Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone plant a garden?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a small garden with peppers and tomatoes. I also have some herbs. I have trouble getting the tomatoes before the birds do, though. :(

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Hi guys and gals!

Our corn is very tall, and we're just starting to see the "tassels" in the top! I'm assuming that means corn is not far behind! :)

We've had cucmbers coming out of our ears...luckily the kids like cucumbers, too! If nothing else, we know what our dinner side dish will be! :D

We've got 4 of the cutest watermelons growing...I'm looking forward to those, too...we've got 1 cantelope as well!

We had a fair amount of yellow squash, the first batch was pretty tasty, but the second was sort of tough and really nubby?? I wonder if it's because we jammed so many different fruits and vegies into the garden?

We've learned lots of lessons, one of which is that we need to plant a bigger garden next time! :):D:)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I have a small garden with peppers and tomatoes. I also have some herbs. I have trouble getting the tomatoes before the birds do, though. :(
    Hi Happylady!

we put out a stake that holds an aluminum pie plate attached to a string, the noise seems to keep the crows at bay...maybe that would work for you, too?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post

we put out a stake that holds an aluminum pie plate attached to a string, the noise seems to keep the crows at bay...maybe that would work for you, too?
    I could try that, thanks. :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ants

Ants are a problem, but at least they don't eat much. The dog hair seems to keep varmits out.

Heather, you can let nature take it's cours on the tassles, but you can help them along as well. Just wait until the "seeds", (I don't know what to call them) are ready and pick some off and place close to the cornstalk on the leaves. That's where the corn grows. Put some on each leaf and you should get corn on almost each leaf. When the silks on the corn are completely dry, they're ready to pick. Yum...

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I could try that, thanks. :)
    Hope it works out for you...would be a shame to miss out on a terrific home-grown tomato!:)

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Ants are a problem, but at least they don't eat much. The dog hair seems to keep varmits out.

Heather, you can let nature take it's cours on the tassles, but you can help them along as well. Just wait until the "seeds", (I don't know what to call them) are ready and pick some off and place close to the cornstalk on the leaves. That's where the corn grows. Put some on each leaf and you should get corn on almost each leaf. When the silks on the corn are completely dry, they're ready to pick. Yum...

Diane
    I took your idea about the dog hair! (we got plenty of that to spare...if anyone needs some, just let me know, I'll stuff it in a baggie and send it along with a smile! :D) That works great...we've got rabbits and deer in the back yard, and none of them have touched our goodies! ;)

When you say "seeds," is that what I'm seeing in those "tassels?"...the "tassels" look kind of like the top of wheat, with little "kernels" on each stem. Do I just take the little "kernels" off the "tassel" then add them to the other leaves without "tassels?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    Hope it works out for you...would be a shame to miss out on a terrific home-grown tomato!:)

I took your idea about the dog hair! (we got plenty of that to spare...if anyone needs some, just let me know, I'll stuff it in a baggie and send it along with a smile! :D) That works great...we've got rabbits and deer in the back yard, and none of them have touched our goodies! ;)

When you say "seeds," is that what I'm seeing in those "tassels?"...the "tassels" look kind of like the top of wheat, with little "kernels" on each stem. Do I just take the little "kernels" off the "tassel" then add them to the other leaves without "tassels?"
    I'm not sure what to call them, but you described it correctly. They will fall naturally, but will have a better chance of higher yield if you "help" them land on the leaves. Make sure that you put them really close to the cornstalk in the crevice of the leaf and stalk. That way, they'll attach and form ears of corn.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Thread Information