Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone plant a garden?

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Not much. I'll can some green beans and some mater sandwiches. There are some peppers, squash and carrots.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gemstone, that looks like deer and rabbit country in the back.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper Well, the garden is on it's way...

My husband and I (after the encouragement we received here :cheers:) decided to go for it...so we talked about it last night and we decided to do a raised bed or two in a nice sunny spot in our back yard. So this morning we get up and I'm getting ready for work and he says well, I'll go with the kids and get the "stuff" so that when you get home, we can get to work on it. So I called him at about 12:30 to check in and see how the shopping for "stuff" is going...and he says, oh, I'm almost done with the beds :drop: LOL!! When that fella gets something on his mind, he gets to work, no holdin' him back! So, anyway, I'll be leaving here in a little while and when I get home I'll help him "finish up"....which, I think, means help him watch the plants grow! LOL! :D

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and sharing your stories...I'm looking forward to watching our (my husband's :D) garden grow. :)

PS..the little jumping man at the top is supposed to be us gardening, not being angry! :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary...

...how does your garden grow?

OH, Man! We've got baby vegie plants popping up all over the place!

We are so excited...I think my husband is going to switch careers and become a full-time farmer LOL! :D The kids love it, and we're all learning from this experience!

So, tell us, how is your garden growing??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ahhhh

Picked my first green beans this morning. They're so cute. :bbg: The joys of gardening. I go out every morning to measure them. It's fun to watch things grow.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Re-planted some radishes Saturday, as the first batch did not grow. We had quite a bit of rain, so maybe that was the problem. The weeds are growing great, and are taking over. Patient brought me some onions that are supposed to get to 2lbs each, so I put those in, and time will tell.

I will be looking for some barbed wire to enclose, as I can't keep my dog out of the beds.:finger:

Banned
    Occupation

Update

Green beans looking good

There are some tomatoes there

quash and peppers

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey, sounds like everyone is having some sort of success! Thanks for the photos, gemstone! I can really see how much your garden has taken off! :)

We have so much stuff growing in our little space, I think we may have overdone it....just a tad :o Oh, well...they might all grow into one giant vegie, but, heck, we might just be the only one in the neighborhood with "toma-squasha-radishalopes" :D Maybe we'll win the blue ribbon at the fair! :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'd like to taste

a toma-squasha-radishalope...Sounds interesting.

Picked more green beans today. The ones yesterday were the best I've ever eaten. I wonder why???;) Anyway, it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    Hey, sounds like everyone is having some sort of success! Thanks for the photos, gemstone! I can really see how much your garden has taken off! :)

We have so much stuff growing in our little space, I think we may have overdone it....just a tad :o Oh, well...they might all grow into one giant vegie, but, heck, we might just be the only one in the neighborhood with "toma-squasha-radishalopes" :D Maybe we'll win the blue ribbon at the fair! :D

Diane

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post

Picked more green beans today. The ones yesterday were the best I've ever eaten. I wonder why???;) Anyway, it's fun.

Diane
    'Cause you put your heart and hard work into it...that always makes things better! :)

PS, I'll let you know how that "toma-squasha-radishalope" tastes like...LOL!;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Everything doing OK, except radishes. I believe I may have bad bags of seeds, as I have never had this problem before.

Mr. "just a bushy tail away from a rat" chowed down on one of my biggest green tomato's yesterday. He left the evidence on top of the fence post.:finger:

Barbed wire will go in if the pilfering continues.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Cucumbers...

running out the gazoo...suppose I'll have to break out the old pickle recipes. Should be able to pick tomatoes in a couple days. Squash, peppers and green beans are going crazy and taste wonderful. My corn is coming on and they are so cute. Have tassles and everything.:bbg:

Diane

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We Got Radishes!!!

Mind you, I can't stand radishes :p, but the hubby loves them :)...we are so excited about our vegies!! We had some of our bib lettuce last night on hamburgers! Our squash is coming along nicely, it is toooo cute...'bout 3 inches long...I can't wait for those to be ready!

I feel just like Farmer MacGregor! :D This has been great fun...I love hearing these garden stories!

(hmmm..maybe I'll put a produce stand out in front of my shop! LOL! ;))

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    We have gardens here where we live at The Overlook (www.masonichealthsystem.org) in Charlton, MA but since we are in Oregon from the end of June through November there aint much sense in putting anything in the ground. Amazingly our neighbors have not had any loss to varmints or polecats despite the rural location. The raised gardens are a blessing for some of our older neighbors.

Unfortunately, we can't put anything in the ground in Southern Oregon unless we want to enclose it in 50 foot high electrified fencing sort of like Club Gitmo. The deer are terrible out there. I sometimes find them in the refrigerator!

Anyone got an idea for a repellent?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dirty Harry's Deer Repellent!

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I prefer Hornady's XTP 240 grain stuffed over 23.5 of H-110.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I prefer Hornady's XTP 240 grain stuffed over 23.5 of H-110.
    You don't have my bride to contend with "Your not gonna shoot Bambi are you?" Cripes, she even asked me to go to the feed store and get some raccoon feed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...The deer are terrible out there. I sometimes find them in the refrigerator!
    LOL! That deer is lookin' for a beer, no doubt! :bbg:

"Bambi" and a few "waskally wabbits" come into our back yard, we put dog hair in our garden (per Diane's suggestion :)) we've also got some tin pie plates hanging on posts at each corner of the garden. So far, we haven't had any issues with "varmits" ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You don't have my bride to contend with "Your not gonna shoot Bambi are you?" .
    No, no, no!

We are teaching Bambi how to dance!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Here in Frostbite Falls we don't have to worry about Bambi, it's his bigger cousin Bullwinkle. :( Mooses can destroy any garden made and will eat almost anything in one. BUT, I have a friend in Minneapolis that has the answer to the problem :D He has a pet Siberian tiger and the droppings from it made the BEST varmit repellent I've ever seen. :D Scares everything away. :D :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Today's menu

Fresh green beans, fresh yellow squash, fresh zuccini, fresh okra, fresh tomatoes. Made some sweet dill pickles out of my cuckumbers this morning, OK, but will be better later. Made tilapia to go with it. Then for dessert, fresh picked blackberries made into a blackberry pizza. I saw the blackberry pizza recipe on Food Network yesterday, and just had to do one. It was fabulous. :bbg::bbg::bbg: Picked the blackberries this morning when it was not so hot.

Oh, and I did work today...too.

Diane

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Fresh green beans, fresh yellow squash, fresh zuccini, fresh okra, fresh tomatoes. Made some sweet dill pickles out of my cuckumbers this morning, OK, but will be better later. Made tilapia to go with it. Then for dessert, fresh picked blackberries made into a blackberry pizza. I saw the blackberry pizza recipe on Food Network yesterday, and just had to do one. It was fabulous. :bbg::bbg::bbg: Picked the blackberries this morning when it was not so hot.

Oh, and I did work today...too.

Diane
    Diane,

Save the Zucchini flowers and follow this link. You'll fall in love with this recipe.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...ipe/index.html

I like pairing it in the summer with a drink concoction I made myself:

Mago Rose Limeade:

2 cups Diced Mango
    1/2 cup Lime Juice
    4 cups Cold Water
    1 cup Rose Water (find it in your middle eastern food store or gourmet grocery store)
    1 to 1 1/2 cup sugar

place 2 cups of water and sugar in a saucepan and dissolve over low heat this is our simple syrup, puree the diced mango, add all the rest of the ingredients into a pitcher.

Watch peoples amazement as their sense are tickled with the sweet taste of mango the bitter of the lime and the aroma of the rose water. You can substitute out honey for half the sugar in the recipe as well and it comes out awesome, or even sub out the rose water for orange blossum water to pair with a more asian themed lunch or dinner.

ATTENTION -FEZZ- This recipe is best spiked with either a light rum or vodka, a little tripple sec is nice as well. For color grenadine can be poured over the top of the glass like a tequila sunrise, but reduce the amount of sugar or honey in the recipe if using grenadine.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks Harry

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Diane,

Save the Zucchini flowers and follow this link. You'll fall in love with this recipe.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...ipe/index.html

I like pairing it in the summer with a drink concoction I made myself:

Mago Rose Limeade:

2 cups Diced Mango
    1/2 cup Lime Juice
    4 cups Cold Water
    1 cup Rose Water (find it in your middle eastern food store or gourmet grocery store)
    1 to 1 1/2 cup sugar

place 2 cups of water and sugar in a saucepan and dissolve over low heat this is our simple syrup, puree the diced mango, add all the rest of the ingredients into a pitcher.

Watch peoples amazement as their sense are tickled with the sweet taste of mango the bitter of the lime and the aroma of the rose water. You can substitute out honey for half the sugar in the recipe as well and it comes out awesome, or even sub out the rose water for orange blossum water to pair with a more asian themed lunch or dinner.

ATTENTION -FEZZ- This recipe is best spiked with either a light rum or vodka, a little tripple sec is nice as well. For color grenadine can be poured over the top of the glass like a tequila sunrise, but reduce the amount of sugar or honey in the recipe if using grenadine.
    :)I'll have to try this recipe. I've seen various blossom recipes before and have never decided when you can get the blossoms. Does that mean no squash? Of course if the blossoms are on long stems, they don't produce anyway.

Diane

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Indian corn, tomatoes, kalirabi, radishes, squash, and cucumbers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    No, no, no!

We are teaching Bambi how to dance!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::D
    Here's what you need to protect your garden from deer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAVYYe87b9w
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Storm came through

...and took 1/2 of the corn down. Lots of wind. I was going to need to harvest it in a few more days anyway, but that made me do it sooner. Harder to pick while it's lying on the ground. We had planted pole beans in with it, so my husband still needed to stake it back up for the beans.

The corn is the best I ever ate.;)

Diane

Thread Information