post because they apply to me as well.
    • Patronised a sponsor
    • Gained a lot of knowledge about my profession and a greater understanding of the other areas of this industry to which I had not been exposed.
    • Met a few hundred nice folks, and learned about their likes, dislikes, and found we shared many common problems
    • Convinced some new folks to join the board and have some of what I was enjoying so much
    To this I would add that I thoroughly enjoy my regular trips into the Ophthalmic Optics forum and my contact with the many experts on our board.

OptiBoard is a very important addition to the international ophthalmic optics scene. It is the ideal positive vehicle for sponsors to be associated.

Regards
    David Wilson

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I work for a wholesale lab (a Hoya lab- let's get that out of the way) and the Optiboard is a great resource for me. I get HONEST - sometimes painfully honest- feedback about my product and the other products we carry- as well as honest feedback about what my competitors carry. I get the scoop on new products and technologies and let's not forget the ophthalmic optics section which teaches me something every time I pull it up. To have access to skilled optical minds from all over the world is something I don't think you can estimate the value of. I always tell my accounts about the board and I mention it being sponsored by Transitions. I think that lends something to its credibility- we all know it is very credible but a newbie might not. I know the "powers that be" where I work read this and I encourage us to get involved;) Please keep up the good work!!!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Keep up the great work...

Steve had done an excellent job in getting this organized and controlled. Thanks!

One can learn more here, efficiently, by accident than doing a great deal of reasearch on a subject.

Then when we post a question, problem or comment it is responded to quickly by a wide variety of people.

Although I must say that we get into some real tangles sometimes, one still learns what the other really thinks. We may not agree or even like what is said, but it is Great!:)

Nothing has contibuted more positively in recent years to the unity and communication within this industry than Optiboard!

:cheers: Homer:cheers:

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

:D life just wouldn't be the same without optiboard.
    learn a little laugh a lot it's all here @ optiboard.:cheers:
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Can I have a witness?

Hello,

To all (future) sponsors...

It is wise to invest in this bulletin board. The diverse group represented here is unique, and everyone gets alot out of the discussions going on. I send my opticianry students here. I also talk about this site at the courses I teach at Vision East, West, Eyequest, etc...

As far as advertising dollars go, they will go far here.

I know that my students are acutely aware of the corporations who give back by supporting educational types resources such as this one. At a time when budgets are tight, I believe that dollars invested here will return to you ten fold.

Happy New Year Everyone,

Laurie Pierce : )

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Hi,

I don't often post to the Optiboard, but I always log on to see what is happening on the board. I have been able to view valuable information that has assisted me. I also fit quite a few Transitions here in Arizona for many of our winter visitors and full time residents.

I would like to seeOptiboard gain more sponsorship. This is the only board that I come to daily. I have visited other boards, but Optiboard is the best.

I would like to thank Steve for all his hard work. I would hope more Optiboarders will vote and assist all of us, so that we don't lose a valuable source of information.

Happy New Year to All,

Dale

Occupation
    Thanks Everyone!

And Dale I just finished my move back to Arizona. I moved into the Arrowhead Ranch area in Glendale. Next month Jim G will be moving out here as well and along with Wes Trayner maybe we can have a mini-meeting of Arizona OptiBoarders!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome back to Arizona Steve

It would be fun to have an Arizona get together. Congratulations on your relocation.

Best Wishes for the New Year.

Dale:cheers:

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    When I need to find info on a frame, I drag out the FRAMEs book (ditto for lenses and the LENSES book). When I still can't find what I need to know, I visit OptiBoard- need I say more?

In addition to being a resource for things like part numbers and lens availabilities, OptiBoard keeps me up to date with the trends in the industry, tricks of the trade, and how others in my field cope with the day to day grind of Opticianry, Optometry, and Ophthalmics in general.

Is OptiBoard a valuable resource? I dare anyone to spend an hour or two browsing this site and say it isn't!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Mire Polls................

I thinks of some poll to give a vaulable additon.

Of course if the Optiboard would not be a valuable informatioin source I would have gone elsewhere.

It is actually interesting to meet so many people that DO know so many things in the profession as well as meeting so many people that DO know so little, and we can actually learn from both of them.

Thread Information