Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone plant a garden?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Anyone plant a garden?

I planted about half of my garden last week, and trying to finish up today. I started this small project last year with about 50 sq. feet, and planted tomatoes, peppers, onions, radishes, carrots, and cukes. The tomatoes took over the garden, and it will need to expand. I use no pesticides or sprays, other than organic compost with cow manure.

I am building a new section today for the tomatoes only, and will cut back how many I plant. I have to build an enclosure type deal to keep my dog, who thinks hes a goat, out.

Put the carrots, onions, radishes in last week, and already have green tops on the radishes.:)

Mrs Obx wants to try some peas also, so I'll try to find room.

Off to get some top soil, lots, to cover the sand yard I have. Good thing I already put in irrigation in that area for when it hits 90 everyday.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I did a garden last year without much thought. We had tons and tons of tomatoes but the pepers just didn't grow well at all. I was told to get some black rubber chips to throw down on the ground near the pepper plants to keep them warmer. We'll see.

If you look on instructables.com they have lots of interesting ideas. Some people are growing tomatoes inside a rubbermaid box that has a built in watering supply so you only water them once every two weeks or so.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I do mostly container gardening on my deck right now. Just a little of this and that. I'd love to be able to have an actual garden someday though, especially for lettuce. I'd definitely have to build some kind of a good barrier too, because my dog's not part goat, but I think he'd just lay on everything while he watched the rabbits eat :p. Maybe when things slow down a bit. I love the idea of the rubber chips, makes sense.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I haven't had a garden since I quit smoking in 1981.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I haven't had a garden since I quit smoking in 1981.
    What were you smoking Dick?;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No....

Zero planting here in the woods of SE PA.

It seems that:

Papaver somniferum,

Valerian,

Yerba Mate,

Tettnanger,

and

Mentha

grow *wild* around these parts!

I will be "transplanting" some Sassafras from the Fezz Estate to the Fezz Homestead this year {two weeks from now}.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:;)

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dude, let me know when those 'wild' plants are in season. I will be more than happy to sacrifice my duties here to help you with the harvest!:cheers:

All I have is some sweet corn, tomatos, and cucumbers in containers here.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Bad address email on file victory is sweet's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up garden?

Was snowing AGAIN here today, with temps hovering around +1 C. So, garden, yeah soon!

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by victory is sweet View Post
    Was snowing AGAIN here today, with temps hovering around +1 C. So, garden, yeah soon!
    That's too bad! We didn't quite hit 90(F) (32C) here today. Had 3 days in a row last week that high. Stuff is growing great here!
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Yeahhhh

Actually, we did plant a garden this year. I love to play in the dirt. We planted 3 types of tomatoes, 4 types of peppers, 2 types of cucumbers, 2 types of corn, 2 kinds of watermelon, 4 types of squash, some cantalope, bush beans, lima beans, okra, collard greens, lettuce, and eggplant. I've had lots of herbs in containers for a long time, but this is the first garden we've done in over 25 years. I hope we get something out of it. Anyway, it's fun to see it growing. ;)

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    ...............................and planted tomatoes, peppers, onions, radishes, carrots, and cukes. The tomatoes took over the garden, and it will need to expand. I use no pesticides or sprays, other than organic compost with cow manure.
    Did all that for a few years and totally lost out to the squirrels, who ripped down all tomates if the were green and the the ones who get red plus dug up everything else. So I gave up and stick to flowers...............

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I garden in the British sense of the word (i.e., I call my lawn the garden :^). Just trying to keep Bermuda growing in the god-awful Summers we have here in Texas is challenging enough- especially since they don't even have real "dirt" here (just a bunch of hard, non-water holding red clay stuff)!

This year I am trying to avoid pesticides and herbicides though (using some natural fert called "Mill-something or other."

Occupation
    I planted about half of my garden last week, and trying to finish up today. I started this small project last year with about 50 sq. feet, and planted tomatoes, peppers, onions, radishes, carrots, and cukes. The tomatoes took over the garden, and it will need to expand. I use no pesticides or sprays, other than organic compost with cow manure.

I am building a new section today for the tomatoes only, and will cut back how many I plant. I have to build an enclosure type deal to keep my dog, who thinks hes a goat, out.

Put the carrots, onions, radishes in last week, and already have green tops on the radishes.:)

Mrs Obx wants to try some peas also, so I'll try to find room.

Off to get some top soil, lots, to cover the sand yard I have. Good thing I already put in irrigation in that area for when it hits 90 everyday.
    We have been gardening for years and all organic. Be carefull with your manure, their was a pesticide by dow chemicals that was approved for spraying on grass and was supposed to break down in 2 years, but turns out it's much more potent and takes almost 5-6 to break down and it's still active after a horse east it. Many a garden has sucumb to this pesticide and once you use manure with it it takes either 5-6 years to break down or your gonna have to replace all your topsoil.

Oh and we don't plant til mothers day, last frost for us northerners, also if you see any at a nursery near you try the 4th of July hybrid tomatoes by Burpee, the yeild is high with small to medium sized tomatoes, flavors good, and they're hearty.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by bwoz View Post
    I do mostly container gardening on my deck right now. Just a little of this and that. I'd love to be able to have an actual garden someday though, especially for lettuce. I'd definitely have to build some kind of a good barrier too, because my dog's not part goat, but I think he'd just lay on everything while he watched the rabbits eat :p. Maybe when things slow down a bit. I love the idea of the rubber chips, makes sense.
    Great solution for lettuce, take 2 of those coconut shell 1/2 round hanging baskets fill them with your favorite compost or topsoil and then use some garden wire to wire the things together in a sphere, now cut "X" in them every 2-4 inches and insert your lettuce plants thenhang them, when they grow you have a big lettuce ball and the animals can't get to them.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Finally got the tomatoes in, 8 plants total. Some cherry type, some hybrid, some whatever.., just too much for 2 of us, it seems that we give away more than we eat.

Picked a few green onions that were left from last years failed attempt. They sprouted very nice in March, so I left them alone. Very small, but tasty with a cold beer.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just moved some of the manure pile to the garden area, and will turn it all over on Tuesday. Hopefully will have it planted by this weekend.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Banned
    Occupation
    Mines in. 12 German Johnsons, One Sweet 100, one red bell, one green bell, 4 cucumbers, 4 squash, 4 short rows of green beans, (already sprouting). There will be more as the season moves on.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Radishes

I've gotten some radishes, and some sweet banana peppers, already (peppers weren't from seeds, though). Lots of blossoms on my tomatoes. Got some small green tomatoes on three of them already. Most of my plants are up a few inches. Corn is up about 12 inches. Time to co-plant the pole beans with them. Watermelon plants are still really small.

I'm loving watching things grow. :bbg: So far the rabbits aren't eating the whole garden. I was worried about that. I suppose the dog hair that I put in the garden is helping.

Diane

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you guys and gals prefer raised beds or regular "in-the-ground" gardens?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Both

Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    Some of our's is raised and some is in the ground. We did a raised bed in the area that the ground needed more help. Both are working well.:)

Diane

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    My "in the ground" would be all sand. I dumped about 1000 pounds of composted top soil right over the sand, and will add to it every year.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This has been an interesting and informative thread...

Last night my husband turns to me and says, 'hey, ya wanna plant a garden?' :idea: Just out-of-the-blue...But I'm thinking it's too late? He says he wants to make a raised bed garden and plant some yellow squash, watermelon, cucumber, etc...

I've had a raised-bed garden once before...it's been a while...but I'm thinking we should have gotten the garden prepped long before now...what do you guys and gals think?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your still fine. Last year I think I finished about planting about the third week in May. Hustle up this weekend and go for it!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your still fine. Last year I think I finished about planting about the third week in May. Hustle up this weekend and go for it!
    OK, thanks obx!

Here's to a very fruitful garden! :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No worries Heather. I just got mine in last weekend.:bbg:

Thread Information